• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marvin is on a one year deal?

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton's season has ended on injured reserve, but his future for 2019 is secure. Sources say the starter is expected to be back next season, and his thumb surgery won't change that.

The status of his head coach is much more in doubt.

Cincinnati generated headlines last year when they brought back Marvin Lewis on what was announced as a two-year contract. As owner Mike Brown said, "we have full confidence in Marvin to re-establish winning football in 2018."

What the Bengals did not do, sources now say, was commit to Lewis beyond this season. Though billed as a two-year contract, the belief is it's actually a one-year deal with a team option for 2020. That essentially means the Bengals can walk away from Lewis without a monetary penalty following the season.

"Our standard and normal response to inquiries about contract details is that we do not disclose details about our contracts with players or coaches," a team spokesman said.

As we learned last year, it's too early in the season to know for sure whether or not Lewis' 16-year run is over. The thought last year was Lewis was done in Cincy before the Bengals won their final two games and Lewis saved himself.

With potential successor Hue Jackson in the building, Lewis also could move to the front office. That's a possibility.

The Bengals were 4-1 at one point this season. But thanks in part to an incredible number of injuries, they've now lost three in a row. Still, it's fair to say Lewis' future is in doubt.

Marvin Lewis' Bengals future in doubt; Dalton set to return in '19

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont lie to me and get my hopes up. Marvin and Mile have another decade of dumbassery left in em, Im sure of it

carl combs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hue Jackson was set to take over for Marvin before he went to Cleveland
i wonder if that is still the plan

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting stuff.... My thinking is that he'll walk away or be removed from the HC after the season. But, if he had one more year of salary due, I figured the team would appoint him to something in the FO and let him hire the coach (obviously with lots of constraints). So I figured if we didn't see Hue (most likely), we'd end up with another friend of Marvin like Mike Smith or Mike McCarthy.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im assuming no. But do bengals fans want marv back?

please tell me you dont want hue

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im assuming no. But do bengals fans want marv back?

please tell me you dont want hue

There are a few folks in our delusional fanbase that think Hue would be an upgrade. Hue is a good coach - He gets a lot out of his talent.... As a positional coach/coordinator. As a head coach, I think he's missing something.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a few folks in our delusional fanbase that think Hue would be an upgrade. Hue is a good coach - He gets a lot out of his talent.... As a positional coach/coordinator. As a head coach, I think he's missing something.
yes i agree, position coach dudes good. HC horrible. bringing him on as positional coach or coordinator is a good move. Theres alot of head coachers that are killing it as coordinatorw

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvin tends to annoy fans because he seems like a gigantic prick to the media.... But I think he goes out of his way to protect his players and in 15 some years, I've rarely seen him throw a guy under the bus. I've also seen very few of his teams quit. Marvin's problems seem to do with a lack of innovation, game management, and sometimes talent evaluation. Hue always seems to want to blame the first guy he can find... I don't think that's a good recipe for getting guys to play for you.

Marvin needs to go.... But I don't want them to hire Hue.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won’t believe Marvin is gone until 2019 rolls around and his dumbass isn’t standing on the sideline.

Everyone here knows that MB is just itching for rationalization to keep Marvin another year.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won’t believe Marvin is gone until 2019 rolls around and his dumbass isn’t standing on the sideline.

Everyone here knows that MB is just itching for rationalization to keep Marvin another year.

I think Marvin might finally be finished... He, more than anybody, has to know that this current roster is trash and can't be fixed in one offseason. Now that his son isn't coaching with him, I can't imagine why he wants to engage in another year of this crap.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Marvin might finally be finished... He, more than anybody, has to know that this current roster is trash and can't be fixed in one offseason. Now that his son isn't coaching with him, I can't imagine why he wants to engage in another year of this crap.

What pisses me off more than anything is if Marvin leaves....it will be on his own terms. In what universe does a coach of 16 years with 0 playoff wins, and barely a .500 record, get to ride off into the sunset?

He ass should’ve been fired 5 years ago. This organization is an utter embarrassment.