• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Make me Laugh. Try to explain SOS - Strength of Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to be clear, I wouldn't support treating FCS games that way in the real world. BTW, if G5 teams are not owed playoff access, why don't P5 leagues adopt an objective system and just give themselves a head start?

Your main issue is you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The results of the LSU-UCF game don’t invalidate his system any more than the results of the Auburn-UCF game validated it. I’d have no problem if the committee used it as part of their evaluation process, but neither it nor any other “objective” system will ever be the sole selector for the playoff. As he said, all conferences are not equally difficult, and for a simple mathematical formula to work they would need to be at least close. In his system, assigning no points or points equal to the worst FBS team for FCS games assumes that all FCS teams are worse than the worst FBS, and we know that’s not true either. If the playoff had 8 or more slots, it might work, but for 4? Nope.

The biggest reason that his system won’t ever be used to select the playoff teams is that the playoff is a creation of the P5 conferences, and they damn sure aren’t going to use a system that assumes that the AAC and Sunbelt are equal to the P5s. They aren’t owed access to the playoff, no matter how much they whine about how unfair it is. As somebody once said, you didn’t build that. If they want their own championship playoff, have at it.

This post is bullshit.

When you show a G5 team that is undefeated and playing a tough schedule, then you can claim G5 teams are kept out for ignorant reasons like "P5 don't want them". Until then, the simple fact of the matter is there are a limited amount of spots and if you put a shit team like UCF in the playoffs you screw other teams in the process. It's not like there is an extra spot available and everyone is like - well, UCF, nah. There are other teams who are doing way more in the year who deserve it. Period.

These money conspiracy type excuses are just ignorant and lazy.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This post is bullshit.

When you show a G5 team that is undefeated and playing a tough schedule, then you can claim G5 teams are kept out for ignorant reasons like "P5 don't want them". Until then, the simple fact of the matter is there are a limited amount of spots and if you put a shit team like UCF in the playoffs you screw other teams in the process. It's not like there is an extra spot available and everyone is like - well, UCF, nah. There are other teams who are doing way more in the year who deserve it. Period.

Everything is about money for P5. Define a tough schedule G5 teams.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything is about money for P5.

Bullshit.

The truth is the G5's live on the back of P5's and P5 teams give the G5 teams money when they do not have too. All these G5 teams CHOOSE to jump up to the FBS level, they can all drop down into the FCS league if they want too. If P5 teams only wanted to maximize there revenue, they would fully separate themselves from the NCAA.

But like I said, it's lazy and ignorant people who take this route. Just assume the worse, even while talking about non-profit organizations who use the money generate for other sports, while many of them are lucky to break even.

Fuck the reality, fuck doing anything that resembles research, fuck becoming informed on the topic, let's just apply my own biases and say "cuz money". Dumbass.

Define a tough schedule G5 teams.

There is no tough schedule with only G5 teams.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm playing dumb because I don't know what you mean by your own statement?

So 15 pages in you don't know what the topic is?

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit.

The truth is the G5's live on the back of P5's and P5 teams give the G5 teams money when they do not have too. All these G5 teams CHOOSE to jump up to the FBS level, they can all drop down into the FCS league if they want too. If P5 teams only wanted to maximize there revenue, they would fully separate themselves from the NCAA.

But like I said, it's lazy and ignorant people who take this route. Just assume the worse, even while talking about non-profit organizations who use the money generate for other sports, while many of them are lucky to break even.

Fuck the reality, fuck doing anything that resembles research, fuck becoming informed on the topic, let's just apply my own biases and say "cuz money". Dumbass.

There is no tough schedule with only G5 teams.

If P5 leagues left, they all couldn't play seven home games unless they played two FCS teams every year or G5 teams continued to schedule them on their terms. How would leaving look any different than the status quo? Everything you said is about money and I'm sure the people running those leagues and colleges don't pay themselves more. Also, many G5 teams have always been in FBS and some have spent time in power leagues. Furthermore, I'm not arguing for P5 teams to share money they generate for themselves. And G5s live off of the backs of P5 teams because the sport is purposely set up to limit their ability to maximize their potential. They have no choice in the matter when they are are basically not allowed to compete under a beauty contest system.

I didn't mean a G5 only schedule. Define a tough schedule for G5 teams.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 15 pages in you don't know what the topic is?

Still doesn't tell me what non existent problem I'm trying to solve is..............clearly I see a problem which demands a solution with respect to how teams are ranked.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not possible and not going to happen are very different.
Not really ... give me a single scenario, not matter how far fetched, that 130 teams are going to play enough against each other in 10 conferences so that " all FBS teams play equal or equal maximum game regular season schedules versus FBS competition only." Can't, won't, not realistic, all the same thing.

