• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: MARINERS MINORS 2021

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Benintendi was #1 on BA's list in 2017 and is available in the right deal.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Jackson was ranked #20 on that list in 2015 and out of the top 100 the next year.

Tai Walker #11 in 2014.

And I hate to mention this but, Montero was #6 in 2012.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Jackson was ranked #20 on that list in 2015 and out of the top 100 the next year.

Tai Walker #11 in 2014.

And I hate to mention this but, Montero was #6 in 2012.
Man can you let us be hopeful lol you killed all the energy.

But you are correct this list doesn't mean that the player will be destined for greatness I know Kelenic is highly rated but I really don't see that guy being better than a Charlie Blackmon whom was a really good player but nothing ground breaking. I am also in the belief that Evan White will be nothing more but a really good glove at 1st base and at best average at the plate because his 200 at bat show last year was terrible striking out left and right.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man can you let us be hopeful lol you killed all the energy.

But you are correct this list doesn't mean that the player will be destined for greatness I know Kelenic is highly rated but I really don't see that guy being better than a Charlie Blackmon whom was a really good player but nothing ground breaking. I am also in the belief that Evan White will be nothing more but a really good glove at 1st base and at best average at the plate because his 200 at bat show last year was terrible striking out left and right.

I tend to agree with you but am hoping for better. Of course I could name about a 100 former prospects I hoped better for and rarely got my wish.

I tend to see White as the 1B version of Zunino but with better defense. I just can't see a guy who swings as hard s he does being a hitter for average. But also we don't exactly have a high water mark at 1B for him to reach over the last 15years or so.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with you but am hoping for better. Of course I could name about a 100 former prospects I hoped better for and rarely got my wish.

I tend to see White as the 1B version of Zunino but with better defense. I just can't see a guy who swings as hard s he does being a hitter for average. But also we don't exactly have a high water mark at 1B for him to reach over the last 15years or so.
agreed...
white is a bit zuninoish...but he did skip..strait from AA to mlb..for his defence...so i give him a couple years ..to adjust

im lookng at emerson hancock...maybe a future ...ace...hummmmm

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im lookng at emerson hancock...maybe a future ...ace...hummmmm
I am not sure why because history is not on their side, but I really expect good things from Hancock, Kirby, and Gilbert. Carlson maybe as well if he stays healthy. Of course their talent has a great chance of being used by other teams when we deal them for utility players...

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure why because history is not on their side, but I really expect good things from Hancock, Kirby, and Gilbert. Carlson maybe as well if he stays healthy. Of course their talent has a great chance of being used by other teams when we deal them for utility players...
lol..yeah...
Juan Then 43..is the anomalous sleeper..who is every bit as good as the other guys

one thing a lot of people overlook..is that the tacoma...relief guys..are some of the best in baseball..that have not reached..mlb...we will see
a good tacoma baseball team..this year...totally worth going..for the show....i will..prob make the trek..from portland.lol
i still have relatives in tacoma as well...lol

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i will..prob make the trek..from portland.lol

You are even further drive away than I am by about 40-45 minutes. Enjoy the drive.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are even further drive away than I am by about 40-45 minutes. Enjoy the drive.
yeah..im trucking and..doing a bit of construction..these days with my brother...rather than being a deck hand.......in clackamas county..its good..its
not multnomah..which is portland..that is a bad spot
but im just an old tacoma kid..went to franklin pierce..back in the day...AA for football..back then....but that is enough about me..other than
gulf war vet..desert shield /desert storm..USN

guys to watch..

Eric Filia72............L/L.....Dh/1b/RF.....not on the 40 man...........invited to spring training..........eric is verry important to the mariners...with a car
320 ave..in the miners....mariners need LH bats......i dont know of any other prospects..that have a 320 miners car ave..that are not in the big leagues
my guess is that eric..will be there......... sooon.............mariners could use eric as#3 in the lineup....when he is ready
but also..it depends on how José Marmolejos 26..does..a backup 1b..at the verry least..he plays LF as well
mariners are not putting all there eggs in the same basket

that said

Jarred Kelenic
...........L/L......CF...........invited to spring training......if he does well there.he could be moved up to tacoma.and others will be sent to arkansas.which would put him in position for..a late september call up..or a next year call up

these 2 guys are big reasons..why the mariners did not go out and get a free agent ..LH BAT.when..they really need to do..an eval over time on almost everyone.,.it could take ..till almost ..till...late july early august..to do that..a good..time..lol..i would say..just in time for a trade...lol

by the time..they do an eval..on
Chris Flexen 77..........they will know weather he will start or..go out of the bull pen...by then..a couple months into the season

Logan Gilbert
...should be ready for a start...anytime...one of the starters..is not ready

the 2 LH bats..are are the reason...they did not get a ..........FREE agent bat.........and gilbert..is the reason.....they prob will not sign walker
to me...the 2nd best free agent pitcher..at just 28 yo..and next to baur..best stats last year.and coming off TJ..whoever get walker..he will be good this year..........imo

best of the rest..not on the top 100 list next..

