• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Magic Johnson steps down

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Jerry West, I'm not sure I like the idea of "staying in the Lakers family".

Having said that, Kobe could be interesting.

He's definitely smart enough and if he brought the same work ethic that he does to everything else, he'd basically be the opposite of Magic.

He's also young enough that I think he'd be open to "modernizing" how the Lakers operate and while I'm sure today's players think playing for Magic would be pretty cool, I doubt they're as impressed by him as they are Kobe. They've seen videos of Magic, but many of them came up idolizing Kobe.

On the other hand, Kobe can be an asshole and I question his patience. Those could make him difficult to work with/play for.
Kobe has turned down all requests by Magic to join the Lakers - He has his own businesses and interests going and is flat out not interested, but the good news it was stated on Lakersnation.com that the position will be coveted. One name is Myers is with the Warriors, but if you are Warriors, you will not give the Lakers permission to speak to their main man

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says the fella that that got all upset in the first place because of what I said about your beloved Lakers. Keep those Purple 'n Gold homer goggles starpped to your head on real tight.
Hey, I've got mine on and you aren't Lakers fan then here is a message for you pal: :finger2::finger2::finger2::finger2::finger2:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe has turned down all requests by Magic to join the Lakers - He has his own businesses and interests going and is flat out not interested, but the good news it was stated on Lakersnation.com that the position will be coveted. One name is Myers is with the Warriors, but if you are Warriors, you will not give the Lakers permission to speak to their main man

There have been some recent extensions given to some front office guys around the league, wonder if Magic's exit accelerated those a bit. Kings extending ex-Laker Vlade comes to mind, not that I think he would really be a target.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been some recent extensions given to some front office guys around the league, wonder if Magic's exit accelerated those a bit. Kings extending ex-Laker Vlade comes to mind, not that I think he would really be a target.
The Kings are prepared to hire Luke Walton, the minute he is fired

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Jerry West, I'm not sure I like the idea of "staying in the Lakers family".

Having said that, Kobe could be interesting.

He's definitely smart enough and if he brought the same work ethic that he does to everything else, he'd basically be the opposite of Magic.

He's also young enough that I think he'd be open to "modernizing" how the Lakers operate and while I'm sure today's players think playing for Magic would be pretty cool, I doubt they're as impressed by him as they are Kobe. They've seen videos of Magic, but many of them came up idolizing Kobe.

On the other hand, Kobe can be an asshole and I question his patience. Those could make him difficult to work with/play for.

Jerry West is the exception to the rule of great players turning into great personnel men. Kobe will have to prove it

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry West is the exception to the rule of great players turning into great personnel men. Kobe will have to prove it

Agree. That's why I fond Kobe intriguing, but I'm not sure I would hire him. He's definitely smart enough to do the job and I don't think anyone would question his work ethic. Being the Lakers president was a temporary, part time job for Magic. He basically wanted to be there for the big signings like Lebron, but didn't want to do the rest of the work.

I don't see Kobe approaching it the same way. He apparently (according to Cowherd) has relationships with both Kyrie and Kawhi, that certainly wouldn't hurt the Lakers chances of getting one of them.

Kobe would probably be good. But, end of the day, it's still hiring a guy with no experience so there will be a learning curve that I'm not sure the Lakers want to deal with.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
magic is rich has many other things going on, and doesn't want the headaches. not sure why this is such a big surprise.
Being rich doesnt give you the right to flake out on people who trusted you. Life can be difficult, that doesnt mean you quit on it because you dont want to deal with it. Your thought process is extremely flawed.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being rich doesnt give you the right to flake out on people who trusted you. Life can be difficult, that doesnt mean you quit on it because you dont want to deal with it. Your thought process is extremely flawed.

anyone has a right to quit a job. maybe magic just wasn't right for the job.

jeanie buss doesn't seem to share your feelings about the situation.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont have feelings for what he did. I was simply replying to your line of reasoning.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont have feelings for what he did. I was simply replying to your line of reasoning.

anyone who has magic's kind of money is more likely to quit a high profile job if they aren't enjoying it. that's just the reality of the situation.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone who has magic's kind of money is more likely to quit a high profile job if they aren't enjoying it. that's just the reality of the situation.
But, its cowardly and entitled of him to do so. If you defend him because he is rich and can do it ill call a flaw in your thought process. Plain and simple.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, its cowardly and entitled of him to do so. If you defend him because he is rich and can do it ill call a flaw in your thought process. Plain and simple.

not defending him, just stating the reality of the situation.

you've never quit a job before? you're assuming he was the right person for the job. hanging on to a high profile job knowing you are not the right person for the job would be selfish.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if you think that Jeanie Buss' public statement is truthful to her actual thoughts then I am the King of England.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you think that Jeanie Buss' public statement is truthful to her actual thoughts then I am the King of England.

why should i doubt her?

magic's a jock, not an upper management executive. anyone who knows magic knows that.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why should i doubt her?

magic's a jock, not an upper management executive. anyone who knows magic knows that.
so you think that Magic quits without telling anyone, totally out of the blue and shes just like-- oh thats great i love magic, wish him the best!

its common sense

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you think that Magic quits without telling anyone, totally out of the blue and shes just like-- oh thats great i love magic, wish him the best!

its common sense

thats what she says. i'm not privy to their working relationship. why should i just blindly assume otherwise?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He shouldn't have taken the gig in the first place and probably only did it out of a sense of loyalty/obligation. Dude's worth 1/2 billion dollars with a lot of irons in the fire. Who needs the aggravation.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He shouldn't have taken the gig in the first place and probably only did it out of a sense of loyalty/obligation. Dude's worth 1/2 billion dollars with a lot of irons in the fire. Who needs the aggravation.
the thing is- he angled for the job for years- constantly undermining and needling Mitch and wittle Jimmy in the press, to and to the Laker ownership group in private. He gets the job- and figures out that its a helluva lot of work and then quits!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Magic pretty well said as much. He said it wasn't any fun and that he was likely going to have to effect some folks jobs after the season and that isn't what he wants to do. Apparently he wanted to fire both Luke and Pelinka.

Imo, he wanted to handle the FA signings and be the "closer" on those. When he realized that along with that he was also going to have to negotiate trades, hire and fire, etc., etc. he didn't want to do all of that.

In short, signing Lebron was fun. The AD debacle and having to decide on the futures of people working for him...wasn't.