• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

McCarthy

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I dont think the sky is falling. But does anyone feel the McCarthy era has run its course? Maybe it's just me but It looks like his ability to have this team fired up and ready to play every week is gone. I dont have a clue to what is going on in the locker room but the product that is displayed on the field is inconsistent at best. Yeah, they're grown men but they still need that leader that's gonna have them go all out on every play. I dont know if it's time for him to go but he better find a way to rally the troops or he may find himself looking for another job.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I dont think the sky is falling. But does anyone feel the McCarthy era has run its course? Maybe it's just me but It looks like his ability to have this team fired up and ready to play every week is gone. I dont have a clue to what is going on in the locker room but the product that is displayed on the field is inconsistent at best. Yeah, they're grown men but they still need that leader that's gonna have them go all out on every play. I dont know if it's time for him to go but he better find a way to rally the troops or he may find himself looking for another job.

I think we're getting to that point. Something needs to change.

And frankly, it's not just the Packers. Almost every team in the league is a wildly inconsistent mess the first quarter of the season. I think it can be greatly attributed to the new(ish) offseason and training camp rules that limit coaches from working with players and attributed to minimal preseason reps for starters. I'm very interested in how these upcoming labor negotiations (after the 2020 season) are going to shake out. I anticipate major changes to the league and probably a shortened (maybe even lost) season.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with a new GM that has shown he has a different philosophy he cant feel too safe.

MM deserves some blame for sure. However its hard to blame him for the bad call on the punt, Rodgers fumbling twice, etc.

Slow starts are on MM though for sure

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also yes I expect a serious play stoppage unless the owners cave on some stuff

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also yes I expect a serious play stoppage unless the owners cave on some stuff

Yeah, it's not just owners caving either. I think players are going to dig in hard for fully guaranteed contracts and owners are going to dig in hard for strong contract restrictions - similar to the 2004-05 NHL labor dispute that destroyed a whole season.

I'm pretty sure TV contracts will be on the table.
There's a lot of contention about rules changes.
There's been recent contention about preseason games (both financial and on-field product).
There's contention about global games/expansion.

...Just a ton of stuff to work through.

And let's be honest, one of the driving forces in the NFL fan boom and retention has been fantasy football. If a labor stoppage throws a wrench in fantasy football, a large segment of that patronage is going to cut the cord and never return. I myself am the commissioner of two fantasy leagues and have considered cutting the cord several times in the past few years.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it’s like Aaron takes subtle shots at McCarthy’s calls but if the Packers were to ever actually move McCarthy then Rodgers would be pissed. I think he still has a hard time separating relationships and business.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it’s like Aaron takes subtle shots at McCarthy’s calls but if the Packers were to ever actually move McCarthy then Rodgers would be pissed. I think he still has a hard time separating relationships and business.
Yeah, Rodgers would be pissed. And I think that could be a good thing. Right now, they're too comfortable and it shows. Plus, Rodgers does much of his best work when he's pissed.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im annoyed that the defense seems to finally be taking a positive step, with the exception of pass rush, but the offense is now lagging until it digs the team a massive hole.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im annoyed that the defense seems to finally be taking a positive step, with the exception of pass rush, but the offense is now lagging until it digs the team a massive hole.

I dont understand the offense lagging and then when it's to late they play with a purpose. Mistakes happen, but multiple mistakes by a professional team is on the players and coaches. Play like you're behind from the beginning.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, just an observation, there doesn’t seem to be any consequences for the players actions. Maybe I’m missing something but the players making the mistakes continue to play every week.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, just an observation, there doesn’t seem to be any consequences for the players actions. Maybe I’m missing something but the players making the mistakes continue to play every week.
I wouldnt say that. Who is making mistakes that should be benched? Also keep in mind a viable backup must be available. Rodgers isnt as sharp as usual but he isnt coming off of the field.

I do think there is a bit of a rift growing between he and MM. AR wants playmakers on the field and MM wont let Jones eat.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont understand the offense lagging and then when it's to late they play with a purpose. Mistakes happen, but multiple mistakes by a professional team is on the players and coaches. Play like you're behind from the beginning.

