• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mel Tucker to Michigan St

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize how difficult it is to get decent players to go to Kentucky, right? We are talking about football, not basketball.
You can say that about a lot of schools though. He's doing an alright job but is he really worth paying an excessive amount to?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can say that about a lot of schools though. He's doing an alright job but is he really worth paying an excessive amount to?
This really is what people said about LSU over paying to get Saban.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beneath the surface this was a B1G over PAC 12 more than Sparty over Colorado. More accurately this was a B1G/ACC/SEC/Big 12 over PAC 12.

"The Pac-12 is on the brink. Want to talk competitive imbalance? Michigan State basically bought out Tucker's promise to remain at Colorado. And it did so because it could. A Big Ten school flexed. A Pac-12 counterpart winced. It's as simple as that."

"Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News has already calculated that each Big Ten school will make $139 million more than its Pac-12 counterpart over the next five years."

"But it's not just Big Ten money. Tucker made $2.4 million at Colorado. Alabama's mere recruiting budget, according to a recent report, is $2.6 million."

Fallout from Mel Tucker's move extends past Michigan State, Colorado to recruiting, the Pac-12 and beyond

The Pac12 limitations are pretty well known, now... had I known then what I know now, with the ineptitude of Larry Scott, probably would have supported staying put in the Big XII despite losing our rival Nebraska to the B1G.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mel Tucker on the phone relaying the MSU offers to his desired coaching staffers:

giphy.gif

Tucker be like: "Yeah, it's good to be in the B1G"

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mel Tucker on the phone relaying the MSU offers to his desired coaching staffers:

giphy.gif
I wonder how pissed Dantonio is now after 5 years of Michigan being cheap asses and not paying the fat stacks to his shitty ass buddies.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are people going so gaga over this guy? An ace recruiter who grabs a bunch of 3* and a few 4* from Ohio here and there?

It's Kentucky. That's good for a school like Kentucky. They were averaging recruiting classes in the 60's before Stoops got there.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Kentucky. That's good for a school like Kentucky. They were averaging recruiting classes in the 60's before Stoops got there.
Well is it this guy or is it Stoops?

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@7Samurai13

Rumor/word has it that Michigan State is possibly sweetening the pot by maybe extending a softball scholarship offer to Vince Marrow's daughter Aryanna who is currently committed to Pitt.

Arynna has been liking the tweets about her dad Vince possibly coming to Michigan State.

9651162.png

Last edited:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well is it this guy or is it Stoops?

I'm gonna guess it's a combination of both. He's been there the same amount of time as Stoops has. Plus that was when Kentucky made an effort to recruit Ohio more, probably because of Marrow's background. I'm gonna guess you put him at a school like MSU he'll be even more successful.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna guess it's a combination of both. He's been there the same amount of time as Stoops has. Plus that was when Kentucky made an effort to recruit Ohio more, probably because of Marrow's background. I'm gonna guess you put him at a school like MSU he'll be even more successful.
It's just odd, because I think Dantonio's crew did an excellent job recruiting in Ohio, but the whole staff was canned. Should've looked at retaining some of them instead of getting into a cash battle over a guy who was doing roughly as good of a job, if not maybe a bit worse.

Also, while I know it's Kentucky, it was mainly the SEC that he was getting to sell to kids when they probably weren't getting offered by Alabama/Georgia/Florida/LSU. If he's just a hired gun with no tie to the school or any of the other coaches, I don't know that it's going to be such an easy transition.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pac12 limitations are pretty well known, now... had I known then what I know now, with the ineptitude of Larry Scott, probably would have supported staying put in the Big XII despite losing our rival Nebraska to the B1G.
Yeah, but at that time the Big 12 was considered by most to be on much thinner ice than the PAC 12. It still is by many. Isn't the ACC also behind the B1G and SEC quite a bit in the revenue department?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just odd, because I think Dantonio's crew did an excellent job recruiting in Ohio, but the whole staff was canned. Should've looked at retaining some of them instead of getting into a cash battle over a guy who was doing roughly as good of a job, if not maybe a bit worse.

Also, while I know it's Kentucky, it was mainly the SEC that he was getting to sell to kids when they probably weren't getting offered by Alabama/Georgia/Florida/LSU. If he's just a hired gun with no tie to the school or any of the other coaches, I don't know that it's going to be such an easy transition.
Doesn't look like Sparty is concerned about cash battles. Appears they are pusing all their chips in.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, but it's also easier to recruit to MSU than it is at a school like UK, with next to nothing in terms of tradition. Look at some of those classes in the early 2000's MSU was pulling in. A couple top 10 classes. UK was basically on par with MSU in terms of recruiting under Stoops and that's with nothing to go on essentially. And it's Kentucky. That's the huge part in this. They are probably the 2nd worst job in the SEC after Vandy, MSU is middle of the pack in terms of job status in the B1G.

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hmmmm.
Did anyone tell Nebraska about this rivalry?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmmm.
Did anyone tell Nebraska about this rivalry?
I’ve seen a enough Nebraska fans say “Fuck Colorado” to make it seem like there is one.

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve seen a enough Nebraska fans say “Fuck Colorado” to make it seem like there is one.

nobody who beats someone 18 times in a row can consider that team a rival.

Although Michigan appears to be trying to put that to the test.