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah..im trucking and..doing a bit of construction..these days with my brother...rather than being a deck hand.......in clackamas county..its good..its
not multnomah..which is portland..that is a bad spot
but im just an old tacoma kid..went to franklin pierce..back in the day...AA for football..back then....but that is enough about me..other than
gulf war vet..desert shield /desert storm..USN
I have been to Clackamas many times. I had my kidney stone surgery there at the Kaiser last year. I agree it is not Multnomah County which I avoid at all costs. I'm in Cowlitz County so not far from you.

Thanks for your service. My niece's husband is a vet of those wars as well and now lives in Clark County. He is a Deputy and is more worried doing that. Crazy. My ex-wife was in the Navy when we first got married. She ended up stationed in California for 4 years as a corpsman. Our daughter was born in a marine hospital where her mom was stationed. My dad spent 23 years in the army. He served in WW2 and other battles.

Take care of yourself and see you around on here.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
best of the rest ..not in the top 100
kirby is a really good pitcher...who may out pace the rest of these guys...cuz..he has good control..and does not walk guys....if..the miners play this year.....kirby could go up as far as tacoma..but they need some stats for him..so he will prob start..at .HIGH A..EVERETT
as well as
Cal Raleigh29......................CATCH......should be at tacoma.....soon.....which will give the mariners 3 good catchers.....they will have depth at that point..at catcher

Ty Duvall
..should move up some at catcher..........was awesome at vanderbilt..he is ok good on defence..with room to improve
his bat..is good for a catcher...and he is a LH bat.......a free agent..after last years..10 round draft..mariners got lucky...he signed with them
Juan Then 43.........................he should be on the same timeline..as kirby...he is to good to trade..right now
Brandon Williamson......also should be on the same timeline as kirby
Isaiah Campbell.............should be prob at least a year behind kirby

like the other guys on this list..they need to play..so we can get some stats

Austin Shenton
.....3B..and

Patrick Frick
..........SS

Bobby Honeyman
.......3B
are all good infield prospects..who could break out......they just need to play
most of the goo--ood mariners prospects......are at HIGH A..right now..pending some playing time

Adam Hill
..........RHP.....will prob take ..gilberts spot at..arkansas..to start with

Connor Kopach82.......SS.....connor is good...and only went as low as he did in the draft...was cuz..he was injured......good for the mariners cuz...know.....he is progressing nicely..hes at arkansas..but could be at tacoma......... soon

Mike Salvatore13..a guy who should be up to LOW A...modesto soon..he had an injury..the year he was drafted or he would of went prob 3rd or 4th round........could play some outfield ..we will see on that........did not have a good year either at west virgina....but it was only 149..at bats

Connor Phillips
.............RHP............
  • Draft: Round CBB (2020, SEA)
  • School: McLennan CC, TX
i have herd good things about this guy......prob why they took him cbb

Zach DeLoach
.....CF..mariners 2round pick

Noelvi Marte
.......................SS..........i expect..noelvi...to be in this infield..........that is why i put him ..right here

Kaden Polcovich
...........2B.mariners 3rd. round pick

Tyler Keenan
...............1B/3B..mariners 4th round pick

Taylor Dollard
............RHP.mariners.5th round pick

that is all for now...as i have said..in the other thread......mariners will need outfields..and..continue..with there drafting of good pitchers
HS and collage
this comeing draft is every bit as important..as ones before it...to keep the mariners stocked with talent
and
integrate..dsl..players with HS players....at the AZL...lvl...for the future.......cuz of no...rookie league

thats all i have ......for now

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i forgot..
Sam Carlson...should have been on that list....and i really did not go into bull pen guys..and i wont..cuz..the mariners have more than they need...for now
which is good..cuz they need a strong area..for the next draft

i can see a rotation of
Emerson Hancock56
Jorge Benitez.....................L/L
Sam Carlson
Max Roberts.......L/L.......have to get some good numbers for max...or he is going to be done....
Connor Phillips
Taylor Dollard
Damon Casetta-Stubbs

that is a good number of starting pitchers...and really...they will need all of them ..when move ups start happening..maybe around june or july..or even sooner

