• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melo to the 76ers

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he's lazy and won't run and we're gonna be a high energy and running team.

You must have gone to Cuse or something.

Nope. I just recognize talent when I see it.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carmelo Anthony apparently was open to being traded to the 76ers this season. Time to revisit this idea.

Okafor and some overpaid scrub for Carmelo. Let's get it done. He can just stand at the line and nail open jumpers for us. Perfect fit.
Is this part of the process?

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank God it is not. It would push us back if we took that cancer.

What has he ever done to deserve being characterized as a cancer?

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seriously. Maybe his style of play wouldn't jive with the 76ers . . . but how is the dude a "cancer"? If you want to hate on his on-court performance and playing style, go for it. There's no basis to call him a cancer.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously. Maybe his style of play wouldn't jive with the 76ers . . . but how is the dude a "cancer"? If you want to hate on his on-court performance and playing style, go for it. There's no basis to call him a cancer.

Definitely a cuse fan.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a Syracuse fan at all. Still, no one can explain how Melo is a cancer.

His on-court performance and playing style is cancerous to every non-college team. You even alluded to it.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His on-court performance and playing style is cancerous to every non-college team. You even alluded to it.

And yet, the 2012-2013 Knicks were very, very good, winning 54 games. They were centered around Anthony as the primary scoring option with a really good defensive big man, a really good facilitator, and a bunch of other guys who could hit 3s (Felton, Smith, Prigioni, Novak).

I see no reason that Anthony couldn't fill that role with the 76ers with Embiid as the top-notch big man, Simmons as the facilitator, and Redick, Fultz, and whoever else as the reliable 3-point shooters.

Do I really care if they bring in Carmelo? No. But the people who are adamantly opposed to it aren't doing it based on facts -- they're doing it based on some emotional response they get when they hear Carmelo's name. Bottom line is that he can be a very productive player in the right role and system. The biggest question is whether he'd be willing to take a backseat to the talented, young players on this team. If not, then there's no point in pursuing him -- but to dismiss the thought because he's a "cancer" is just silly.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest question is whether he'd be willing to take a backseat to the talented, young players on this team. If not, then there's no point in pursuing him -- but to dismiss the thought because he's a "cancer" is just silly.

Of course he wouldn't. He's a chucker. He's a terrible fit and obviously it's not worth time re-explaining it to you.

He's lazy and won't run and we're gonna be a high energy and running team.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course he wouldn't. He's a chucker. He's a terrible fit and obviously it's not worth time re-explaining it to you.

He's lazy and won't run and we're gonna be a high energy and running team.

Pace doesn't matter if you can't score efficiently. Brooklyn and Phoenix had the two highest pace factors in the league last year but they were bad in offensive efficiency (Philadelphia was last.)

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pace doesn't matter if you can't score efficiently. Brooklyn and Phoenix had the two highest pace factors in the league last year but they were bad in offensive efficiency (Philadelphia was last.)

Pace matters to the coach. As I said, Melo is not a fit.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your desire for Melo seems to be based on the fact he's a player that can create his own offense. Do you really think the half court will be a problem with Fultz, Embiid, Simmons, and Reddick out there?

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your desire for Melo seems to be based on the fact he's a player that can create his own offense. Do you really think the half court will be a problem with Fultz, Embiid, Simmons, and Reddick out there?

It shouldn't be a problem this year. Note that the conversation started before we signed Redick. Now I just want to combat the anti-Melo sentiment. Look what he's done when he's been in a good system (2012-2013 Knicks) or isn't the best player on the court (Olympic performances).

If a team is giving him away for virtually nothing and you have capspace, I'm not sure why it shouldn't be considered.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It shouldn't be a problem this year. Note that the conversation started before we signed Redick. Now I just want to combat the anti-Melo sentiment. Look what he's done when he's been in a good system (2012-2013 Knicks) or isn't the best player on the court (Olympic performances).

If a team is giving him away for virtually nothing and you have capspace, I'm not sure why it shouldn't be considered.
I'm a Philly fan through and through. That being said, the Iverson years, getting to the finals and everything that followed helped me see Anthony. Iverson was a scorer, he had great defenders around him and was able to do him to get to the finals. Melo had a similar run in Denver where they put some memorable defenders around him, yet shit didn't get done. That was his apex and I knew he didn't have it. If AI couldn't get it done, this guy wouldn't either.

Fultz can create his own offense. Embiids usage percentage makes him look like a point guard and cat is efficient. Simmons is a wild card that I expect to be a boss. There's nothing in this equation that shows Anthony being an addition, especially when given his salary versus Covingtons defensive addition and his ability to shoot the 3.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Philly fan through and through. That being said, the Iverson years, getting to the finals and everything that followed helped me see Anthony. Iverson was a scorer, he had great defenders around him and was able to do him to get to the finals. Melo had a similar run in Denver where they put some memorable defenders around him, yet shit didn't get done. That was his apex and I knew he didn't have it. If AI couldn't get it done, this guy wouldn't either.

Fultz can create his own offense. Embiids usage percentage makes him look like a point guard and cat is efficient. Simmons is a wild card that I expect to be a boss. There's nothing in this equation that shows Anthony being an addition, especially when given his salary versus Covingtons defensive addition and his ability to shoot the 3.

It won't happen here -- maybe Houston -- but I think he becomes very valuable if you switch his primary role to essentially a catch and shoot 3 point shooter. I agree he's not going to win as the best player on the team but think he can win with two other superstars (which I'm hoping we currently have on the roster.) Paul/Harden could be good partners for that.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

By the way, I get that I'm in the minority. But in true Hinkian fashion, when the whole league zigs to thinking Melo is completely worthless, I think someone will benefit from zagging and taking a risk on him.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For $26M and $28M next year, hard pass for me.
He is a gifted scorer, but the game is about efficiency.
Offensive and defensive.

If he were a free agent and signed for the mid-level exception, then absolutely, I would consider it.
But, not for that price tag.
Next year is vital for our future contracts and for potentially signing a marquee FA.