• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking at some defenses vs positions 4 weeks in

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night I was able to look up three teams vs teams they play the first four weeks to see how their defense has faired vs the run, receiving backs, number one, two, etc. receivers, TE. I'm going by division winners last year first, followed by second place teams, so on. I looked at NE(two of the games I watched), Dallas(watched some), and Pittsburgh(watched all four).

New England.......although NE stopped Kelce week 1, they have not been as good against TEs as Fleener and Griffin were able to get in the endzone against them. Ty Hill wrecked havoc on them because they were busy with Kelce, but also limited his big play early until Hunt became a problem in the receiving. Thomas on the other caught only half his targets week 2, which shows NE definitely limited him, although saints offensive line and poor playcalling contributed as well. Brandon Coleman as a result got open in the endzone and caught six of eight passes. Coleman appeared to act as the other wide-out opposite Thomas, with Ginn being in the slot who contributed little. The saints offense was complicated early on though as they will not play well unless they are leading and the defense is giving them breaks. Hopkins for the texans did not score but got the yards. Instead, the number two receiver that week, Ellington, scored. The texans appear to be running a timeshare at back, but Foreman was productive in the passing game. I did not assess Carolina. As for the running game, they can't stop it so far. KC was successful, but NO and Houston's backfields are complicated. TEs, RBs in less complicated backfields and who can especially catch, and number two receivers benefit the most. There is exceptions when it comes to level of line play.

Dallas.....Dallas's defense has taken a step back, but they are still taking away the number one receiver in most cases. Dallas took away Marshall, Jaron Brown's big play ability, Watkins, and tried to take away DT. In the latter case, Denver had Sanders, which would open things up for DT. DT was the one kept out of the endzone, but Sanders had his way in that department. Their defense against TEs have not been tested as they have not played any notable ones yet(except Engram, who hasn't showed something yet). Kupp and Fitz had their games from the slot, but the other two slot receivers are either not used much or hindered by poor QB/oline play(Eli, giants). As for the run, only the giants and cards have done little, but CJ, even Charles in a limited capacity, and Gurley have all scored. The run game(on certain teams), the number two and slot receivers(depending on order really) benefit so far with TE tbt.

Pittsburgh....On the road, they are a different defense usually, but no so far. They have limited Crowell and Baltimore's running game(which has no one relevant), but got burned by Howard. Cook still had 64 yards on the road against them which is not bad for a team with poor QB play and a team that can stop the run at home. Timeshares won't beat them, and RBs that are not elite won't either. Howard is the only elite back they have played so far. They have only played Cohen among good receiving backs and those utilized well. Their defense against receivers is all over the place as the vikings, browns, and bears receivers struggled. Wallace was targeted ten times and scored against them but Baltimore appears to have some oline issues as well. It would appear they are holding down the number one option in most cases but QB play is hindering this. Their defense against TEs is also debatable as they have only played Rudolph among anyone that has any substance, and Rudolph had the most yards of everyone in that game receiving wise. Elite RBs period and number two receiving options benefit but it's complicated based on the first four teams they played.

The other teams I bring up, when I have the chance, will only be based on the last four weeks upon examining them. I decided not to examine TB because the KC game was exciting and needed to be looked at.