• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miami Dolphins 2021 Off-Season Thread

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While a chance at the playoffs remains for a couple of more hours -- the chances are slim, so I figured I would get an off-season thread going so we can discuss. A chance for the Dolphins to finally take a step forward or stay stuck where they are which just isn't quite good enough yet.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Colts taking care of business it is time to officially start looking towards the off-season. A lot to work with for the Dolphins in the draft -- it is just a matter of them being wise with what they have available to them.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fins are in a good position with the draft to take the team to the next level. I think I would pick Sewell at 3 unless a team wowed me with a trade offer. The Fins have a good Oline but the best teams usually have great Olines. I expect the rookies to keep developing, however, Sewell is a special talent. He gave up 1 sack in 2 years and he is a good run blocker.

The 2nd first round pick could land the team a quality WR.

I would choose best available QB to develop and backup Tua with the next pick. RB or best defensive player could be next.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chan Gailey has been let go. He has been made the scapegoat for Tua's shortcomings. Interesting he gets an endless amount of praise, but when it comes to his shortcomings, someone else was made the scapegoat for it.

Let's remember back when he was hired how there was a lot of talk about how Tua would be a good fit for Gailey's offensive approach. Gailey was not the problem. The Dolphins may not have the depth, but they do have a fair share of weapons -- that's not the problem.

Flores will now have his third OC in three years. A choice may come from within before considering outside options. The Dolphins would have to be wise and willing to do something different at QB in order to attract some of the offensive minds currently available -- although more will become available soon.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson wants out of Houston. He is willing to waive no trade clause to come to Miami. He would improve the Dolphins INSTANTLY. This is a no brainer if the team is interested in improving the team. The Dolphins need to just make this happen.

In other news, Dough Pederson just got fired from the Eagles -- an offensive mind becomes available. A quality QB and a quality offensive mind? Whats taking so long to getting it done?

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Watson trade may not happen. The Fins need to look at other options.

Tua needs a WR with great hands who can get open quickly. Smith looks to be that type of WR. He looks like J. Landry with better speed. If Smith is picked by the Fins they shouldn't overuse him though like Bama did. It increases the chance of injury. The Fins have Parker, Gesicki and Williams and they may add a FA WR so they can spread the ball around.

Adding Harris at 18 would make the play action passing game better and improve Tua's performance.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I am the Bengals I call the Fins for a trade. They need Sewell big time. Their star QB took an absolute beating. He's a tough guy but I am genuinely concerned about his career longevity. There is a chance the Fins pass on Sewell because they drafted a LT last year and have other needs.Although he would take the Oline to another level with his elite talent he could be available at pick 3.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Watson trade may not happen. The Fins need to look at other options.

Tua needs a WR with great hands who can get open quickly. Smith looks to be that type of WR. He looks like J. Landry with better speed. If Smith is picked by the Fins they shouldn't overuse him though like Bama did. It increases the chance of injury. The Fins have Parker, Gesicki and Williams and they may add a FA WR so they can spread the ball around.

Adding Harris at 18 would make the play action passing game better and improve Tua's performance.
It should happen if the Dolphins are interested in improving the team.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Offensive Rookie of the Year award goes to.. Justin Herbert -- the best rookie QB this season. Fins really missed out on quite a player.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has said that Herbert isn't playing great. What you are missing is that Tua has had a winning season as a rookie. He's a work in progress. Also. Herbert didn't have major hip surgery last year like Tua. I expect Tua to keep improving. He was the winning QB when the Fins played the Chargers. Does that count for anything?

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would give Tua one full year playing 4 quarters every game to prove he is the franchise QB while developing a second round draft pick QB. If Tua hasn't made it clear that he is the guy then it's open competition going into Tua's third season. (If the team trades Tua then that's a different story)

I rewatched WR LSU Chase highlights. It's an out of sight out of mind situation. I am thinking a trade down from 3 could land the Fins either Chase or Smith. Chase has great hands too. He is as talented as Parker without the injury concerns. You can move him around like you can Smith. He's bigger and stronger than Smith yet he also has good speed to get downfield as a route runner. I would be happy with either one of these guys.

The Fins could have Parker and Chase on the outside. I was use free agency to sign the best slot WR available if the team doesn't sign Smith. Williams and Grant could be kept for depth purposes.

The Fins need to hire and keep an OC for at least 2 to 3 years. They can't keep changing every year. That's tough on the players and doesn't help the team win. There are some good internal candidates on staff. Externally, Brian Schottenheimer from Seattle could be a solid choice. His style could work if you add a player like Harris with pick #18. His offense is based on a good running game. Steichen from the Chargers could also be a good choice.

Last edited:

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other solid choices: Chargers QB Coach Hamilton, McDaniel from the 49ers Running Game Coordinator, Steelers QB Coach Canada and Clemson OC Elliott are interviewing for the position.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fins coaching staff will work closely with three QBs at the Senior Bowl. Notre Dame Book, Texas Ehling, and Arkansas Franks. It's a great opportunity for the coaching staff and these young men with the upcoming draft.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fins are in a good position with the draft to take the team to the next level. I think I would pick Sewell at 3 unless a team wowed me with a trade offer. The Fins have a good Oline but the best teams usually have great Olines. I expect the rookies to keep developing, however, Sewell is a special talent. He gave up 1 sack in 2 years and he is a good run blocker.

The 2nd first round pick could land the team a quality WR.

I would choose best available QB to develop and backup Tua with the next pick. RB or best defensive player could be next.
Fins certainly have a lot less work to do than the Patriots.
We should have tanked!

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other solid choices: Chargers QB Coach Hamilton, McDaniel from the 49ers Running Game Coordinator, Steelers QB Coach Canada and Clemson OC Elliott are interviewing for the position.
Elliott has said he is staying at Clemson.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great opportunity for the Fins at the Senior Bowl - hopefully they can get a good look at their future QB there -- if they fail to get Watson.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Najee Harris will be at the Senior Bowl. The Fins should pick him at 18. He is just what the offense needs along with Smith.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthew Stafford and the Lions will mutually part ways. He can emerge as a veteran option for the Fins if Fitzpatrick retires and while the Dolphins develop their QB of the future after finding him in the draft. This, of course, if Watson decides to go back to Houston or the Jets.