• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mark Jackson needs to go

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone mentioned on one of the sports shows today, I can't remember which, that Steve Kerr is interested in the Warriors job and they are interested in him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"This guy is seemingly unbearable to work with."

Unless you happen to be one of his players who seem to really like him as a coach for the most part.

_so_money_

Dubmaster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knicks are going hard after Kerr and they might lock him up before Lacob even officially puts him on a lost. D'Antoni is available LOL (seriously, just say no).

My dream scenario is Rivers quits in disgust after Sterling refuses to sell (which he said he would today) and Lacob snaps him up.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"This guy is seemingly unbearable to work with."

Unless you happen to be one of his players who seem to really like him as a coach for the most part.

Well - the players have seen how he's handled the Scalabrine and Erman situations. Would they dare say anything not nice about him?

Either way, this job isn't just about the players. It's also about opening a solid line of communication with management and having a strong coaching staff around - both of which Jackson seems to take for granted.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I laugh every time someone in the media (particularly Wilbon and Stephen A.) when they claim that the Warriors would be stupid to fire Jackson.

What has he done, exactly?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Unless you happen to be one of his players who share his faith and seem to really like him as a coach for the most part."

I'd say that's a pretty simplistic explanation for why he's popular with his players. It's probably a component of it, but you can be religious and certainly be a tyrant to boot. He seems to be a player's coach from all indications.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Well - the players have seen how he's handled the Scalabrine and Erman situations. Would they dare say anything not nice about him?"

Hard to say, regarding the players. I think that's difficult to get a read on unless your'e really an insider. Also I don't just assume that Jackson is the only culpable party in regards to Scalabrine and Erman. The media loves to exaggerate, so I listen, but I also try to apply a filter of reasonableness.

"Either way, this job isn't just about the players. It's also about opening a solid line of communication with management and having a strong coaching staff around - both of which Jackson seems to take for granted.[/quote]"

I don't disagree, but it is a player's league, and they seem to support Jackson. I think Lacob has to tread carefully here. I'm on the fence about Jackson myself, as I don't think this team has really underacheived with him as coach.

I think the bench is terrible, Barnes has been disappointment, and I don't think the mix of players is right. Warriors starting 5 is very good, but top to botton this roster leaves alot to be desired. Not a championship team at this point. Interesting that Myers hasn't come under the same scrutiny that Jackson has.

gsw_lightning

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see what happens with the Draft and Free Agency. I think the Warriors have enough currency now within the League to at least attract top FA names in the Summer. Understand the Jackson concerns, but what did you expect from a "Coach" who previously never had an NBA coaching gig before this one? Same could be said for other NBA rookie "Coaches" like Jason Kidd. Lacob so far has done a good job positioning the Warriors for the future with the SF stadium at Mission Bay, and the Front Office staff. It's looking good for the long haul.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Well - the players have seen how he's handled the Scalabrine and Erman situations. Would they dare say anything not nice about him?"

Hard to say, regarding the players. I think that's difficult to get a read on unless your'e really an insider. Also I don't just assume that Jackson is the only culpable party in regards to Scalabrine and Erman. The media loves to exaggerate, so I listen, but I also try to apply a filter of reasonableness.

"Either way, this job isn't just about the players. It's also about opening a solid line of communication with management and having a strong coaching staff around - both of which Jackson seems to take for granted.
"

I don't disagree, but it is a player's league, and they seem to support Jackson. I think Lacob has to tread carefully here. I'm on the fence about Jackson myself, as I don't think this team has really underacheived with him as coach.

I think the bench is terrible, Barnes has been disappointment, and I don't think the mix of players is right. Warriors starting 5 is very good, but top to botton this roster leaves alot to be desired. Not a championship team at this point. Interesting that Myers hasn't come under the same scrutiny that Jackson has.[/QUOTE]

And to me, that's Jax' biggest failure. He can't make Avi a good defender, and he can't make Steph a more careful passer. But he can, and should, be able to develop HB.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see what happens with the Draft and Free Agency. I think the Warriors have enough currency now within the League to at least attract top FA names in the Summer. Understand the Jackson concerns, but what did you expect from a "Coach" who previously never had an NBA coaching gig before this one? Same could be said for other NBA rookie "Coaches" like Jason Kidd. Lacob so far has done a good job positioning the Warriors for the future with the SF stadium at Mission Bay, and the Front Office staff. It's looking good for the long haul.

We are up against the cap; I can't see the room for a top FA.

Or even a good FA.

Let's see Myers make some moves, starting with a trade of Avi.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the bench is terrible, Barnes has been disappointment, and I don't think the mix of players is right. Warriors starting 5 is very good, but top to botton this roster leaves alot to be desired. Not a championship team at this point. Interesting that Myers hasn't come under the same scrutiny that Jackson has.

I think this sums up my point of view pretty precisely. I don't think Jackson HAS to go, but if there is an upgrade in coaching, it most certainly has to be explored.

Lacob has to factor in 2 things: Player perception and franchise perception.

Player perception has to go with a team moving on from Jackson, for the sake of making a move. Jackson has the player's ear in the locker room and they are all staunch supporters of him. The only way you can get the players to get on board with removing a guy that popular would be bringing in a clearly superior coaching mind with an impressive/championship pedigree. Making a lateral move could potentially cause further dysfunction within the locker room.

Franchise perception is that they also cannot make a move to remove a guy who has turned the franchise around and increased win totals in each of his years here with the team (including back to back playoff appearances), with someone who has less of a resume than Jackson. This is why I think Kerr would be a terrible hire. If the franchise does not show any sort of loyalty, there will be less and less coaches inclined to want to be a part of our organizations. You're essentially telling them that even if they win, they can get the axe.

