• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Machado machinations

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sox sign John Jay, Machado's workout partner. They bring in Yonder Alonso, Machado's brother in law. Just sayin'

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It SEEMS like it's either us or the Yankees, with us now taking the lead position. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I used to think it was Harper we were pursuing harder. Now it appears to be Machado. Perhaps we lost faith in being able to sign Harper. I don't know... I get a feeling we'll land one still.

I really don't get caught up in the whole "fuck Machado - never want him" thing. He's gotten into some shit with opponents and has had questionable behavior in that regard. However is he actually a bad teammate? Is that confirmed? I don't know. Even so, he could just need to find his right fit. All his boys would be here. Hard for him to be unhappy.

The dude is phenomenal and if he produces like he has in recent years for a long time on the southside - he can get into a spat here and there with opposing teams for all I care.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I used to think it was Harper we were pursuing harder. Now it appears to be Machado. Perhaps we lost faith in being able to sign Harper. I don't know... I get a feeling we'll land one still.
You may recall that I was on record (and still am) that I thought neither player is worth the $$$ it's going to take to sign. But for a number of reasons, if the Sox are indeed set on signing one of them, Machado is my choice. Cannot stand his smug attitude, but the man can definitely play ball.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sox sign John Jay, Machado's workout partner. They bring in Yonder Alonso, Machado's brother in law. Just sayin'
I hope it all works out. Hahn will look like an assclown if Manny goes to Philly or NYY.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may recall that I was on record (and still am) that I thought neither player is worth the $$$ it's going to take to sign. But for a number of reasons, if the Sox are indeed set on signing one of them, Machado is my choice. Cannot stand his smug attitude, but the man can definitely play ball.
Sox need to make a splash. They drew roughly 20k per game last year, lowest number since 1999. Incrementally losing market share in Chicago as of late combined with a 100 loss 2018 means a facelift is needed ASAP. Having a 26 year old perennial all star would be refreshing. Plus, an all star vet needs to be in the mix with all the young dudes as the final piece.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You need that superstar. That stud in the middle of your lineup. Not to mention, he's also a very good infielder. Those don't come cheap.

And like has been mentioned... the White Sox need a splash. Fans are losing interest and it's getting hard to sell the "just wait a little longer!" bit. This light at the end of the tunnel which has been promised seems no closer than it did a couple of years back when the rebuild first started.

Last year was not supposed to net a post-season birth. However, it was supposed to demonstrate progress. We saw a little... but not enough to please the majority of the fan-base. Overall as a team, they actually saw regression losing 100 ball games.

Something needs to happen... fan patience is slowly eroding. You can feel the fear beginning of "what if this never comes together?" Now, I believe it will. However, if I said that I wasn't getting SLIGHTLY anxious? I'd be lying. Especially after the Kopech injury and Yoan's stagnant progress.

If we can't net Harper or Machado. The White Sox better damn well get on their knees and pray that Eloy is the stud everyone (including myself) thinks he is. Him struggling this season is a road we do not want to go down.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sox need to make a splash. They drew roughly 20k per game last year, lowest number since 1999. Incrementally losing market share in Chicago as of late combined with a 100 loss 2018 means a facelift is needed ASAP. Having a 26 year old perennial all star would be refreshing. Plus, an all star vet needs to be in the mix with all the young dudes as the final piece.

You need that superstar. That stud in the middle of your lineup. Not to mention, he's also a very good infielder. Those don't come cheap.

And like has been mentioned... the White Sox need a splash. Fans are losing interest and it's getting hard to sell the "just wait a little longer!" bit. This light at the end of the tunnel which has been promised seems no closer than it did a couple of years back when the rebuild first started.

Last year was not supposed to net a post-season birth. However, it was supposed to demonstrate progress. We saw a little... but not enough to please the majority of the fan-base. Overall as a team, they actually saw regression losing 100 ball games.

Something needs to happen... fan patience is slowly eroding. You can feel the fear beginning of "what if this never comes together?" Now, I believe it will. However, if I said that I wasn't getting SLIGHTLY anxious? I'd be lying. Especially after the Kopech injury and Yoan's stagnant progress.

If we can't net Harper or Machado. The White Sox better damn well get on their knees and pray that Eloy is the stud everyone (including myself) thinks he is. Him struggling this season is a road we do not want to go down.

