• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maldives 2020

bamagrad75

All Who Wander Are Not Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a hell of an effort between trying to arrange flights & getting valid covid tests but we made it through Dubai to the Maldives for a bit more than 2 weeks diving & snorkeling on the island. It was heaven to walk around without a mask most of the time.

A few pictures from our journey

Emperor Angelfish

mal2010rs.Vivid_ful.jpg

Coral Beak Butterflyfish

mal2023rs.Vivid_ful.jpg

Sometimes an eel just doesn't WANT his picture taken & lets you know that

mal2029rs.Vivid_ful.jpg

View from our island to another one.

mal2050rs.pg.jpg

A blacktip and a whitetip reef shark. We had sharks around us every time we went in the water. In the early morning & late afternoon, we'd go up to a sheltered area to watch the baby blacktip sharks swim around. The only time I got a little nervous was when one blacktip started circling me on a morning snorkel. No music so I was okay.

mal2069rs.jpg

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few more pictures. Some were taken at another resort about a 10 minute boat ride away where my daughter went to dive with their shop.

I saw 4 octo on the first day, then several more almost every time I fell in the water. This one got seriously angry that I came in close for shots. They will turn this angry red if you are too close.

mal2078rs.Vivid_ful.jpg

One day I found 2 octos on one rock. One turned the angry red at me, this one tried to become the color of the rock to throw me off him.

mal2084rs.Vivid_ful.jpg

Parrotfish

mal2098rs.Vivid_ful.jpg

From the other resort we visited, looking back toward our island

mal31.JPG

This interesting fish actually looks like a piece of seaweed...except you don't much see seaweed in the Maldives. It's actually a baby rockmover wrasse. The ONLY place I've ever seen the baby is at THIS resort in the Maldives. Found one 2 years ago when I was here & daughter spotted this one this time. It's maybe 4 inches long so not easy to even spot

P9050044rs.Vivid_ful.jpg

We spent a day in Dubai on the way back but the temperature was running between 104 and 108 and the city was hazy with heat. Ended up spending most of our time touring the Mall of the Emirates (Ski Dubai) and Dubai Mall (the fountains & giant indoor salt water aquarium). Next year, hopefully we can get out & about more.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,089.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really great shots. Love the hungry eel. Tell me what are the red, round objects near the eel. Are those sharks a species that ignore a potential human feast?

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really great shots. Love the hungry eel. Tell me what are the red, round objects near the eel. Are those sharks a species that ignore a potential human feast?

Sorry, just saw this.

They are basically a tunicate. It's an invertebrate that feeds on plankton by drawing it in through their "mouth". They can form colonies.

The most beautiful ones are the heart ascidians which can grow large and are very colorful. Beautiful ones in the Pacific and IndoPacific.

Those are white tip and black tip reef sharks. Pretty much are used to humans and ignore us. Had them swim right along side of me, not a foot away.

The only time I've had one get aggressive was on a night snorkel when I accidentally shined my light dead in it's eye while it was night hunting. It caught the flash and thought i might be a silver color fish and came dead at me. It passed inches between the guide and me. Yes, you can scream underwater. Lol.

The dangerous white tip sharks are the oceanic white tips. Its said they can hear a plane crashing or boat sinking miles away. They now think oceanic white tips may have been responsible for the Indianapolis deaths more than tiger sharks.

Basically your reef sharks, black tips, white tips, grey and nurse dont pay much attention to people unless they are separate fishing.