I hate a lot of Jackson's strategies and his game management, but even I cannot get on board with removing him just to put another college coach or inexperienced person at the helm. There are only 3 coaches I would consider if they were available:

1) Tom Thibodeau. If he becomes available for some reason, he should be a priority.
2) Doc Rivers. Has already won an NBA championship. Top tier NBA Coach.
3) Stan Van Gundy. Always thought he had a raw deal everywhere he coached. Still very surprised he has not had another coaching job.

I left Stan Van Gundy off the list because there is absolutely no way he would consider taking over if the Warriors let Jackson go.

If those three are not available, Jackson should still remain the coach.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Either way, this job isn't just about the players. It's also about opening a solid line of communication with management and having a strong coaching staff around - both of which Jackson seems to take for granted.
"

I think the bench is terrible, Barnes has been disappointment, and I don't think the mix of players is right. Warriors starting 5 is very good, but top to botton this roster leaves alot to be desired. Not a championship team at this point. Interesting that Myers hasn't come under the same scrutiny that Jackson has.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the bench is terrible, and part of his responsibility, as a coach, is to develop young players like Barnes.

Of course it's not a Championship team. I don't expect a Championship out of this current team. But that doesn't negate the fact that Jackson seems to be a complete arse to work with/for, and is quite stubborn and self-righteous.

And I think the players will get over it. We have a bunch of good guys on this team, and they'll support the next coach just as much.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"

I don't think the bench is terrible, and part of his responsibility, as a coach, is to develop young players like Barnes.

Of course it's not a Championship team. I don't expect a Championship out of this current team. But that doesn't negate the fact that Jackson seems to be a complete arse to work with/for, and is quite stubborn and self-righteous.

And I think the players will get over it. We have a bunch of good guys on this team, and they'll support the next coach just as much.[/QUOTE]

:agree:

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team plays so hard for him. I think you have to re-sign him. Let the bench guards go. Go after Isaiah as the backup to fill the Jack/Nate Robinson role. Sign BRush on the cheap to backup at the 2.

Hope they can be healthy in the front court. Package Lee and Barnes if Love is available...Otherwise, let the team grow together.

Jackson will learn. Unless Thibbs is available, you don't break the chemistry up. They did that after the We Believe run. Learn from that mistake.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to me, that's Jax' biggest failure. He can't make Avi a good defender, and he can't make Steph a more careful passer. But he can, and should, be able to develop HB.

What exactly should he be doing differently to develop Harrison Barnes lol? A player who in my opinion has zero bball instincts and a poor feel for the game, despite his physical talent. A guy who shot 29% from the field in March, which was the worst in the entire association. You can't coach a guy to knock down open shots. Maybe Myers should take this bullet? At the time he acquired Iguadola, there was concern that this would hinder Barnes' development and it seems like it has. Jackson had no choice but to send him to the bench. He had an opportunity to step up and lead that unit and he failed miserably. I really think it's a stretch to say the Jackson has failed with Barnes. He's been very patient with him and has given him every opportunity to succeed. When he plays with W's starting unit he's been better, but hardly great. Barnes has a responsibility to improve his own game, and I've seen no growth this year myself.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly should he be doing differently to develop Harrison Barnes lol? A player who in my opinion has zero bball instincts and a poor feel for the game, despite his physical talent. A guy who shot 29% from the field in March, which was the worst in the entire association. You can't coach a guy to knock down open shots. Maybe Myers should take this bullet? At the time he acquired Iguadola, there was concern that this would hinder Barnes' development and it seems like it has. Jackson had no choice but to send him to the bench. He had an opportunity to step up and lead that unit and he failed miserably. I really think it's a stretch to say the Jackson has failed with Barnes. He's been very patient with him and has given him every opportunity to succeed. When he plays with W's starting unit he's been better, but hardly great. Barnes has a responsibility to improve his own game, and I've seen no growth this year myself.

If a young player isn't growing, then it's one of two things:
1. He's just not that good; or
2. He's not being coached up.

From what I've seen of HBs floor game, he's not being coached up. It's symptomatic of the entire offense in general. Other than screens and pick and rolls, what exactly does Jax scheme?

Maybe HB just isn't good; that seems to be your position. I disagree.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The player development usually isn't the direct result of a head coach, but the assistants. They are the ones who are brought in to help develop players. The assistants are the ones who work with the players day in and day out on honing the parts of their game. The head coach is more focused on the team as a whole. Not to say that he might not make suggestions or work with players directly, but the majority of player development falls on the assistants.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a young player isn't growing, then it's one of two things:
1. He's just not that good; or
2. He's not being coached up.

From what I've seen of HBs floor game, he's not being coached up. It's symptomatic of the entire offense in general. Other than screens and pick and rolls, what exactly does Jax scheme?

Maybe HB just isn't good; that seems to be your position. I disagree.

As a 7th round pick, the Warriors have a big investment in Barnes, and I'm sure his development as a player has been spared no shortage of coaching resources. Jackson is the head coach and the Warriors have been involved in a fight for playoff position for a large portion of the season. It isn't Jackson's responsibility to "develop" Barnes in that capacity. As a head coach he has bigger fish to fry. Curry, Thompson and Green have significantly evolved their games during Jackson's tenure as a coach. Do think that's because Jackson has successfully developed them as players? If so his batting average is pretty good. I hope I'm wrong about Barnes, but he looks like a rotation player to me. Obviously next year is critical for him.