• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

lol @ Ryan’s New Contract

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m disgusted. How can lose that much AND make 100 M guaranteed?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Matt were the only one, I would agree, but it was always going to be more than Cousins and Garrappolo.

They were talking about the silly NBA money after that huge TV deal...this is pretty much the same for the NFL...Rodgers will be the next guy to raise the bar and it won't seem like a big deal because he's Aaron Rodgers, but maybe it'll level off for a while after that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Julio is reportedly not happy with his deal and that's why he missing OTAs.

6 WRs will make more than Julio in 2018

Mike Evans...$18.2

Larry Fitzgerald...$16.8

Jarvis Landry**...$15.5

DeAndre Hopkins...$14.0

AJ Green...$13.7

TY Hilton...$13.0

Julio Jones...$12.9

** New contract.

*** Antonio Brown has basically all of his remaining contract guaranteed via restructures but his 2018 salary is only $7.9 mil

Julio has '18 & '19 seasons remaining on his deal for $12.9 & 14.9 mil respectively. He's 29 y/o still in his prime, still a very productive player...certainly better than top 8.

The cons...he doesn't score many TDs, had a lot of drops LY, injuries adding up, he rarely plays an entire series without coming out.

Should Julio get paid?

I'm a big Julio fan, but I say no.

Julio is still a beast and imo top 3 in the league, but the Falcons have a lot of young DEF players coming up that will have to get paid.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Julio deserves it more than Ryan but his reoccurring foot injuries are becoming a concern.

Regarding Cousins and any and all other overpaid QB’s it doesn’t make feel any differently about Ryan.

The only question I have is can Ryan when Atlanta a Ring. I don’t think he can.

I figure Arthur just paid 100M for around 3 playoff wins.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Julio deserves it more than Ryan but his reoccurring foot injuries are becoming a concern.

Regarding Cousins and any and all other overpaid QB’s it doesn’t make feel any differently about Ryan.

The only question I have is can Ryan when Atlanta a Ring. I don’t think he can.

I figure Arthur just paid 100M for around 3 playoff wins.

Yeah I get it, but that's the 2018 NFL....there are only a handful of starting NFL QBs that you can say are NOT overpaid.

Julio is a beast, but he's 8th highest paid in the league...not 18th. Julio is the best talent on the 53 imo and if you can you want him to close out his career as a Falcon so you try to make it work.

The big challenge I see is they have Grady, Neal, Jones, Beasley and Campbell all coming due by the '19 season. Reworking JJ's contract could help with some cap relief, but as you mentioned the reoccurring foot problem makes that more risky to extend him much beyond the '19 season.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there’s an unhealthy trend in the NFL isn’t the path to a ring to buck that trend?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there’s an unhealthy trend in the NFL isn’t the path to a ring to buck that trend?

It seems like it's heading that way to bucking the trend.

I forgot the ex-player they had on sportstalk yesterday but he's basically recanting the star WR1 has not won a SB bid and they don't need Julio.

I know DQ knows the Seattle way and he's not going to lose his key DEF players to FA, but I think you need good players across the board. A great player can compensate a little, especially if that player is the QB, but you can't have many weaknesses on DEF and win a SB.

Sanu is making a lot too...if they bump JJ up, they might (probably will) lose Sanu, Ridley slides into WR2 on a rookie contract and hopefully develop another WR3.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet Ryan is looking forward to a great day of sofa sitting in front of his giant flat screen watching the NFL playoffs from the comfort of his fucking mansion with the warm fuzzy feeling that he earned every penny of it.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but I'm not getting the Ryan hate on here. He had a pretty decent season and led the Falcons to have a top 10 offense. The defense was pretty bad this year and not to mention, all of the injuries they had this year. I don't think the lack of success from the Falcons this year is on the Matt Ryan. I mean, he put up pretty similar numbers to his MVP season, it just wasn't enough to overcome the injuries and the bad defense.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team could’ve had the depth it needed if his mediocre ass didn’t swallow up the cap space. You take 30M you make the fucking playoffs. Fuck the excuses. You either win or you lose. He won the lottery. I’ll give him that.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team could’ve had the depth it needed if his mediocre ass didn’t swallow up the cap space. You take 30M you make the fucking playoffs. Fuck the excuses. You either win or you lose. He won the lottery. I’ll give him that.

You can have all the cap space you want but you simply can't plan or prepare to be okay after 8 guys go on the IR, including your starting RB and 3 guys from your secondary.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually that’s exactly what “depth” is and money buys depth.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually that’s exactly what “depth” is and money buys depth.

You guys had depth. How can you plan for 3 safeties going on the IR? Literally 1/2 of the safeties on your roster were on the IR.

You had a dual RB system with Freeman and Coleman. Freeman goes down, now you got Coleman and your 3rd string RB. 3rd string RB can only be so good, hence why he's a 3rd string and not a 1st or 2nd. Then your rookie RB goes down towards the end of the year.

Guards. You used money on Fusco who went down halfway through the season. Levitre went down in the beginning of the season and you had 2 healthy guards on your team.

No team can plan for that and no money can buy the kind of depth you guys needed to be competitive.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you? His agent or some shit?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you? His agent or some shit?

Whatever man. I'm actually giving you guys an out as to why you had a shit year instead of ripping the Falcons a new asshole and saying how much they suck, but if you don't wanna take it, that's fine.

Bottom line is, I don't think ANY team can plan, prepare or have that much depth for how many injuries you guys had this year. And if you have an issue with how much money he took up of ATL's cap this year, which was 17.7, you will DEFINITELY not like his contract next year, as the hit is almost 23 and just keeps getting higher and higher as his contract ages. According to you, this means the Falcons should be a shit show of a team until he's a free agent.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm 100% sure Ryan is not now and never will be a champion. The sooner Ryan fucks off the better.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm 100% sure Ryan is not now and never will be a champion. The sooner Ryan fucks off the better.

Y'all were 4-12 before Ryan came around and you guys have had 3 losing seasons in 11 years. I think you need some perspective on where y'all were before Matt Ryan.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all were 4-12 before Ryan came around and you guys have had 3 losing seasons in 11 years. I think you need some perspective on where y'all were before Matt Ryan.

Tony Gonzalez
Julio Jones
Roddy White
Michael Turner

He has been given every opportunity.

The greatest tight end ever and Julio Jones. Plus a good run game. That’s my perspective.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Gonzalez
Julio Jones
Roddy White
Michael Turner

He has been given every opportunity.

The greatest tight end ever and Julio Jones. Plus a good run game. That’s my perspective.

I'm not the biggest Matt Ryan fan, but he's not the reason there are no SB banners hanging from MB.

Of the 11 seasons Matt has been the QB, the OFC has been top 10, 6 times along with a 12th, 13th Over this same period they've had 3 DEFs in the top 10, and one 11th.

I blame Quinn and the staff for the SB loss, but the reality Dimitroff has no concept of building a team from inside out. You can have all the shiny skill position players you want, but if you don't take care of the trenches you will hit wall at some point. Peter Konz, Sam Baker, Lamar Holmes, Garrett Reynolds...these guys all started on the OL for the Falcons...complete trash.

The Falcons have not had a great DL or even a good DL AND a good OL really since 2012 and they go and replace McClure and Clabo and fell apart the very next season. This season Alex Mack was working with scrap heap for a LG and RG.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan may be the unfair recipient of my bitterness but after 4 decades of support I’m no longer responsible for my feelings.

On a serious note, I definitely agree that a great NFL team needs balance and power EVERYWHERE and that begins at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.