• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miami Dolphins Off-Season Thread

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dolphins Off-Season off to a controversial start already - Xavien Howard arrested late yesterday due to a domestic dispute. The team is aware and is gathering details before commenting further.

Given how Flores and this front office are running things now, depending on the facts of the situation - this could be the end of Howard in a Dolphins uniform.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In non-Dolphins news, Adam Gase already alienating players on his team that HE has a personal beef with. Asked about Le'Veon Bell and if he wants him back next season. His response "He's under contract for three more years. Ask Joe Douglas. I'm not in charge of personnel" Before being asked the same question and giving a shorter version of the same response.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some shocking and not so shocking news on two front for the Dolphins -- the team has fired OC Chad O'Shea.

Tough for him considering circumstances. First, it was his first season as a play caller. Then, the massive and constant roster turnover -- especially on offense. It took him a while to find his stride as a play caller, but even then -- it just wasn't enough. The unwillingness to run the ball and stick with it hurt the offense the entire season, as much if not more than any other factor. Of course, it doesn't help when you have a QB that wants to be the hero on every play, and you must run a pass-happy offense in order for him to feel useful.

The Dolphins were 27th in total offense. They obviously weren't any better in the run/pass split. But, again -- that has to do with who the QB is and how you have to call games.

This is yet another reason why the Dolphins need to go younger at QB - be it Rosen or a draftee not named Tua -- or another veteran that will run the offense more efficiently and not always try to be a hero.

On the flip side, this could mean that Jim Caldwell is ready to return from medical leave and take on the OC role and not just be an "offensive consultant. It will be interesting to see what direction the team goes in this spot.

OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo and safeties coach Tony Oden also let go -- these two make a little more sense. The OL struggled due to inexperience and roster turnover as well as injuries -- but a change was needed. As for the safety spot, it was simply a season-long weak spot along with the rest of secondary.

We will certainly have options to replace these guys especially considering all the coaching/staff turnover that has started today and will continue in the next few days.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some shocking and not so shocking news on two front for the Dolphins -- the team has fired OC Chad O'Shea.

Tough for him considering circumstances. First, it was his first season as a play caller. Then, the massive and constant roster turnover -- especially on offense. It took him a while to find his stride as a play caller, but even then -- it just wasn't enough. The unwillingness to run the ball and stick with it hurt the offense the entire season, as much if not more than any other factor. Of course, it doesn't help when you have a QB that wants to be the hero on every play, and you must run a pass-happy offense in order for him to feel useful.

The Dolphins were 27th in total offense. They obviously weren't any better in the run/pass split. But, again -- that has to do with who the QB is and how you have to call games.

This is yet another reason why the Dolphins need to go younger at QB - be it Rosen or a draftee not named Tua -- or another veteran that will run the offense more efficiently and not always try to be a hero.

On the flip side, this could mean that Jim Caldwell is ready to return from medical leave and take on the OC role and not just be an "offensive consultant. It will be interesting to see what direction the team goes in this spot.

OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo and safeties coach Tony Oden also let go -- these two make a little more sense. The OL struggled due to inexperience and roster turnover as well as injuries -- but a change was needed. As for the safety spot, it was simply a season-long weak spot along with the rest of secondary.

We will certainly have options to replace these guys especially considering all the coaching/staff turnover that has started today and will continue in the next few days.
I'm hearing that McDaniels wanted our QB coach so OC was let go I'm guessing to keep him. Maybe he's the brains. Caldwell can also be a part of this in some way. We'll know more shortly.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing official yet but it seems like Chan Gailey will be the guy.

This would mean the Fins will be in a lot more 3-4 WR sets - Spread heavy concepts.

Fitzpatrick had his best season under Gailey - so its going to be helpful to him. On the negative side, for me at least -- it means they will probably go with Fitzpatrick for another season. Although he can also be brought in to groom Josh Rosen.

Justin Herbert is now a name that is buzzing loudly among draft talking heads for the Dolphins as of this potential hiring. Given the scheme that Gailey wants to run -- Herbert seems like the best fit if the Dolphins go QB, if Burrow is out of reach as expected.

It would certainly be a nice backup plan for the Dolphins to get the second best QB in the draft in Herbert if they cant get the top guy in Burrow.

It will be interesting to me how Flores structures the rest of his staff on offense now - last season he obviously went with the now fired, Chad O'Shea who was to be groomed by Jim Caldwell before he had to take a medical leave. Lets see if Caldwell is back this coming season to serve in a similar capacity under Gailey -- or if the Dolphins go with another name for Gailey to also groom as OC.

Will they go with a guy already familiar with the scheme or will they bring in someone fresh and teach him from there? They will certainly have options.

On a different note, some idiots were criticizing the front office and Flores and staff the other day - but THIS move as much the firing show that Flores is just not fucking around and he has a real plan for this organization moving forward. He gets rid of one guy and virtually finds his replacement immediately. You cant criticize a guy that knows what he is doing and how he wants to do it. The rest is up to the players on the field to execute.

I have even more faith now in Flores that he will fill the rest of the spots on the staff with the right people to continue to get this thing turned around in the right direction in a timely manner.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the Chan Gailey to Miami hiring/rumors, many draft talking heads are now projecting not only Justin Herbert to be drafted by the Fins - but some also have QB from Utah State, Jordan Love on their list. He is a couple inches and pounds lighter than Herbert but they both played in a similar system in college to what is expected to be brought by Chan Gailey. I don't think they could go wrong with either pick.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tua Tagovailoa tweeted out that he will make his decision whether to turn pro or go back to school on January 6th - a week from today.