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to be clear, I wouldn't support treating FCS games that way in the real world. BTW, if G5 teams are not owed playoff access, why don't P5 leagues adopt an objective system and just give themselves a head start?

The history of the selection process has been away from a combination of computer and voting to all voting, I don’t see any way they would swing all the way over to all computer unless the voting was widely considered to be consistently putting obviously wrong choices in the playoff. Your system would have had UCF in over Alabama, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Auburn, USC, Penn State, Miami, and Washington in 2017, I don’t think that would have been widely considered a good choice, the next year they’d be adjusting the formula like they did when the BCS generated “wrong” results.

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This post is bullshit.

Show me where I said UCF belonged in the playoff, I’ll wait.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If P5 leagues left, they all couldn't play seven home games unless they played two FCS teams every year or G5 teams continued to schedule them on their terms. How would leaving look any different than the status quo? Everything you said is about money and I'm sure the people running those leagues and colleges don't pay themselves more. Also, many G5 teams have always been in FBS and some have spent time in power leagues. Furthermore, I'm not arguing for P5 teams to share money they generate for themselves. And G5s live off of the backs of P5 teams because the sport is purposely set up to limit their ability to maximize their potential. They have no choice in the matter when they are are basically not allowed to compete under a beauty contest system.

I didn't mean a G5 only schedule. Define a tough schedule for G5 teams.

Leaving wouldn't look any different for the P5 teams. The G5 teams however will become the new FCS. And everything I said wasn't about money, other than addressing that you claimed it was.

But I'm not sure you really understand where college football money comes from. And the part I bolded clearly shows you don't understand where the money that is made goes, or how the people in charge have their salaries decided/by who.

Futhermore, I don't think you know what the NCAA is if you think the "school's have no choice in the matter". You seem to have it backwards. The NCAA does what the schools want, not the other way around. And if the P5 schools decide they don't want the NCAA involved with the sport, they can just ignore them. The NCAA isn't involved with the deciding of the national championship in FBS and never has been that I know of. They aren't involved with the contracts in football either, like you see in basketball.

It's not a forced system legally or anything, and the threat of P5 breaking off is not just imaginary scenario on a message board, it's something they've been pretty much using to get more control over themselves and no subject to the rules the smaller schools decide just a few years ago.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still doesn't tell me what non existent problem I'm trying to solve is..............clearly I see a problem which demands a solution with respect to how teams are ranked.

Well holy shit, you finally got there.

And as I said, you're trying to provide a solution to a problem that doesn't actually exist.

The playoffs have been around for 4 years now, where are the examples of the rankings being wrong? Even over the BCS, where are the examples, outside needing 4 teams? They do not exist.

In fact, by the time the playoffs get here it's so damn obvious who the 4 teams are I don't even watch the rankings show and I post what they are going to be days in advance, year after year - and it's not because I'm special, most people who watch do it. The whole Ohio St vs Alabama thing 2 years ago? Didn't watch, it was obvious who the 4 best were even though it had 2 SEC teams in it. They sit down and they look at the data, they don't give a fuck about outside influences, they just put the best teams in.

Until they start fucking that up - you are trying to provide a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really ... give me a single scenario, not matter how far fetched, that 130 teams are going to play enough against each other in 10 conferences so that " all FBS teams play equal or equal maximum game regular season schedules versus FBS competition only." Can't, won't, not realistic, all the same thing.

That phrase does not mean whatever you think it means. By it, it is best if all FBS teams play the same number of games (or same max) versus FBS competition only. For example, all teams play 12 games with a potential 13th in a CCG vs FBS competition. This is ensures equal maximum points possible under my system. Furthermore, I don't care for FCS games and I don't have a method for weighing these games that I actually like.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The history of the selection process has been away from a combination of computer and voting to all voting, I don’t see any way they would swing all the way over to all computer unless the voting was widely considered to be consistently putting obviously wrong choices in the playoff. Your system would have had UCF in over Alabama, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Auburn, USC, Penn State, Miami, and Washington in 2017, I don’t think that would have been widely considered a good choice, the next year they’d be adjusting the formula like they did when the BCS generated “wrong” results.

I don't expect them to go away from a voting system since it so advantageous to P5 teams. That said, I don't believe there are right and wrong choices with respect to which teams make it. I think that is backwards thinking and unfortunately college football enjoys the maintaining the ability to manufacture/manipulate a desired outcome as opposed to leaving it up to the teams to beat each other according to agreed upon rules even if that means an undesirable like UCF qualifies. Beyond that, my desire for rules pertains to all teams and not just seeing that G5 teams get a fair opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.