• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miami Dolphins Off-Season Thread

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Several offseason moves have been made by teams already such as signing players to futures contracts and such. I am a little late on this, but the Dolphins made their best move of the off-season a few days ago:They have decided they will not be retaining Matt Moore. It was time for the washed up career backup to go. I think this past off-season they realized they needed to better prioritize the QB/back-up QB position after T-Hill went down.

Fins UP!

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, they probably need to trade Landry at some point and get something for him. The tag on him will run 16 million this year. Though he is one of the best slot receivers in the game, that is a lot of money. Maybe trade for a pick and one if those Seahawk D secondary guys the want out??

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Landry's agent will be meeting with the Fin's front office staff on Wednesday. There are teams with more salary cap room that could be interested in a trade. The 49ers, Colts, Ravens could be some possible destinations. Cleveland also may make an offer for him.

I'm a fan of Landry but I think his asking price is too high for the Fins. He's a great slot receiver but those guys don't usually get top WR money. That said, wherever he plays he will make an impact.

Players usually want long term deals. I'm guessing a trade will happen but Landry will need to approve the trade.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fins traded a 4th round pick for DE/OLB Robert Quinn. He's 27 with a lot of football ahead of him if he stays healthy. Three years of his career at DE he had double digit sacks. He was nearly unstoppable in 2013 19 sacks with 7 forced fumbles. He dealt with injuries for a couple of years but was healthier last year. The Rams run a 3-4 and switched him to OLB. He had 8.5 sacks with two forced fumbles in that position.

I like the move. He is a proven pass rusher. He's good at forcing fumbles.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wide Receivers have a franchise price tag of $16M. Think Landry is worth more than Julio Jones or Antonio Brown?? Don't know how the hell the NFLPA came up with number but if the Dolphins want to trade him, it's going to have to be after they do something. No one is going to take him for $16M in the slot. Laqndry has the Dolphins over a barrell. They should have traded him before the deadline last year. Landry doesn't have to take any deal now. Franchise him and pay, trade him and get maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick IF the other team can work out a deal with him. No one is going to pay a premium when they know that you're in panic mode.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about it. If he is traded the Fins get a pick probably a 3rd maybe even a 2nd round pick. Another option is they could get a player in a trade at a position of need.

If he stays the Fins have one of the best slot WR's in the NFL playing next year. It's at a high price but he's a great player.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about it. If he is traded the Fins get a pick probably a 3rd maybe even a 2nd round pick. Another option is they could get a player in a trade at a position of need.

If he stays the Fins have one of the best slot WR's in the NFL playing next year. It's at a high price but he's a great player.
I've heard that they would get a 3rd round compensatory pick if he signs elsewhere so in a trade they should do better. The new team would obviously sign him first. Either way how do you pay him 10 M more than edelman? It's pretty ridiculous although I like him more at this stage of their careers.

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to have your guys opinion on something.... first, let me explain where I am in regards to this franchise. I personally believe, unfortunately, thus team is a long way away from 'contending'. We haven't had a legitimate TE in forever... I cannot remember the last time our O-line was even average (let alone solid)....the linebackers have been nothing short of atrocious since Zach....& I honestly can't say for sure that this team is 'well coached' - especially considering the ridiculous amount of penalties this team commits @ very crucial moments in the game. I've never cared for Tannenbaum when he was with the Jets, I like him even less now. Suh was an awful acquisition for the $ we gave, Quinn? Decent player, but this team has so many more important holes to fill. Does anyone here have ANY confidence in Tannenbaum & Gase? IDK what they're 'plan' is, but I think it would make more sense to simply rebuild & cut their losses. Outside of hitting big on every single draft pick, this team is staring down the barrel of another 6 win season....thoughts?

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have a lot of issues with the team and it's leadership. lol Some of your points I agree with:

The Fins need more production from the TE position. I'm thinking that they draft one fairly high. It makes even more sense with the uncertainty with Landry. Picking the best one available in the 2nd round could be a good move.

