• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking at the starting rosters - what position corps are 49ers better than Ravens?

What position corps (starters) are the 49ers better than the Ravens?

• Total voters

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can choose more than 1

QB
RB
WR and TE
OL

DL
LB
DB

K
P
Ret

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with brendon with all but QB. Flacco has been on fire all playoffs. Kaep is more athletic, but I just think Flacco has been playing better lately.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO 49ers are better at:
RB
TE
OG
T
C

DT/DE (not at NT)
ILB
OLB
CB
SS

P

I give the edge to Flacco at QB since he is more experienced. RB is tough, but the 49ers have more depth there and I'd still take Gore over Rice just barely. DT/DE is close, but I still like the Niners there.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This seems like as good a thread as any to post this in. From the Mercury News:

Rice has traits similar to Stephen Jackson and Marshawn Lynch, running backs who broke 100 yards on the 49ers this season. He also is a better and more dangerous receiver than Gore, with 61 regular-season receptions.

He does? What traits are those? He's human? He's male? He plays RB in the NFL? Cause as RBs go, I'm not seeing striking similarities. Lynch and Jackson are big, physical backs. Rice packs a punch for a guy his size, but he is FAR smaller and less physical than those guys. I suppose you could say any two RBs share similar traits, but that comment was a real head scratcher for me.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wr/Te
OL ~ push

DL
LB
DB

P

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems like as good a thread as any to post this in. From the Mercury News:

Rice has traits similar to Stephen Jackson and Marshawn Lynch, running backs who broke 100 yards on the 49ers this season. He also is a better and more dangerous receiver than Gore, with 61 regular-season receptions.

He does? What traits are those? He's human? He's male? He plays RB in the NFL? Cause as RBs go, I'm not seeing striking similarities. Lynch and Jackson are big, physical backs. Rice packs a punch for a guy his size, but he is FAR smaller and less physical than those guys. I suppose you could say any two RBs share similar traits, but that comment was a real head scratcher for me.

I agree. I actually think SJ and ML resemble Gore more than Rice. I enjoy watching Rice because he has that punch for the size he is.

Rice is a nice north and south runner. I wouldn't call him a bruiser at all. I don't think he plows over defenders a lot, just knows how to use his center of balance to get extra yards and is hard to bring down.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Guess I could post the link to the entire article. Can't agree with several of these.

Super Bowl 2013: Breaking down the 49ers-Ravens advantages - San Jose Mercury News

Lewis over Willis is kind of ridiculous IMO. He has had a great career, is still playing at a high level, and his effect on the team as a whole is significant. But he's nowhere near the player on the field that Willis is. Willis can cover top TEs - granted they'll still make some plays - and can play the running game more effectively. He's a much better all-around player at this point. That's no knock on Lewis. Patrick is just in his prime as one of the top LBs in the league.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lewis is gonna need a lot more deer antlers to top willis

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
@PFF

Ray Rice forced 42 missed tackles this year (inc playoffs). On 243 fewer touches Bernard Pierce has forced 33

Gore > Pierce > Rice > James which is why I feel Balt has the better tandem back combination, but if we still had Hunter, it'd be a different story.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vernon Davis vs. Dennis Pitta

Davis re-emerged with five receptions for 106 yards and a touchdown against the Falcons, but for long stretches has been a forgotten man in the 49ers' passing game whether the quarterback was Alex Smith or Colin Kaepernick. Pitta, with 61 regular-season receptions, has become a go-to receiver for Flacco when locating open areas in the middle of the field.

Edge: Ravens

Davis is the physically superior player and more liable to break a game open, but with Bernard Pollard at strong safety, expect Kaepernick to look elsewhere as he has done most of the season.

Frankly, this is the dumbest comparison I've ever seen. Big advantage for the 9ers here. Not even close. Anybody with a pulse can see that.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going by the 20 votes so far

QB: Ravens
RB: 49ers
WR/TE: Ravens
OL: 49ers
DL: 49ers
LB: 49ers
DB: 49ers
K: Ravens
P: 49ers
Ret: Ravens

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Vernon Davis vs. Dennis Pitta

Davis re-emerged with five receptions for 106 yards and a touchdown against the Falcons, but for long stretches has been a forgotten man in the 49ers' passing game whether the quarterback was Alex Smith or Colin Kaepernick. Pitta, with 61 regular-season receptions, has become a go-to receiver for Flacco when locating open areas in the middle of the field.

Edge: Ravens

Davis is the physically superior player and more liable to break a game open, but with Bernard Pollard at strong safety, expect Kaepernick to look elsewhere as he has done most of the season.

Frankly, this is the dumbest comparison I've ever seen. Big advantage for the 9ers here. Not even close. Anybody with a pulse can see that.

because he's basing it off recent results (ie stats), not potential results.
potentially, Davis is clearly more dangerous cause he can run down field FAST......once he catches it. the 9ers use him on longer, more straight routes, so when he does catch it, it is usually a big play.

if you want a TE finding those shorter/medium areas, and extending drives, Pitta does it for the Ravens.

in this particular game, Pitta IMO is the next guy we have to contain following Ray Rice. he isn't a close second to Rice so don't want to exaggerate, but the guy i'd think will extend their drives?

on the other hand, Davis should get some big plays? cause the LB's will think run first, letting Davis get behind them.