• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Literacy by School

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a thread with the report's conclusions, but nothing on the school by school breakdown.

So, CNN performed a report on illiteracy in college football. They asked 40 schools for the standardized test reading scores. While several refused to answer based on legal factors or "lack of collection", many responded. Here are the percentage which are below the reading threshold (400 SAT, 16 ACT) by school. There are also links to the individual schools.

Clemson= 34/199
Fresno State= 34/173
Georgia= 24/317
Iowa State= 48/420
Louisville= 38/316
LSU= Unknown, but we know ACT average is 18 (IA State is 22; WI is 23)
Ole Miss= 22/346
UNC= Unknown, but 68% read at 8th grade level or below
Northern Illinois= 22/244
Oklahoma= 21 scored below 17 on the ACT
Oklahoma State= 48/365
Oregon State= 82/607
Texas= 52/314
TAMU=29/118
Texas Tech=143/466
VA Tech= (Average of all athletes is 524 SAT. Refuse to provide football only.)
Washington= 25/180
Wisconsin= 2/122

A few nuggets:

1. Wisconsin has the best admission numbers, even when compared to peer schools like Texas and Washington. Unfortunately, Michigan, Ohio State, and Michigan State rejected requests, so we don't know if this is a pattern for the conference or just the Badgers.

2. Despite the high number of functionally illiterate students, none of the schools stand out as being that much worse than the others. Virtually all schools seem to limit themselves to 10-20% of players.

3. Every school clearly has much lower standards for athletes. Even Wisconsin football players have an average well beneath the 25th percentile ACT for the general student body. This should put to bed the stupid idea I saw on here yesterday that some schools have the same standards for athletes as they do for the larger student body.

4. The only schools that were in the SEC for the entire period (Georgia and Ole Miss) actually have some pretty good numbers and still maintained great recruiting classes. It really contradicts the stereotype.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NATTY ON A PLATTER!

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4. The only schools that were in the SEC for the entire period (Georgia and Ole Miss) actually have some pretty good numbers and still maintained great recruiting classes. It really contradicts the stereotype.

Thoughts?

i think there is something shady going on there. but i wouldnt be surprised if schools from all the other conferences are doing the same

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thoughts?

i think there is something shady going on there. but i wouldnt be surprised if schools from all the other conferences are doing the same

You are such a dumbass. You have no clue about any of these schools, yet if something doesn't fit your preconceived notions about it, then it must be something shady.

Meanwhile, you claim to be so educated yet can't even follow basic grammar like capitalizing the word I.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would make this waaaay more interesting is if the individual scores could be compared to the respective individual athletes stats.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are such a dumbass. You have no clue about any of these schools, yet if something doesn't fit your preconceived notions about it, then it must be something shady.

Meanwhile, you claim to be so educated yet can't even follow basic grammar like capitalizing the word I.

i dunno ==> you really think old miss the same school that just came off one of the most bizarre recruiting classes is clean? sorry I am not seeing it. ole miss has dirty written all over it and i seriously doubt their academic reports are legit. i had the same notions with psu that their unusually high graduation rates + their very high arrest rate is something that does not make sense and does not add up. ==> then we all found out how bad that administration was.

And I am saying right now that Mississippi's recruiting style does not add up with their academic reports. Ole Miss got a lot of players making last second decisions or switched commitments. Most of the recruits who do that are the ones less interested in going to class. I am not saying that Michigan is better than ole miss. I just have a very hard time believing that given their style they are as good as they say they are.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dunno ==> you really think old miss the same school that just came off one of the most bizarre recruiting classes is clean? sorry I am not seeing it. ole miss has dirty written all over it and i seriously doubt their academic reports are legit. i had the same notions with psu that their unusually high graduation rates + their very high arrest rate is something that does not make sense and does not add up. ==> then we all found out how bad that administration was.

And I am saying right now that Mississippi's recruiting style does not add up with their academic reports. Ole Miss got a lot of players making last second decisions or switched commitments. Most of the recruits who do that are the ones less interested in going to class. I am not saying that Michigan is better than ole miss. I just have a very hard time believing that given their style they are as good as they say they are.

So now it's gone from education to recruiting?

10-20% is no where near close.

And Penn St didn't get in trouble for graduation rates etc.

All you do is sit around trying to shit on everyone. Meanwhile, you are still so lazy you can't even bother yourself enough to hit a fucking shift button to capitalize the word I.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is absolutely nothing coherent or relevant about this post.

1. Recruiting rankings and late "flips" have no correlation to academic performance as this is one class of players, out of five. I could see you making an argument if they had a bunch of partial qualifiers sign up late but they flipped guys from other schools. If there are shady tactics going on, that doesn't say anything about the academics of the recruits. We get it, you hate the south and the SEC and all that goes on there is shady because those guys can't tie their own cleats. Meanwhile you attend Colorado, the most it's public school in....well.....Colorado maybe?

2. Athlete arrests at PSU is not an indicator of academic success either. Do oy dumb athletes get arrested? Go look at what the arrests were for before trying to make that association. Even if they are all morons, it is still a small proportion of the total football players on the team and would not impact the graduation rate very much. Error of rare events etc (see the +/- hockey stat)... Throwing in what was going on at PSU at the same timeline it has anything to do with graduation rates is also logically incoherent. It is simply appealing to a shock event. "They protected rapists so they must lie about grades!"

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, posting from phone, had to edit. This should make more sense, ha.

There is absolutely nothing coherent or relevant about this post.

1. Recruiting rankings and late "flips" have no correlation to academic performance as this is one class of players, out of five. I could see you making an argument if they had a bunch of partial qualifiers sign up late but they flipped guys from other schools. If there are shady tactics going on, that doesn't say anything about the academics of the recruits. We get it, you hate the south and the SEC and all that goes on there is shady because those guys can't tie their own cleats. Meanwhile you attend Colorado, the most prestigious public school in....well.....Colorado maybe?

2. Athlete arrests at PSU is not an indicator of academic success either. Do only dumb athletes get arrested? Go look at what the arrests were for before trying to make that association. Even if they are all morons, it is still a small proportion of the total football players on the team and would not impact the graduation rate very much. Error of rare events etc (see the +/- hockey stat)... Throwing in what was going on at PSU at the same time like it has anything to do with graduation rates is also logically incoherent. It is simply appealing to a shock event. "They protected rapists so they must lie about grades!"

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading the SportsHoopla makes me think we'd score even lower!

Of course, I mean all of you lunkheads!