• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking for SportsHoopla Gardeners

basement bias

FlyingWolver9er
Pleasant Mills/Rivare(Bobo) IN/Willshire/Wren OH
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never really got into the whole garden SportsHoopla, but I believe it is time I start. My parents would put out a pretty good sized garden and bought plants. I would help dig, plant, and water. However, I never really liked it as I hardly ate anything from it. The same would probably still apply, but the garden wouldn't really be for me, but my growing family. What tips do you have for this rookie? My parents and brother will likely do their garden again, but I'd like to plant specific items they won't.

Nod4Eight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.26
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you looking to grow? You're in the upper midwest, correct (do you know what zone?) How much land or space do you have to work with?

Wunder.Noid

All your trophies are belong to Bama
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to go wrong with a small raised garden. If you're new to it start small and learn your lessons without tons of work. Good luck!

basement bias

FlyingWolver9er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you looking to grow? You're in the upper midwest, correct (do you know what zone?) How much land or space do you have to work with?

Small area at my wife's house and a small couple areas at the house I own most likely. Probably tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and maybe some peppers in one. The others maybe carrots, peas, green beans, and etc. Have to get a game plan with my cousin who lives in the house I own. We each will have 5 kids come July. Both of us will have 2 children with us full time and 3 stepchildren half of the time. My parents & brother will do their big garden. Have to see if my other cousin is doing a garden and wants to join forces with us (he has 4 kids, 2 he has full time and 2 half of the time).

Nod4Eight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.26
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Small area at my wife's house and a small couple areas at the house I own most likely. Probably tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and maybe some peppers in one. The others maybe carrots, peas, green beans, and etc. Have to get a game plan with my cousin who lives in the house I own. We each will have 5 kids come July. Both of us will have 2 children with us full time and 3 stepchildren half of the time. My parents & brother will do their big garden. Have to see if my other cousin is doing a garden and wants to join forces with us (he has 4 kids, 2 he has full time and 2 half of the time).
Your choices are generally pretty easy to grow. I'd suggest finding a way to keep/store some, because you will have produce coming out your ears in the spring summer, but come fall it's gone. Canning, freezing, drying etc, but that can come with time. Are you planning on starting from seed or getting starts? Do you plan on keeping seeds from your garden this year for next year?

basement bias

FlyingWolver9er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your choices are generally pretty easy to grow. I'd suggest finding a way to keep/store some, because you will have produce coming out your ears in the spring summer, but come fall it's gone. Canning, freezing, drying etc, but that can come with time. Are you planning on starting from seed or getting starts? Do you plan on keeping seeds from your garden this year for next year?

Probably starts, but maybe I'll try a few seeds. I'd like to keep seeds from this coming year for the following.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never really got into the whole garden SportsHoopla, but I believe it is time I start. My parents would put out a pretty good sized garden and bought plants. I would help dig, plant, and water. However, I never really liked it as I hardly ate anything from it. The same would probably still apply, but the garden wouldn't really be for me, but my growing family. What tips do you have for this rookie? My parents and brother will likely do their garden again, but I'd like to plant specific items they won't.
Soaker hoses for watering.

I also use weed block fabric, and cut holes for the plants. Keeps my weeding down.

Nod4Eight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.26
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably starts, but maybe I'll try a few seeds. I'd like to keep seeds from this coming year for the following.
Starts will def be easier, especially for newby. If you want to try seeds, start peas inside within the next few weeks. They can stay indoors for about 3 weeks before you have to transplant them - but they are cold hardy. Carrots will need to be seed started outdoors. Maters and peppers and cukes - get them in a 6 pack. Zucchini are easy to start in seeds in the ground later - they grow quick.
Make sure your ground is well tilled and nutrient rich. Till in old grass clippings or leaves (better to compost them first, but a little late for that). The soaker hose is a good idea, tomatoes especially don't like getting their leaves wet. Wait till the ground is almost dry between waterings. A few long waterings is better than many short waterings. Good luck, hit me up if you have questions.

basement bias

FlyingWolver9er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starts will def be easier, especially for newby. If you want to try seeds, start peas inside within the next few weeks. They can stay indoors for about 3 weeks before you have to transplant them - but they are cold hardy. Carrots will need to be seed started outdoors. Maters and peppers and cukes - get them in a 6 pack. Zucchini are easy to start in seeds in the ground later - they grow quick.
Make sure your ground is well tilled and nutrient rich. Till in old grass clippings or leaves (better to compost them first, but a little late for that). The soaker hose is a good idea, tomatoes especially don't like getting their leaves wet. Wait till the ground is almost dry between waterings. A few long waterings is better than many short waterings. Good luck, hit me up if you have questions.

Thanks, I will definitely ask some questions. I'm not a total newbie, but I don't know all the tricks. I see companion planting and do this or that on sites.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we learned from The Martian that human shit is a good fertilizer, so you should shit in your garden as much as possible.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy things to grow and are pretty good to eat are radishes, beets, carrots and lettuce. Tomatoes take up more space and I would just do them in a pot. If you buy a little trellis, snow peas and snap peas are fun. I don't find peppers worth my time, you spend all year growing 5$ worth of peppers.

Nod4Eight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.26
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, I will definitely ask some questions. I'm not a total newbie, but I don't know all the tricks. I see companion planting and do this or that on sites.
Companion works well if you need it to. Sounds like you have enough room to not need to. Feel free to PM me with questions.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Read up on companion planting. Some plants inhibit the growth of others, and some plants are beneficial to others. Consider planting zinnias or marigolds among your vegetables to help keep certain insect pests away.