• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Memphis - Utah postgame thoughts.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before talking about the Jazz win, I have to wonder where Memphis is at.

They've had 4 ugly losses. 2 super blowouts.

Memphis has been to the playoffs 5 straight years.

Won .561+ the past 5 years, and .610+ the past 4 years.

They are 4-5 in series in that span. They've won some, but never been able to beat multiple good teams in a year.

I can't recall a stretch during those 5 years that they've played this poorly.

Are they in decline? If so, why? I see Gasol and Conley Jr. are shooting < 40%.

Their bench looks all right, in terms of players. Jeff Green, Tony Allen, Matt Barnes, Brandan Wright, Vince Carter, Beno Udrih. All proven vets.

Basically, I'm not sure what to make of this game, until we know what kind of team Memphis is this year.

If this is the usual Memphis team that is good and gets to the playoffs, then maybe it's a combination of the Jazz catching a rusty Memphis combined with Burke finding his niche as a bench player.

If Memphis is going to fall off a lot, then this might just be a normal win against an average team, and nothing to get too excited about. In this case, it wouldn't be like the Jazz showed that they can compete and beat proven playoffs teams. In this case, it would just be the Jazz beating up on a average to bad team. Something that's more expected.

Whereas, beating a proven playoffs team, that will be there once again this year, is more of a statement game.

So, I'll have to defer back to what this game means, until a few months later, when we know whether Memphis is still good year this year. While giving some credit to Burke, for starting to become consistent in his role.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And sorry, I was going to have a live game thread, but ended chilling with someone else, then watching the game on the DVR last night.