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I don’t get. How do Kelenic and Rodriguez keep flip flopping in the rankings the past two years when neither has taken a meaningful AB. IMO Kelenic is the best prospect only because he has lefty Mike Trout potential with his 5 tool skill set as his ceiling. JRod has a Vlad Guerrero ceiling, where isn’t a great base stealer....and obviously in two years in minor league baseball having two injuries also has become a concern, but Lewis has worse injuries and showed he at least could be dominant. We all got to remember with Lewis the pitchers just started adjusting to him but it was only a 60 game season so we didn’t get to see his adjustments back.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I don’t get. How do Kelenic and Rodriguez keep flip flopping in the rankings the past two years when neither has taken a meaningful AB. IMO Kelenic is the best prospect only because he has lefty Mike Trout potential with his 5 tool skill set as his ceiling. JRod has a Vlad Guerrero ceiling, where isn’t a great base stealer....and obviously in two years in minor league baseball having two injuries also has become a concern, but Lewis has worse injuries and showed he at least could be dominant. We all got to remember with Lewis the pitchers just started adjusting to him but it was only a 60 game season so we didn’t get to see his adjustments back.
Well the simple answer is that these rankings only exist to make the companies providing them millions. They are entertaining to look through, but they are meaningless in the end. They allow teams like Seattle to sell fans several non-competitive years without outrage by posting these lists over and over. Remember when Phil Nevin was the can't miss prospect? There are hundreds of those in baseball and that is why I put zero worth into them. Enjoy them for the entertainment value.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the simple answer is that these rankings only exist to make the companies providing them millions. They are entertaining to look through, but they are meaningless in the end. They allow teams like Seattle to sell fans several non-competitive years without outrage by posting these lists over and over. Remember when Phil Nevin was the can't miss prospect? There are hundreds of those in baseball and that is why I put zero worth into them. Enjoy them for the entertainment value.
Well no, I had no idea who Nevin was an had to google him. I get the whole they want to make money but I will say scouting is hard in baseball because it is so much of a projection when even AAU baseball or whatever it is called now, you never see the best of the best play each other. I would’ve bet my entire life at the time Jeff Clement was going to be a star.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well no, I had no idea who Nevin was an had to google him. I get the whole they want to make money but I will say scouting is hard in baseball because it is so much of a projection when even AAU baseball or whatever it is called now, you never see the best of the best play each other. I would’ve bet my entire life at the time Jeff Clement was going to be a star.
I am with you on that. I loved Clement at USC watching him destroy teams in the tournament that year.

Scouting in baseball is hard. I might even say impossible. I think teams get lucky mores than hit on prospects. Not sure why this is compared to other sports. My theory (and it is worth its weight in gold I tell ya) is that baseball is the only sport of the majors that take their picks and play them against equal or lesser talent at a lower talent level in order to develop them. You take basketball and football and they take their kids and practice them against their top players. They may not play the kids for months or even a year or two before giving them game time, but they are always practicing (and I say developing) against players they hope to one day compete against. Baseball doesn't do that so even when a kid shows great promise he gets humbled when he then has to go against top talent. Call it sticker shock or whatever, but I believe it plays a factor. The solution? Well I can't give away all my secrets. :)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you on that. I loved Clement at USC watching him destroy teams in the tournament that year.

Scouting in baseball is hard. I might even say impossible. I think teams get lucky mores than hit on prospects. Not sure why this is compared to other sports. My theory (and it is worth its weight in gold I tell ya) is that baseball is the only sport of the majors that take their picks and play them against equal or lesser talent at a lower talent level in order to develop them. You take basketball and football and they take their kids and practice them against their top players. They may not play the kids for months or even a year or two before giving them game time, but they are always practicing (and I say developing) against players they hope to one day compete against. Baseball doesn't do that so even when a kid shows great promise he gets humbled when he then has to go against top talent. Call it sticker shock or whatever, but I believe it plays a factor. The solution? Well I can't give away all my secrets. :)
Lol ok we agree.

I am not saying I disagree at all with your take it is for clicks or whatever the terms was pre internet. I am just saying that while they are wrong a lot. The prospect ratings IMO are a better measurement than nearly anything we/they or whatever have. On the ratings lists there are more Strasburg, Trout, Tatis Jr etc/vs guys no one knows of like Pujols that make the HOF. The Every sport is kind of the same though, the NFL and NBA are the same where there are rankings and a lot flop but there is a much better chance of a guy like Michael Jordan, Lebron James, Aaron Rodgers or heck even high school rankings of 4 star recruits being a HOFer than a Tom Brady and baseball has 10 ten times the rounds/prospects. As of right now the best players on the Mariners big league roster were all top 3 round picks, and the M’s right now have 4 guys who are “rated” better than any prospect they have had outside of Adam Jones in the past two decades and he turned out alright.

PS, yes I agree with you on your assessment of Clement. I honestly had no idea who he was until Pat Borders was playing tape of him as a freshmen destroying balls at USC. Wasn’t a great catcher but his bat in college was just as good as all of the left handed power hitters (Palmerio and Ortiz) who killed it at Safeco. No idea what happened mentally to him but he is the definition of what is wrong with projections.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kyle lewis...dealing with adversity
may have made him ..........even better