The Oline talent is only part of the issue. I think the coaching could improve also.

RE the LB's: The team has been trying to improve in that area. The McMillan injury really hurt the team. Also, who would have known that Timmons was going to make such little impact.

RE Penalties: I agree. It's hard enough to win in the NFL without penalties. Untimely penalties or too many penalties make it nearly impossible.

RE Quinn: I would not underestimate him. When he's healthy he's one of the top DE pass rushers in the league. Even at LB which was a new position for him last year he had 8.5 sacks. It will be interesting to see how the Fins use him. They weren't going to get that much production from a 4th round pick.

RE the future of the Fins: It would be great to see them win the AFC. Heck I'd be happy seeing any team not named the Pats win it. To the Pats credit the AFC has become way to predictable.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it all revolves around the QB. Tannehill is not the answer, IMO. They need to get one of the QB's in this draft. Out of all the ones available, they should be able to get one in second round, not sure if they should take one in first, think secondary help is top priority. Out of the QB's available, here are my thoughts. Obviously Tannehill will be starter, but injuries are concern and need to get solid back up and potential starter in waiting.

10 Mason Rudolph Oklahoma St. Sr QB 1 6-5 230 - Maybe available second round
14 Lamar Jackson Louisville Jr QB 2 6-3 200 - No
16 Josh Rosen UCLA Jr QB 3 6-4 220 - Gone
19 Sam Darnold USC Soph QB 4 6-4 225 - Gone
35 Baker Mayfield Oklahoma Sr QB 5 6-1 218 - Gone
116 Josh Allen Wyoming Jr QB 6 6-5 233 - Gone
161 Logan Woodside Toledo Sr QB 7 6-2 201 third or fourth rounder
177 Mike White Western Ky. Sr QB 8 6-4 225 third or fourth rounder
199 Kyle Lauletta Richmond Sr QB 9 6-3 215 - second round potential, sleeper??
208 Nick Stevens Colorado St. Sr QB 10 6-3 200 - back up
213 Riley Ferguson Memphis Sr QB 11 6-4 210 - back up
232 Luke Falk Wash. State Sr QB 12 6-4 225 - third or fourth rounder, I think possible sleeper
256 Chase Litton Marshall Jr QB 13 6-6 223 - back up
265 Kurt Benkert Virginia Sr QB 14 6-4 220 - back up
271 J.T. Barrett Ohio St. Sr QB 15 6-2 220 - No

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so, lemme get this straight....the Pats were paying Amendola less than a mil per year, we signed him for 6-8 million per year.....we sign Wilson - a 25 yr old receiver w/upside but certainly not great by any stretch of the imagination - to 8 million per year......ahem.....Miami didn't wana give Jarvis 16 million /year, which is understandable....so we sign TWO receivers that are nowhere near as good for basically the same $ Jarvis WOULD HAVE cost??? huh??? These are typical moves by a very clueless franchise. New England paid Amendola peanuts to play ball, we overpay him exuberantly. Why aren't they giving the guys they DRAFTED a chance to play? Again, that's something SMART teams do. This team is most certainly in dire need of a 'culture change' , but unfortunately, it won't happen until Tannenbaum is fired. What a damn circus this team has become.....fucking embarrassing to be a fan of this pathetic franchise.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cards_fins1,

These guys haven't even played for the Fins yet. I am choosing to give the additions a chance before assuming it wont work out. Wilson has breakaway speed. We didn't see that from Landry. Amendola is known to be a good route runner. The Fins got two players instead of one & saved 2 million dollars.

It's less predictable to a defense when a team spreads the ball around to different receivers.

I would like to see Parker develop his talents but he hasn't been able to stay healthy. These new additions bring more experience and depth to the team. I think Grant will keep developing as an impact player.

The team had a 6 and 10 record last year. It was time to try to do things different.

