• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking at Bears depth for clues as to who they will draft

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pos No. Player 1 No Player 2 No Player 3 No Player 4 No Player 5
OFFENSE
LWR 19 ROYAL, EDDIE U/SD 81 Meredith, Cameron CF15 14 Thompson, Deonte SF15 10 Wilson, Marquess 13/7 83 Braverman, Daniel 16/7
RWR 13 White, Kevin 15/1 00 Wright, Kendall U/Ten 11 Bellamy, Josh W/Was 45 Addison, Bralon CF16 18 Anderson, Dres SF16
SWR 00 Wheaton, Markus U/Pit 00 Randle, Rueben SF17
LT 72 Leno, Charles 14/7 71 Adams, Mike SF16 71 Becton, Nick SF15
LG 71 SITTON, JOSH SF16 73 Richardson, Cyril SF16
C 65 Whitehair, Cody 16/2 55 Grasu, Hroniss 15/3
RG 75 Long, Kyle 13/1 64 Kush, Eric W/LA 60 Edison, Cornelius CF15
RT 70 Massie, Bobby U/Arz 68 McCants, Matt W/Cle 78 Poehls, William SF16
TE 86 MILLER, ZACH SF14 00 Sims, Dion U/Mia 43 Braunecker, Ben CF16 85 Brown, Daniel W/Bal 80 Pruitt, MyCole P/Min
TE 87 Perillo, Justin SF16
QB 00 Glennon, Mike U/TB 9 Fales, David P/Bal 8 Shaw, Connor W/Cle
RB 24 Howard, Jordan 16/5 33 Langford, Jeremy 15/4 25 Carey, Ka'Deem 14/4 43 Cobb, David SF16
FB 47 Lasike, Paul SF15
DEFENSE
DE 96 Hicks, Akiem U/NE 00 Lewis-Moore, Kapron SF17
NT 91 Goldman, Eddie 15/2 93 Sutton, Will 14/3 69 Wilson, CJ SF16
DE 98 Unrein, Mitch SF15 74 Bullard, Jonathan 16/3 95 Ferguson, Ego 14/2
LOLB 92 McPhee, Pernell U/Bal 94 Floyd, Leonard 16/1 43 Mason, Danny SF15
LILB 44 Kwiatkoski, Nick 16/4 53 Timu, John CF15
RILB 59 Trevathan, Danny U/Den 52 Jones, Christian CF14 58 Anderson, Jonathan CF15 50 FREEMAN, JERRELL U/Ind
ROLB 99 Houston, Lamarr U/Oak 97 YOUNG, WILLIE U/Det 49 Acho, Sam U/Arz
LCB 21 PORTER, TRACY SF15 00 Amukamara, Prince U/Jax 27 McManis, Sherrick 10/5 39 Banks, Johnthan W/Det 22 Boykin, Brandon SF16
LCB 20 Bausby, De'Vante SF15
SS 00 DEMPS, QUINTIN U/Hou 29 Jones-Quartey, Harold W/Arz 26 Bush, Deon 16/4 30 Hurst, Demontre CF13
FS 38 Amos, Adrian 15/5 31 Prosinski, Chris SF15 36 Houston-Carson, DeAndre 16/6
RCB 23 Fuller, Kyle 14/1 37 Callahan, Bryce CF15 32 Hall, Deiondre` 16/4 22 LeBlanc, Cre'von W/NE 39 Glenn, Jacoby CF15
RCB 43 Reynolds, Rashaad SF16

There are still a few issues on this depth chart, like Royal probably won't be back, but it's a good starting point. We can look at it in conjunction with the signings we have made so far to see which way they might go in the draft. We pretty much signed stop gap guys across the board. Not one of the signings is necessarily guaranteed to be starter come day 1 (except Glennon). We still need a stud corner, safety, QB, WR, and T to really compete.

This draft probably won't have any top 5 pick talents at CB, WR, or T. Trading down is an option, but trading down is difficult to do if there isn't a prospect that warrants the trade. My best guess is those prospects will be off the board when we pick. Therefore, I could see us taking Hooker or Adams first. We might even grab another pass rushing DE that will make things easier on our secondary as a whole. However, I think the bears are going to take a shot at QB. Reports have it that Pace likes Kaaya a lot, but I also think there is a lot of smoke screen being thrown around. I could see the bears going Watson or Trubisky first. I'm leaning towards Watson. We may even pull a Washington Redskins and pick Watson in the first and Kaaya in the third/fourth. We can then use the second and third picks on defense, taking the BPA at each position of need.

