• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mack traded to Bears

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears Mack has been traded to the Bears. Not sure for how much at this point.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya jelly?
:playball:

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reportedly for 2 first rounders plus more compensation.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two firsts, a third and a 6th for Mack a 2nd in 2020 and a conditional 5th in 2020.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Plus see the size of his contract.

I'm more than ok with Lynch being aggressive, but i can see why he didn't outbid Chicago.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus see the size of his contract.

I'm more than ok with Lynch being aggressive, but i can see why he didn't outbid Chicago.

The York's have made enough money from owning the 49ers they can spend a little and they are still very much under the salary cap and will be next year with Jimmy G's contract dropping over the next few years.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The York's have made enough money from owning the 49ers they can spend a little and they are still very much under the salary cap and will be next year with Jimmy G's contract dropping over the next few years.

Yes, they could've paid Mack that contract, but what about the draft picks? A mega deal like this considers the total picture, not just money.

Is this a SB contending team this season? Are we close to being a SB contending team?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, they could've paid Mack that contract, but what about the draft picks? A mega deal like this considers the total picture, not just money.

Is this a SB contending team this season? Are we close to being a SB contending team?

Yes they would have lost two firsts and more but with Mack on the defense they aren't as likely to be high draft picks and he is a known pass rusher. Next years draft does have a lot of pass rushers but who knows how good any of them will be at the NFL level Mack can play at a high level in the NFL. I would say I doubt they are a SB contending team this year but adding Mack would make them a whole hell of a lot closer. But I suppose you are right who needs a pro bowl pass rusher when you have the likes of Armstead, Marsh, Thomas, and Blair.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Furthermore if this team does play better they won't be able to draft a DE that is at Mack's level without moving up which would involve trading multiple draft picks likely two first round picks and yes it's a rookie wage scale deal but to get a pass rusher like him they would have to be picking in the top 5 so it's still going to be a large contract for a rookie.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that the details are in, including the $ that Mack will receive, I wouldn't be opposed if SF made that deal. I can certainly see a logical reason as to why Lynch didn't, (although the reports that SF were one of the more serious bidders for Mack's services) but KM is a serious talent who fully fills the most glaring needs of this team.

Next years draft is filled with pass rushing prospects, but Mack isn't a prospect. He's a blue-chip proven player who can wreck a game plan.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes they would have lost two firsts and more but with Mack on the defense they aren't as likely to be high draft picks and he is a known pass rusher. Next years draft does have a lot of pass rushers but who knows how good any of them will be at the NFL level Mack can play at a high level in the NFL. I would say I doubt they are a SB contending team this year but adding Mack would make them a whole hell of a lot closer. But I suppose you are right who needs a pro bowl pass rusher when you have the likes of Armstead, Marsh, Thomas, and Blair.

Yeah, so you're saying lets build via free agency.

No argument over how good Mack is, and what he'd bring to any team. But when you're talking the highest paid defensive player in the NFL, there is a big picture.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is a fan's viewpoint, and there is a GM's. We fans don't care about anything except adding the top free agents. Any GM in the NFL needs to MANAGE the team now and near future.

For example, next season Buckner will get a huge contract too.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, so you're saying lets build via free agency.

No argument over how good Mack is, and what he'd bring to any team. But when you're talking the highest paid defensive player in the NFL, there is a big picture.

not entirely but guys like Mack don't become available very often and it really isn't free agency because Mack was never on the open market able to pick his spot. Even with signing him the 49ers still would have had room to resign Buckner next year. I'll say picking up a guy like Mack is a good move even with having to trade two first rounders and a third, then signing him to a huge deal. The chance at getting the pass rusher you need to really make the defense go is worth about anything it takes because they are likely going to be moving those same two first round picks to get up high enough to get the kind of impact DE they need unless they take a step back and finish in the top 5.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SF is currently sitting in the third best cap situation, and that's including paying near top dollar for a QB. They could easily absorb the cap hit with Macks current contract, and in fact, I would say it would be a good move. I believe Jimmy Garoppolo can cover a lot of so-called flaws on the offensive side by himself, and therefore it would be best served if they spent far more on the defensive side of the ball....just load up on talent on that side.

The Bears will only turn the corner if the QB does....Jacksonville is glaring proof of that, and examples to the contrary are more like lightning in a bottle.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SF is currently sitting in the third best cap situation, and that's including paying near top dollar for a QB. They could easily absorb the cap hit with Macks current contract, and in fact, I would say it would be a good move. I believe Jimmy Garoppolo can cover a lot of so-called flaws on the offensive side by himself, and therefore it would be best served if they spent far more on the defensive side of the ball....just load up on talent on that side.

The Bears will only turn the corner if the QB does....Jacksonville is glaring proof of that, and examples to the contrary are more like lightning in a bottle.

I don't think anyone expects this team to be picking in the top 5 probably some where between 10-15 maybe at little farther down but I have my doubts at least as it is currently constructed. So what will it take to move from 10-15 into the top 5 to get one of next years elite rookie DE's that are the kind of pass rusher this team needs? I'm guessing at least a 1st and a 2nd probably two firsts so they are likely moving those picks anyway for an untested player that could bust at the NFL level.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what the 49ers were willing trade for Mack? Chicago gave away two firsts but that is what Chicago agreed to. I wonder if there was a bidding war between the 49ers and Chicago what it would have taken to land him.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what will it take to move from 10-15 into the top 5 to get one of next years elite rookie DE's that are the kind of pass rusher this team needs? I'm guessing at least a 1st and a 2nd probably two firsts so they are likely moving those picks anyway for an untested player that could bust at the NFL level.

Exactly. In that scenario, and if they trade up for an edge rusher, you're giving up major compenstation for the 'chance' to draft a 'prospect.' You're bordering on impossible in getting someone the equal of Khalil Mack with that scenario. The money? Given the absolute talent you're getting, I'd almost consider it monopoly money.....almost meaningless.

Hopefully SF can work the draft or dare say sit right where there at and hopefully land a great future pass rusher....given that the 2019 draft is said to have a lot of good prospects.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If true, a very childish move by Gruden.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
not entirely but guys like Mack don't become available very often and it really isn't free agency because Mack was never on the open market able to pick his spot. Even with signing him the 49ers still would have had room to resign Buckner next year. I'll say picking up a guy like Mack is a good move even with having to trade two first rounders and a third, then signing him to a huge deal. The chance at getting the pass rusher you need to really make the defense go is worth about anything it takes because they are likely going to be moving those same two first round picks to get up high enough to get the kind of impact DE they need unless they take a step back and finish in the top 5.

Ok. No argument on the value of a pass rusher, and no argument on Mack, but i don't like building via free agency OR trades. This is a mega-deal in the fullest sense, not any 'ol trade.

I wasn't adamant against Mack prior, but i was saying "can't see it happening"?

Anyway, Mack is gone and we move on.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. No argument on the value of a pass rusher, and no argument on Mack, but i don't like building via free agency OR trades. This is a mega-deal in the fullest sense, not any 'ol trade.

I wasn't adamant against Mack prior, but i was saying "can't see it happening"?

Anyway, Mack is gone and we move on.

What will you're reaction be if the Niners trade two firsts to move up and draft a top pass rusher in the top 5 of the 2019 draft and then pay him at least 7.5 million a year over four years (probably more based on salary cap increase next year). That is still a lot of money for a guy you don't if he'll pan out vs a star player you know can preform even if the cap hit is 23.5 million a year on average.