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cards_fins1,

These guys haven't even played for the Fins yet. I am choosing to give the additions a chance before assuming it wont work out. Wilson has breakaway speed. We didn't see that from Landry. Amendola is known to be a good route runner. The Fins got two players instead of one & saved 2 million dollars.

It's less predictable to a defense when a team spreads the ball around to different receivers.

I would like to see Parker develop his talents but he hasn't been able to stay healthy. These new additions bring more experience and depth to the team. I think Grant will keep developing as an impact player.

The team had a 6 and 10 record last year. It was time to try to do things different.
I can see your points to an extent, & hopefully what you're suggesting really will work out. I guess it boils down to 'trust', & to be honest, this team has made ridiculously ignorant decisions over the past 20+ years.....even recent decisions w/the Suh signing & the Alonso trade. So I truly do hope that this franchise has finally got it right, because the league is pretty much laughing @ the moves they continue to make & 6 wins for next year seem like a real stretch. I hope I'm wrong.....

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see your points to an extent, & hopefully what you're suggesting really will work out. I guess it boils down to 'trust', & to be honest, this team has made ridiculously ignorant decisions over the past 20+ years.....even recent decisions w/the Suh signing & the Alonso trade. So I truly do hope that this franchise has finally got it right, because the league is pretty much laughing @ the moves they continue to make & 6 wins for next year seem like a real stretch. I hope I'm wrong.....
Landry wasn't the answer especially at 16 M. I love him but the offence didn't progress. Hopefully more targets for Tanny and hopefully more running plays with Drake will create a better offence. Finding a TE would help more than overpaying a receiver. We'll see what happens...

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind the moves Sitton is a big improvement at OG and Kilgore or Asiata may also be better than often injured Pouncey. Still some holes so we'll see what happens. What does everyone else think?

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking that the Oline will be a lot better. Sitton and Kilgore are proven players. Pouncey just isn't the same run blocker since his hip injury. Improved Oline play will help the running and passing game.

I am not sure yet what Asiata brings to the team. He could provide depth on the Oline.

Re-signing J James was a big move. When you watch TD plays on instant replay you usually see him creating a running lane. He can pass block too.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that Suh is gone the Fins the team will need to add a player to that position. D Payne from Bama looks impressive. V Vea from Washington is also highly rated. I haven't seen him play much. I usually prefer players from top programs in the SEC due to the level of competition but Vea could be good. If the Fins take a DT that high then they can't get a QB with the first pick.

Another option is to get a FA DT. There are several DTs available in the FA market.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you not feel comfortable going
Now that Suh is gone the Fins the team will need to add a player to that position. D Payne from Bama looks impressive. V Vea from Washington is also highly rated. I haven't seen him play much. I usually prefer players from top programs in the SEC due to the level of competition but Vea could be good. If the Fins take a DT that high then they can't get a QB with the first pick.

Another option is to get a FA DT. There are several DTs available in the FA market.
Do you not feel comfortable going into the season with the current group? I'm not sure if they have to use a first round on DT but wouldn't be opposed either.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you not feel comfortable going

Do you not feel comfortable going into the season with the current group? I'm not sure if they have to use a first round on DT but wouldn't be opposed either.

I think they need another DT. McIntosh could be available with a later pick. I watched him play locally. He gets up field in a hurry and plays physical. In college they had to double team him.

The Fins have pass rushers on the outside plus Quinn is versatile enough to get pressure from different spots including as a LB. Whoever they pick or sign needs to be able to play the run first and foremost.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RB looks to be another position that the Fins may draft. D Murray is probably pricing himself out of the market.

I watched a lot of D Guice. He runs like he's angry. He lays the lumber on dudes & has breakaway speed. He also can catch the ball well. As crazy as this sounds when Fournette got hurt there wasn't much of a drop off in production. If he is there in the second round that would prove to be a good value pick. If the Fins really like him they could trade down in the first to make sure they get him.