I used to be dead set against Watson, but the more I think of it, the more I realize that he is a very good QB. I understand he threw some picks in college, but other than that, I can't see one more thing that he could've done in college that would've improved his resume for the NFL. He torched the most pro ready defense when it mattered most two times, putting up 40+ points. His leadership, athleticism, and football IQ are off the charts. And we are in a position to place him on the bench to learn for at least a year and up to three years. Early first round Rookie QBs usually sign a 4 year deal. Glennons deal is only three with the ability to opt out after 1. His contract looks like that of someone who is going to mentor a rookie QB. I absolutely believe that Pace is planning on taking Watson this year. And I honestly believe he could be the best pick for the bears there this offseason.

Watson is a guy who can learn quickly. He is getting his degree after three years and playing football (which takes up a lot of his time). This tells me he can learn a lot faster than most. Give him a year to learn the ins and outs of the NFL, and we could have the next up and coming superstar QB. I would be exstatic if we go him at 3. Trubisky looks like a good prospect, but I don't think he even gets three years as a starter before teams realize he's a back up or worse. I wouldn't mind us taking Adams or Hooker either, but if we got Watson, I would be very excited for the future of this team.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears will not take Watson. I'd bet my life on it.

Pace has said many, many times that he is a proponent of draft best player available. Which will likely be Jonathan Allen. Watson would be a huge reach at #3. He is currently projected to fall out of the top ten in quite a few mocks. In any other QB class, he'd fall out of the top 20 probably.

Something worth noting... The Bears announced that Eddie Royal will be released, as soon as he can pass a physical.

My guess is Allen at #3, and since you can get a 1st round caliber corner easily in this class in the second round. I expect us to go corner at #36 overall. This DB class is stacked.

Then, I also expect us to take a QB day 2 or 3. I think Kaaya in the 3rd possibly, if he's there. If he's not, we may wait until day 3. I expect us also to take a WR, and a OT or two as well.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TLDR

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears will not take Watson. I'd bet my life on it.

Pace has said many, many times that he is a proponent of draft best player available. Which will likely be Jonathan Allen. Watson would be a huge reach at #3. He is currently projected to fall out of the top ten in quite a few mocks. In any other QB class, he'd fall out of the top 20 probably.

Something worth noting... The Bears announced that Eddie Royal will be released, as soon as he can pass a physical.

My guess is Allen at #3, and since you can get a 1st round caliber corner easily in this class in the second round. I expect us to go corner at #36 overall. This DB class is stacked.

Then, I also expect us to take a QB day 2 or 3. I think Kaaya in the 3rd possibly, if he's there. If he's not, we may wait until day 3. I expect us also to take a WR, and a OT or two as well.
I used to think that. The moves the bears are making are leaning towards a QB early though. I'm not so sure Allen will be there either, unless his shoulder issues are real warning signs. In that case, why take the risk.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to think that. The moves the bears are making are leaning towards a QB early though. I'm not so sure Allen will be there either, unless his shoulder issues are real warning signs. In that case, why take the risk.

Name one move that lends itself to the Bears taking a QB in the first. There has not been one that remotely hints at it. For the record, I'm also not saying the Glennon signing means we aren't. However, the seriousness with which the organization seems to take his signing, makes it pretty clear we're giving him a shot to be THE guy in this upcoming season.

There's certainly NOTHING that shows them "leaning" towards taking a QB early. I've read your posts on Watson lately, and you seem to have a huge confirmation bias towards him being our #3 pick. You're looking for dots to connect that lead to this conclusion.

You just want Watson, and that's fine. Just try to realize that it's not happening. Pace doesn't reach, and won't start now at the most important position in the game.

Why will Allen be there? Well... pretty obvious Garrett is going #1, and it's also obvious that Shannahan wants a QB to mold in SF. (Hell, they might take Watson) If they don't do that, most other mocks have them taking Soloman Thomas, DE. A lot of mocks have us taking Allen dude.