The expectation was that the offense would be better this year with Philbin back as OC. Seems like maybe the assistant coaching changes haven't gone so smoothly. Rodgers didn't like the QB assistant change and was quite vocal about it.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt say that. Who is making mistakes that should be benched? Also keep in mind a viable backup must be available. Rodgers isnt as sharp as usual but he isnt coming off of the field.

I do think there is a bit of a rift growing between he and MM. AR wants playmakers on the field and MM wont let Jones eat.

Not just mistakes but how bout under performing. I know ARod won’t be benched but maybe sit someone down if they continually miss blocks or gives up big plays or drops several balls. I just think this team lacks a sense of urgency when they step out on the field, specially in the first half.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The expectation was that the offense would be better this year with Philbin back as OC. Seems like maybe the assistant coaching changes haven't gone so smoothly. Rodgers didn't like the QB assistant change and was quite vocal about it.

I think Rodgers should focus on his play and leave the rest to the coaches.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another good read:

Dougherty: Predictable Packers struggling just to follow usual script

In a nut shell, this has been GB for the past 8 years:

In any event, does anybody else feel a sense of déjà vu? The Packers, as they always seem to, struggle, scrimp and fight their way through the season, play horribly enough at times to look like they’re going nowhere, only to manage to get into the playoffs because of their quarterback. There they eventually get bounced when they’ve run out of gas.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another good read:

Dougherty: Predictable Packers struggling just to follow usual script

In a nut shell, this has been GB for the past 8 years:

In any event, does anybody else feel a sense of déjà vu? The Packers, as they always seem to, struggle, scrimp and fight their way through the season, play horribly enough at times to look like they’re going nowhere, only to manage to get into the playoffs because of their quarterback. There they eventually get bounced when they’ve run out of gas.

I have never perceived their playoff exits since the Super Bowl as "running out of gas".

2011 they got slapped by a Giants team that happened to be playing their best football and went on to win the Super Bowl. Packers were overconfident.

2012 their defense gave up 45 points to Kaepernick.

2013 they lost to Kaepernick again - the most inexplicable loss of the bunch.

2014 their special teams and defense blew a very comfortable lead to the Seahawks, SEA won the toss and scored a TD.

2015 their offense pulled off a miracle to send the game into OT only to again lose the toss and let the Cardinals march down the field uncontested again for another TD.

2016 they completely crapped the bed against Atlanta. If there was a "running out of gas" playoff, it was this one, but the Falcons posted an easy 44 on that sieve of a defense.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never perceived their playoff exits since the Super Bowl as "running out of gas".

2011 they got slapped by a Giants team that happened to be playing their best football and went on to win the Super Bowl. Packers were overconfident.

2014 their special teams and defense blew a very comfortable lead to the Seahawks, SEA won the toss and scored a TD.

2015 their offense pulled off a miracle to send the game into OT only to again lose the toss and let the Cardinals march down the field uncontested again for another TD.

2016 they completely crapped the bed against Atlanta. If there was a "running out of gas" playoff, it was this one, but the Falcons posted an easy 44 on that sieve of a defense.

I have always thought that the team played really bad in the 2011 playoff loss to the Giants after Philbin's son died.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A very common theme in all those losses. The defense. Just not enough playmakers to be the difference in getting them to the ship. This year is no different. They may make some strides but in the end when you have to have playmakers to move on, GB will come up short once again. And I’m not trying to be negative, that’s just reality. I can almost guarantee it. If the offense continues the way their going, they won’t even sniff the playoffs. Maybe all phases of the game will start clicking when it needs to.....maybe they won’t.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the offense continues the way their going, they won’t even sniff the playoffs. Maybe all phases of the game will start clicking when it needs to.....maybe they won’t.

The Packers are currently 2-2-1. With the way things are going right now, this is how I see things shaking out:

vSF - W
@LAR - L
@NE - L
vMIA - W
@SEA - W
@MIN - L
vARI - W
vATL - W
@CHI - L
@NYJ - W
vDET - W

9-6-1

That is sniffing the playoffs - might even be good enough for a wildcard considering how weak the NFC East and West look right now.

I do expect the offense to get into a bit of a groove after the bye. Rodgers not practicing much is certainly a contributing factor to the sub-standard offensive output as are injuries to the receiving corps. If they don't, fingers are going to rightfully point at McCarthy.