• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Meet Daniel Carbonell

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants signed Cuban outfielder Daniel Carbonell (6'-3" 196 lbs) to a 4 year major league contract. Now, this isn't a high profile outfielder like Cespedes or Puig. The Giants think this kid will need some development and will spend this year in the minors (probably San Jose) once he gets his visa sorted out. But, they see him as a five tool talent and frankly, we need some talent on the field. If all goes well, this kid factors into future plans as soon as next year.

Some are skeptical, Baseball America wrote a piece about how scouts aren't sure if he can hit at the ML level.

Not a huge investment, but a roll of the dice. He has been added to the 40 man.

SF Giants sign Cuban outfielder Daniel Carbonell - San Francisco Giants: The Splash

Giants Sign Cuban Outfielder Daniel Carbonell - BaseballAmerica.com

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never heard of this before today. Based on the writeups in the links provided, I don't see this as anything Earth-shattering. This may be about on par with the doggies signing Guerrero.

Seems like a low-risk, moderate-reward play. If we did not have the 40-spot open, I wonder if they would have made ths deal?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never heard of this before today. Based on the writeups in the links provided, I don't see this as anything Earth-shattering. This may be about on par with the doggies signing Guerrero.

Seems like a low-risk, moderate-reward play. If we did not have the 40-spot open, I wonder if they would have made ths deal?

Yeah, I had never heard of him. Sounds like he could reasonably replace Gregor Blanco as a speedy, good glove 4th outfielder, and has a chance to stick if he smooths out his hitting mechanics.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I had never heard of him. Sounds like he could reasonably replace Gregor Blanco as a speedy, good glove 4th outfielder, and has a chance to stick if he smooths out his hitting mechanics.

I think TyCo would be the guy he'd replace. He doesn't sound nearly as fast as Blanco.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think TyCo would be the guy he'd replace. He doesn't sound nearly as fast as Blanco.

Baseball America says he speed translates to 80 on the 20-80 scale....

Home to first from the right side in 4.0 seconds.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball America says he speed translates to 80 on the 20-80 scale....

Home to first from the right side in 4.0 seconds.

He had 28 steels in 29 attempts on the last team he played for. No idea what the comparable level would be in the US-system (HS/JC/college/Rookie/A/AA/AAA/MLB), so you can only read into that so much...

As for the 20-80 scale, that also can only be taken with a grain of salt. Hamilton is clearly a 80, but so is Gary Brown. Clearly, Brown is not a good base-runner, but I suspect if the two were to have a footrace, it would not be that close, either.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had 28 steels in 29 attempts on the last team he played for. No idea what the comparable level would be in the US-system (HS/JC/college/Rookie/A/AA/AAA/MLB), so you can only read into that so much...

As for the 20-80 scale, that also can only be taken with a grain of salt. Hamilton is clearly a 80, but so is Gary Brown. Clearly, Brown is not a good base-runner, but I suspect if the two were to have a footrace, it would not be that close, either.

Not saying he's a good base stealer, just that he's fast. Responding to tzill's comment that "he doesn't sound nearly as fast as Blanco", but the scouts seem to like his speed a lot, and has been clocked. We'll see once he reports to Scottsdale and extended Spring Training.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying he's a good base stealer, just that he's fast. Responding to tzill's comment that "he doesn't sound nearly as fast as Blanco", but the scouts seem to like his speed a lot, and has been clocked. We'll see once he reports to Scottsdale and extended Spring Training.

I understand. I wasn't challenging, just adding additional info/thoughts to the discussion...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This off-season, I read more than one article stating that the Cuban league equates more or less to "high A" in the U.S., or just between A and AA.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This off-season, I read more than one article stating that the Cuban league equates more or less to "high A" in the U.S., or just between A and AA.

Thanks.

I am not sure that the Cuban team was his last team, though. I believe he has been in Mexico for a short while, so maybe he played in a Mexican league?

Also, he never played for the Cuban National team...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks.

I am not sure that the Cuban team was his last team, though. I believe he has been in Mexico for a short while, so maybe he played in a Mexican league?

Also, he never played for the Cuban National team...

BR doesn't show him playing for a Mexican team.

As for the my "cuban league is A+ level" comment, I (think I) got that from articles about Abreu, and I was referring to Cuban Serie Nacional league.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As for the my "cuban league is A+ level" comment, I (think I) got that from articles about Abreu, and I was referring to Cuban Serie Nacional league.

OK.

The level would make sense. Everything I have said is that they expect to start him in SJ. They also keep stressing that they do not expect him in SF this season. If they are making that statement as much as it appears they are, that means that his making to SF this year was a possibility. That is a decent sign.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He apparently hasn't played in almost a year, or something like that. He moved to Mexico, but never played in their league. His last games were in the Cuban league.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK.

The level would make sense. Everything I have said is that they expect to start him in SJ. They also keep stressing that they do not expect him in SF this season. If they are making that statement as much as it appears they are, that means that his making to SF this year was a possibility. That is a decent sign.

Everything I've read says that he's going strait to the Arizona facility as soon as he gets a visa. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to SJ after a coupla weeks of evaluation and "acclimation".

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything I've read says that he's going strait to the Arizona facility as soon as he gets a visa. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to SJ after a coupla weeks of evaluation and "acclimation".

That is what I would expect. He hasn't played in a year or so. I would assume he needs quite a bit of "spring training" before he can get back in a game.