Allen is widely considered a slam dunk prospect. No one considers him a risk. If he's there, I think we take him. If not, I put QB pretty far down on the list of positions we'd look to next. As Pace would simply take the next most promising player. None of which are QB's.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name one move that lends itself to the Bears taking a QB in the first.

Trading down.

I get your Watson analysis, but some think he will be the first taken on draft day. (later in the first)

I would still love them to trade down and get two tackles. The one logical pick to trade down is New Orleans, Paces buddies, who have 11 and 32, but 32 is probably too low to get the second best tackle. Tennessee already traded up to 5 and own 18 as well. Otherwise it would be someone in the 15-25 range trading to get another one in that range while keeping theirs, so it would be their next first or two seconds to grab that pick and then they move up to 3.

I also realize a DT or NT's legitimate NFL career is 3 years, but right now Eddie is our BPA, so I really dont want to see them taking a tackle to be a backup unless there is concern with the knee.

I know its early, but if we keep 3 we need a stud CB and need to send Porter out to pasture.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading down.

I get your Watson analysis, but some think he will be the first taken on draft day. (later in the first)

I would still love them to trade down and get two tackles. The one logical pick to trade down is New Orleans, Paces buddies, who have 11 and 32, but 32 is probably too low to get the second best tackle. Tennessee already traded up to 5 and own 18 as well. Otherwise it would be someone in the 15-25 range trading to get another one in that range while keeping theirs, so it would be their next first or two seconds to grab that pick and then they move up to 3.

I also realize a DT or NT's legitimate NFL career is 3 years, but right now Eddie is our BPA, so I really dont want to see them taking a tackle to be a backup unless there is concern with the knee.

I know its early, but if we keep 3 we need a stud CB and need to send Porter out to pasture.

I almost mentioned trading down as a possible way it could happen, but again... I think we're committed to giving Glennon a shot to be the guy this year.

I've talked about trading down since the moment we were locked into the #3 pick. So, I'm game.

I'd love a couple of tackles too, (preferably a OT and a CB) but you know the problem with that? Horrible draft class for OT's. Lol... of course, the year we have the #3 pick. It's a horrible draft class for tackles and QB's. The foundation of an offense.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost mentioned trading down as a possible way it could happen, but again... I think we're committed to giving Glennon a shot to be the guy this year.

I've talked about trading down since the moment we were locked into the #3 pick. So, I'm game.

I'd love a couple of tackles too, (preferably a OT and a CB) but you know the problem with that? Horrible draft class for OT's. Lol... of course, the year we have the #3 pick. It's a horrible draft class for tackles and QB's. The foundation of an offense.
I think so as well, but don't be fooled into thinking we aren't looking to draft his replacement. He will get a shot to show what he's got, but Pace brought him in to be a stop gap. If he turns into Drew Brees in the process, great. But Pace is still looking for someone to be molded into a superstar QB.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richi said a couple of things that are very insightful:

1. Pace does not reach in the draft
2. We will not take Watson/ Bears won't go QB in round 1

I agree completely. Pace is almost robotic in his drafting. He puts a hell of alot of preparation and research into the draft and will not waver. He will certainly take the best talent at that spot. This is what i admire most about Pace, the guy is certainly not lazy.

Boy do i hope we don't take Watson because Watson will be a major bust. Trubisky is the only one that's worth anything and has the highest ceiling but even he would be a reach at 3.

However, I am no longer certain Allen will be our pick. Before combines, i was screaming Allen or Garett. But Allen had a very mediocre combines and his shoulder is apparently a bigger issue than advertised. Which is a real shame. So I can no longer endorse Allen and am leaning towards trading down or Pace going with safety Jamal Adams who killed it at the combines.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richi said a couple of things that are very insightful:

1. Pace does not reach in the draft
2. We will not take Watson/ Bears won't go QB in round 1

I agree completely. Pace is almost robotic in his drafting. He puts a hell of alot of preparation and research into the draft and will not waver. He will certainly take the best talent at that spot. This is what i admire most about Pace, the guy is certainly not lazy.

