• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

McCarthy FIRED!

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like an early Christmas present for Packer fans.
Careful what you wish for Packer fans. 35 year old QB playing in a new system doesn’t always just work.

SeizeTheCarp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got what he wanted. Tell me he wasn’t trying to be fired today.
Practically the entire offense played uninspired at times. I think all targeted receivers other than Graham had a drop or two. The O-line had lapses as well. And yes, Rodgers seemed uninterested at times too. And McCarthy has been under-performing in his play-calling. At the same time, Rodgers also rushed for a couple first downs and dropped a dime to Adams and made other plays that made it clear the intention wasn't to just dial it in.

I think Strahan put it best on the OT. The situation just ran its course. Things got stale, and no one could figure out how to freshen things up again. Rodgers is a great QB and McCarthy is a great coach, but he seemed to have lost the entire team somewhere. Looking back, each preseason McCarthy would do something different to try and build team unity: bowling trips, paintball, etc. At the time I thought it was a good idea to try and keep things fresh, but ultimately, it seems like he was trying to find different ways to reach the players.

I Think the Packers will flourish without McCarthy and I thing McCarthy will be successful outside of Green Bay. I thing the change will bring a breath of fresh air and bring new focus and new attitude to both.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favre is smiling I am sure!

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Practically the entire offense played uninspired at times. I think all targeted receivers other than Graham had a drop or two. The O-line had lapses as well. And yes, Rodgers seemed uninterested at times too. And McCarthy has been under-performing in his play-calling. At the same time, Rodgers also rushed for a couple first downs and dropped a dime to Adams and made other plays that made it clear the intention wasn't to just dial it in.

I think Strahan put it best on the OT. The situation just ran its course. Things got stale, and no one could figure out how to freshen things up again. Rodgers is a great QB and McCarthy is a great coach, but he seemed to have lost the entire team somewhere. Looking back, each preseason McCarthy would do something different to try and build team unity: bowling trips, paintball, etc. At the time I thought it was a good idea to try and keep things fresh, but ultimately, it seems like he was trying to find different ways to reach the players.

I Think the Packers will flourish without McCarthy and I thing McCarthy will be successful outside of Green Bay. I thing the change will bring a breath of fresh air and bring new focus and new attitude to both.
The guy literally called a running play at midfield on a 3rd and 10. He wanted to get that pink slip and take his severance. Was funny watching that game play out. He forced his hand well and even Rodgers quit audibling in the second quarter.

SeizeTheCarp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Careful what you wish for Packer fans. 35 year old QB playing in a new system doesn’t always just work.
Meh, Payton Manning did pretty well in Denver. Kurt Warner did pretty well in Arizona. Brett Favre did pretty well his first season in Minnesota. Joe Montana did pretty well in KC. Rich Gannon did pretty well in Oakland. I'm sure I could go on.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, Payton Manning did pretty well in Denver. Kurt Warner did pretty well in Arizona. Brett Favre did pretty well his first season in Minnesota. Joe Montana did pretty well in KC. Rich Gannon did pretty well in Oakland. I'm sure I could go on.
We will see

SeizeTheCarp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy literally called a running play at midfield on a 3rd and 10. He wanted to get that pink slip and take his severance. Was funny watching that game play out. He forced his hand well and even Rodgers quit audibling in the second quarter.
I misread your first post. I read it as you were saying Rodgers was trying to get McCarthy fired. But yea, I see your point. I noticed last week that Rodgers got some flack for throwing the ball deep downfield on a 3rd and 7, and missing an open receiver, short, that could have picked up the first down. Rodgers answered that by saying that the team was trying to emphasize YPA this year, so he was waiting for the deep play to develop since he wasn't under pressure. So, in essence, Rodgers was just following the game-plan and doing what McCarthy called for.

SeizeTheCarp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see
True enough. Never any guarantees. But those other guys had to get used to a new coach and new players. Rodgers will still have most of the guys he played with this year. The smart money is definitely on him remaining successful and productive.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I misread your first post. I read it as you were saying Rodgers was trying to get McCarthy fired. But yea, I see your point. I noticed last week that Rodgers got some flack for throwing the ball deep downfield on a 3rd and 7, and missing an open receiver, short, that could have picked up the first down. Rodgers answered that by saying that the team was trying to emphasize YPA this year, so he was waiting for the deep play to develop since he wasn't under pressure. So, in essence, Rodgers was just following the game-plan and doing what McCarthy called for.
Yep, it was funny to watch that game unfold. Rodgers literally stopped calling audibles and McCarthy literally stopped trying to win. Rodgers knew McCarthy wanted out out and he was not a fan of his anyways so........ the shit show ensued. I’m on Rodgers side in this btw, they never gave him what other top tier qbs were given as far as their organization trying to make the most of him while he can still dominate.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As to the topic. It's always hard when a rival fires their coach.

But it was long overdue.

How much did his relationship with Rodgers, or lack there of, factor into this decison?

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah too bad they did it 6 years too late. They may very well have missed out on another title or two with Rodgers due to McCarthy's incompetency. Guy never did chit without riding the coattails of Favre and then Rodgers.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peace out fatso. Now the search begins.

DO NOT PROMOTE WITHIN THE ORGANIZATION.

Want Mike Zimmer? He'll guarantee you some level of hope, but will never fail to chit the bed when it counts either. I'd be willing to let the Pack have him and take a gamble on new blood in Minnesota. srs.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Want Mike Zimmer? He'll guarantee you some level of hope, but will never fail to chit the bed when it counts either. I'd be willing to let the Pack have him and take a gamble on new blood in Minnesota. srs.
Yep, damn Zimmer for shitting the bed on that 26 yard field goal. How dare he....