I'm with you guys. My hope tho was that we'd sit out one more year from going after the big guns, then make a pitch for some of the top names from the free agent class of 2019. But I agree, the Sox faithful are losing that faith and I more than understand why we could and should bust a move this year.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you guys. My hope tho was that we'd sit out one more year from going after the big guns, then make a pitch for some of the top names from the free agent class of 2019. But I agree, the Sox faithful are losing that faith and I more than understand why we could and should bust a move this year.
I think the Sox wish it was a slightly later window too. I think they believe, and rightly so in my opinion, that Machado is worth the odd timing to offer the most lucrative contract in team history. The report of Moustakas being a fallback is underwhelming to me and I hope false. I'd rather they not sign a guy if they miss out on Machado. Burger is coming back and Moncada needs to play there to make room for Madrigal, who is going to be a million times better than Moncada in my opinion. Lastly, I don't think Anderson should lose his starting SS spot even if they sign Machado. Anderson first Sox SS with a 20 HR, 20 SB season, which came last year.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Amen brotha

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Sox wish it was a slightly later window too. I think they believe, and rightly so in my opinion, that Machado is worth the odd timing to offer the most lucrative contract in team history. The report of Moustakas being a fallback is underwhelming to me and I hope false. I'd rather they not sign a guy if they miss out on Machado. Burger is coming back and Moncada needs to play there to make room for Madrigal, who is going to be a million times better than Moncada in my opinion. Lastly, I don't think Anderson should lose his starting SS spot even if they sign Machado. Anderson first Sox SS with a 20 HR, 20 SB season, which came last year.
Agreed about Moustakis, altho I'd be ok with a one year signing, assuming of course they miss out on Machado. But my take has been all along to hold out and try to sign Arenado, who to me is the best of the bunch. Again tho, if we do indeed sign Machado, I immediately become his #1 fan. As was the saying for when the Bulls signed Dennis rodman back in the 90's, "He may be an asshole, but he's OUR asshole."

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed about Moustakis, altho I'd be ok with a one year signing, assuming of course they miss out on Machado. But my take has been all along to hold out and try to sign Arenado, who to me is the best of the bunch. Again tho, if we do indeed sign Machado, I immediately become his #1 fan. As was the saying for when the Bulls signed Dennis rodman back in the 90's, "He may be an asshole, but he's OUR asshole."
download.jpg

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way I let Arenado get to free agency if I'm CO.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heyman said Machado camp looking for something north of $325MM, edging out Stanton's contract.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heyman said Machado camp looking for something north of $325MM, edging out Stanton's contract.
If that's true, and I have no reason to suggest otherwise, then I'd be mildly shocked beyond belief that the Sox end of signing him. Well, unless that is they put in some kind of opt-out clause that would allow either party to bail say after 4 years or so.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's true, and I have no reason to suggest otherwise, then I'd be mildly shocked beyond belief that the Sox end of signing him. Well, unless that is they put in some kind of opt-out clause that would allow either party to bail say after 4 years or so.
I would think any contract Machado gets has one or even two opt outs depending on length. I don't believe Machado gets $325MM. He might top out at $300MM. Sox would look to defer and pad with incentive bonuses. I haven't seen any numbers for the new TV deal windfall for the team, but hopefully it's enough to make Jerry offer something competitive. They don't need to offer more than Philly, just as much or even maybe $5 or so MM less since the Sox have practically signed everyone other than his auto mechanic.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was damn close to mentioning AJ as a comparison in my initial reply to this thread.

I think their personalities are extremely different, though. As I think AJ's offenses against other teams were usually derived from his extremely competitive nature. Which is more admirable (generally speaking) than someone like Machado - whose reputation is more of a prima donna.

Regardless, the comparison is valid - Machado would instantly be loved here. Despite many White Sox fans not liking him to this point his career.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Machado would instantly be loved here. Despite many White Sox fans not liking him to this point his career.
Sox fans have always embraced newcomers and stay loyal to them until they are no longer playing for the Sox - even the ones with less-than-great reputations. So I agree, Manny would get far and away the loudest ovation the first time he steps to the plate as a member of this ballclub. And he would immediately become the team's star.