Boy do i hope we don't take Watson because Watson will be a major bust. Trubisky is the only one that's worth anything and has the highest ceiling but even he would be a reach at 3.

However, I am no longer certain Allen will be our pick. Before combines, i was screaming Allen or Garett. But Allen had a very mediocre combines and his shoulder is apparently a bigger issue than advertised. Which is a real shame. So I can no longer endorse Allen and am leaning towards trading down or Pace going with safety Jamal Adams who killed it at the combines.

Yeah, after my post, I saw Allen dropped all the way to 17 in a couple mocks. I was pretty surprised, and also disappointed. I was excited at the prospect of drafting him. I thought he'd be the final piece in the puzzle for our front seven. I'm not usually crazy about safeties that early, but if Adams is the real deal. So be it.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think so as well, but don't be fooled into thinking we aren't looking to draft his replacement. He will get a shot to show what he's got, but Pace brought him in to be a stop gap. If he turns into Drew Brees in the process, great. But Pace is still looking for someone to be molded into a superstar QB.

The comparison for Glennon is Eli Manning. Conner Shaw is the guy whos game should be more like Drew Brees that alot of us have our eyes on. Glennon is getting a 5 million dollar bonus and his base is 8 million this year, with three more roster bonus of a million per season. If he works out he is a pretty cheap QB, if he does not, its pretty cheap to say goodbye. All number 8 has to do is not screw up too much and let the defense win ball games. Sounds like our last superbowl.

DaRelMelKia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago bears fought off a few teams to get Mike Glennon in the past summer free agency. Bears didnt want to be one of the teams fighting for a quarterback in the upcoming NFL daft.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago bears fought off a few teams to get Mike Glennon in the past summer free agency. Bears didnt want to be one of the teams fighting for a quarterback in the upcoming NFL daft.

I thought most of us believed he was bidding against himself. Which other teams? Not trying to argue, it just seems like Glennon is maybe looked at as the next McCown since he seems like a good team mate for a younger QB. There is nothing wrong with that when you get that McCown that understands his role as a backup is supporting the starter on sunday.

DaRelMelKia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought most of us believed he was bidding against himself. Which other teams? Not trying to argue, it just seems like Glennon is maybe looked at as the next McCown since he seems like a good team mate for a younger QB. There is nothing wrong with that when you get that McCown that understands his role as a backup is supporting the starter on sunday.[/
I thought most of us believed he was bidding against himself. Which other teams? Not trying to argue, it just seems like Glennon is maybe looked at as the next McCown since he seems like a good team mate for a younger QB. There is nothing wrong with that when you get that McCown that understands his role as a backup is supporting the starter on sunday.

What teams? They never said. I'm not sure the bears are looking at GLENNON as an McCOWN but more like an AARON RODGERS when he got his first start for green bay when BRET FAVRE RETIRED. IF THE BEARS DRAFTS AN PLAYER ON THE OFFENSIVE LINE IN THE FIRST ROUND, I'll believe it even more. CANN'T WAIT TO SEE

steve59

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did read somewhere other teams showed interest in glennon, dunno how much and I hope he's a bridge to a draft with better prospects at Q. The staff is in a bit of a jam no? the team needs to show improvement this season but also need a top 10 pick next year to get a decent player at that position. I wouldn't be surprised if the bears under Pace and Fox roll with Glennon and good defense all the way. Jake delhomme anyone.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as far as the roster is being set up, anyone picking below the bears cannot really pinpoint who the bears are after. Pace has made a huge effort of covering every position that was in need last season, and I am pretty sure we all know that a better secondary will allow more sacks. I dont think the term coverage sack was ever used to describe a bear sack. So teams like New Orleans with ties to Pace and need a D lineman will want to deal, teams that need secondary will want to deal, teams that think we are taking a QB will want to deal.

We dont know how good of a GM Pace will be, but he is getting this part right.

steve59

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How's the bears scouting staff? One of the things I never hear discussed is how much of bears resources are allocated to college prospects. Does Pace read the sunday paper? Does the team let the media and combine make their draft board? Angelo used to sat 1st round picks terrified him and he did like trading them, so is the bears recruiting staff nfl worthy or is it all on the GM to know who's who?