Hopefully he does the right thing and returns to school.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tua Tagovailoa tweeted out that he will make his decision whether to turn pro or go back to school on January 6th - a week from today.

Hopefully he does the right thing and returns to school.
Why is that the right thing to do? What more does he have to prove on the college level?

He is a top 10 pick and should take advantage of his talent and not risk future injury.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be interesting to see how much meddling the Dolphins owner will do. Flores cleaned up a mess at the start of the 2019 season and finally got the Dolphins on track. If ownership stays out of his way, with more than $100M in cap space and three first-round picks, the Dolphins should be in the playoff hunt in 2020.

The biggest problem for newer owners is to step back and let the football people run the operation. Flores spent 14 years under the tutelage of Bill Belichick and has a firm grasp on how to build a team.

The AFC East is starting to go through a huge change and "I" think the Dolphins have a real opportunity to make a massive move to the top of the division. If the owner can control his "need" to get involved in personnel.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be interesting to see how much meddling the Dolphins owner will do. Flores cleaned up a mess at the start of the 2019 season and finally got the Dolphins on track. If ownership stays out of his way, with more than $100M in cap space and three first-round picks, the Dolphins should be in the playoff hunt in 2020.

The biggest problem for newer owners is to step back and let the football people run the operation. Flores spent 14 years under the tutelage of Bill Belichick and has a firm grasp on how to build a team.

The AFC East is starting to go through a huge change and "I" think the Dolphins have a real opportunity to make a massive move to the top of the division. If the owner can control his "need" to get involved in personnel.
I'm not worried about Ross as he cares more about Michagen then Miami. He has no time to screw up the Fins although he has a fetish in giving away valuable home games. On a positive note he writes blank checks so he won't hinder managements ability to build the team.

Last edited:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is that the right thing to do? What more does he have to prove on the college level?

He is a top 10 pick and should take advantage of his talent and not risk future injury.
He'll go top ten this year. If he waits until next year and his rehab ends up going south he'll go no where and lose millions. In a perfect world he gets drafted, rehabs while learning the offense and is healthy and ready to play in 2021. That's the route I'd go if I were him otherwise he is taking a massive risk...

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about Ross as he cares more about Michagen then Miami. He has no time to screw up the Fins although he has a fetish in giving away valuable home games. On a positive note he writes blank checks so he won't hinder managements ability to build the team.

I will respond to you on this matter since I have a policy against responding to trolls - especially cheatriot trolls.

Ross has never been one to " get in the way of things" unless he has had to as an owner. This front office was built with a different level of trust than previous ones - so that is more reason to believe it wont be a problem.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will respond to you on this matter since I have a policy against responding to trolls - especially cheatriot trolls.

Ross has never been one to " get in the way of things" unless he has had to as an owner. This front office was built with a different level of trust than previous ones - so that is more reason to believe it wont be a problem.
Yes agree he's the furthest away from Jerry Jones that one can be. Now if he'd stop giving away home games that would help the team...

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Tannehill and the Titans have restored some sense of world peace by eliminating, at home -- Tom Brady, Bill Belicheat and the Cheatriots in one of the best ways possible.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes agree he's the furthest away from Jerry Jones that one can be. Now if he'd stop giving away home games that would help the team...

You mean the games home games that get moved to oversees, etc? I don't think he has as much say in that. I think that is a decision the league makes on their own.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean the games home games that get moved to oversees, etc? I don't think he has as much say in that. I think that is a decision the league makes on their own.
Two years ago Miami had to give up a home game to get to Super Bowl. This year I don't know what they gained from it but Ross agreed to it meanwhile the patsies rarely have to go. Jax has given up home games every year too but that's the owners decision. Fact is Ross has volunteered whereas kraft says no and they only do the mandatory amount.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two years ago Miami had to give up a home game to get to Super Bowl. This year I don't know what they gained from it but Ross agreed to it meanwhile the patsies rarely have to go. Jax has given up home games every year too but that's the owners decision. Fact is Ross has volunteered whereas kraft says no and they only do the mandatory amount.

I won't speak to how such decision is or what goes into the whole scenario. But, I will say this, the game is the same whether at home or on the road -- even if it is oversees. It is still football.

I really don't think where the game is played is really a factor as to our teams fortunes in the past, present or future. In fact, I think it is a weak argument to suggest that our on/off-field misfortunes over recent years has anything to do with the location of our games.

With that said, with the diversity that the Miami brand represents, you can bet the NFL will ask of the Dolphins to be apart of these games many more times in the future.

I will say this, with how unpopular pre-season games have become for fans around the league - I think the league should instead take the game oversees more during the pre-season. Except for the hardcore fans, I don't think fans over there will care about the names on the field and will still go to the game in bunches to enjoy it.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tua officially makes the regrettable decision to enter the draft. Of course, the biggest regret will come from the team that waste a first round pick on him - as they will be back with a high first-run pick again the following season after making him a starter.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fallout following the Tua decision - word is he wanted to return to Alabama for one more season - whether it was to try and recover and play for one more season in College - or just sit out the year.

It was his father who apparently pushed him on the decision to go pro. Bad parenting.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tua officially makes the regrettable decision to enter the draft. Of course, the biggest regret will come from the team that waste a first round pick on him - as they will be back with a high first-run pick again the following season after making him a starter.

What if he gets and stays healthy? He has the talent of guy like Mahomes. Tua is fragile and picking him is risky, however, the talent may be worth the risk. Fitzpatrick could bridge the gap during his recovery time.

I would not trade up but if he is there at 5 his talent deserves consideration.