• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mark Jackson/ Phil Jackson

MullinsMagic421

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've all heard recently how Mark Jackson prefers to use the Phil Jackson method of not calling a timeout when things are going afoul. Let your players figure it out on their own so to speak. Giving them confidence in themselves. I for one don't mind this strategy.

Why stop there though. Phil Jackson was the best coach in basketball during my lifetime.

Now I'm not going to say we need to adopt the triangle offense or anything that would just be plum dumb, seeing as Stephen Curry wouldn't be properly utilized in that particular system.

There are some things that Mark should emulate of Phil's if he wants to take it a step further.

#1 Scottie Pippen used to cover Magic Johnson when the Bulls played the Lakers. The Warriors will have their version of Scottie back in a couple of weeks (Andre Iguodala). Klay is a great defender IMO, but Phil wouldn't have put him on the opposing teams best perimeter player. He'd match his best with his oppositions best.

#2 Dennis Rodman used to cover Karl Malone when the Bulls played the Jazz. The Warriors have their own version of a man who's adept at getting under people's skin, his name is Andrew Bogut. Now this one may be a little trickier to convince people (Mark Jackson included) of. Considering Rodman wasn't the shot blocker Bogut is, and David Lee would be left to defend the paint if a player such as LaMarcus Aldridge takes Bogut out to 15 feet. Yet the same principle applies here, my best versus your best. Man to man defense, not zone.

That's all for now... just a little food for thought.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every few months this type of thread comes up.

My general opinion on this is, get Mark (Jackson) better/healthy players and they will perform.

As good as our players are now, are anything HOF caliber? Steph in a few years if he can stay out of street clothes, Klay/HB if they can sustain that level of player.

Andre Iguodala, I would consider a step below HOF, he's going to be in the conversation, but his value probably can't be measured in stats, so he wont' get in.

Phil had , Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Kobe, Shaq, and then the 2nd/3rd tier role players Grant, Kerr, B.J *I can only shoot open 3 pointers* Armstrong, Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, Robert Horry etc.

Should Mark try to adopt some of Phil's strategies? SURE. If it turns HB into Jordan, I'm all for it, otherwise, we have to play our style of ball. Not any other teams style.

WORD

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot imagine using the names Marc Jackson and Phil Jackson in the same sentence unless you are comparing the best of tacticians with the worst of them. Marc Jackson is little more than a preacher and motivational speaker.

MullinsMagic421

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marc Jackson was a truck of a player, not a coach.

MullinsMagic421

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil Jackson was a master motivator known as the Zen Master.

MullinsMagic421

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tex Winters was Phil Jacksons tactician.

MullinsMagic421

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry they'll get it together.

MullinsMagic421

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe in Mark Jackson. Plus things are already looking up, Nemanja Nedovic scored 31 last night in his D-league debut. 11 and 12 from Seth Curry as well. Our point guard is our leader and our leader was a point guard... Makes sense to me.

DonyellFreak

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot imagine using the names Marc Jackson and Phil Jackson in the same sentence unless you are comparing the best of tacticians with the worst of them. Marc Jackson is little more than a preacher and motivational speaker.

:10:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe its all the losing we did at a record pace before Jackson came but I'm not particularly impressed with him. After all, we are only one buzzer beater from the corner from being a .500 team.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting used to Jackson day by day. This team is struggling, but they are playing in an ultra competitive conference without clearly their best defensive player, and with a thin bench.

However, Jackson was a point guard for what, almost 18 years, so the man has the knowledge it takes to run an offense. This team's defensive intensity has clearly picked up from prior coaches and that in itself is something you can not overlook.

However, with the OP's original comment, I see the parallels but both Pippen and Rodman are HOF's. Iggy probably won't make it and Bogut doesn't have the offense to even be considered as a HOF. Not even close. I like Bogut and what he does in the paint defensively, but he doesn't open it up for other players to score because no one will double team Bogut on the block.

MullinsMagic421

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The next lesson Mark Jackson can take from Phil Jackson is before the next big game take one for the team and either call out the refs or point out how opposing players cheat. This one's entirety on Mark though, could cost him some money.