• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mashahiro Tanaka to undergo MRI on pitching arm

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,643.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees ace Masahiro Tanaka traveled to New York on Wednesday for an MRI on his pitching arm, according to multiple media reports.

Tanaka leads the majors with 12 wins and has anchored the Yankees' injury-riddled rotation in his rookie season.

But the All-Star right-hander struggled in Tuesday's loss to the Cleveland Indians, allowing season highs of five runs and 10 hits for his third loss in his last four outings.

Tanaka did not indicate in his postgame interview that he was dealing with any type of injury.

"I think it had a lot to do with my command," Tanaka said Tuesday through a translator. "A lot of my pitches were going right down the middle."

A source told ESPNNewYork.com that Tanaka reported "a little discomfort" after the game but did not specify if it was to his elbow or shoulder.

The New York Post reported earlier Wednesday that Tanaka would undergo the MRI.

Tanaka is 12-4 with a 2.51 ERA and 135 strikeouts in 18 starts for the Yankees, whose rotation has been beset by injuries to CC Sabathia and Ivan Nova. The 25-year-old signed a seven-year, $155 million contract with the Yankees in January after pitching in Japan for seven seasons.

Source: ESPN New York