• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions new OC...seriously?!?!

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that Texans offense is a real juggernaut. I can't believe teams weren't tripping over each other running to hire this guy.
I can't think of a worse coached offense in the league since O'Brien's been there.

He was just a QB coach. He made Watson look like an NFL QB. Bevells offense will make Cooters look like a high school team.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was just a QB coach. He made Watson look like an NFL QB. Bevells offense will make Cooters look like a high school team.

The Texans had about the worst QB play in the league for the last 5 or 6 years. This guy did nothing with Watson. Watson is out there improvising, and he's talented.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Texans had about the worst QB play in the league for the last 5 or 6 years. This guy did nothing with Watson. Watson is out there improvising, and he's talented.

You are in the minority on that. Have not seen any professional opinions that share that opinion.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be the most important change the Lions make this year, unless they draft a Reggie White clone.

When I see teams like the Jets and 49ers scoring more points than the Lions, I realize defense isn't the main problem. Either our OC sucked or Staff really isn't what he's cracked up to be. I hope it's the former, and I hope Bevell can turn this around.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are in the minority on that. Have not seen any professional opinions that share that opinion.

In the minority on what? You don't need a 'professional opinion' to appreciate and observe the fact that the Texans were a laughing stock offensively, led by their QB play, for years. Same goes with Watson improvising.

Last edited:

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the minority on what? You don't need a 'professional opinion' to appreciate and observe the fact that the Texans were a laughing stock offensively, led by their QB play, for years. Same goes with Watson improvising.

And who did they have for QBs? Brock Osweiler, LOL. TJ Yates, Brian Hoyer, Tom Savage.

Get real. Watson is the first QB with any kind of talent they have had in years.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is BigBlue72 this Darrell Bevel guy?

not that guy.

I'm POTUS' privileged personal poop bowl polisher (the 24k gold ones only, not a porcelain cleaner/polisher)

I'm also a naturalized citizen from the United States of Mexico

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bevell is better than Hackett and he was on the short list.

Nothing fancy but he has experience and has been in big games. I give him more credit than most for Wilson's maturation. Wilson became a passer under Bevell instead of an athlete trying to play QB.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only two of those you listed are without a HOF QB. And those had a HOF RB.

We don't have either of those.

Stafford may slide in the HOF for most yards thrown without a championship.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson and the Detroit Lions: An unlikely match

BB_72; you need to read the entire article to get the full jest of the following

Taking this a little deeper, we need to understand that the tight end has not been all that utilized with quarterback Matt Stafford at the helm.

In 2018, the Lions targeted tight ends 67 times, which was second-fewest in the NFL.

In 2017, the Lions threw to the tight end 119 times, which was No. 13 in the NFL.

In 2016, the Lions were No. 25 in tight end targets with 93.

In 2015, they were No. 22 in the NFL with 101 targets to the tight end.

In 2014, the Lions were No. 27 in the NFL in targeting the position with 78 targets.

In 2013, before the selection of Eric Ebron, the Lions were No. 16 in tight end usage with 110 total targets to the position.

To that end, we need to determine what new offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell has done with the position to truly get a feel for what this offense can do at tight end. This is the data for what Bevell did with tight ends during his last five seasons as offensive coordinator of the Seattle Seahawks.

2013: Zach Miller led the team with 56 targets. The Seahawks were No. 27 overall in tight end targets with 88.

2014: Luke Willson led the team with 40 targets. The Seahawks were No. 24 overall in tight end targets with 84.

2015: Jimmy Graham led the team with 74 targets. The Seahawks were No. 15 overall in tight end targets with 127.

2016: Jimmy Graham led the team with 95 targets. The Seahawks were No. 12 overall in tight end targets with 123.

2017: Jimmy Graham led the team with 96 targets. The Seahawks were No. 8 overall in tight end targets with 133.

Bevell has never utilized the tight end as it has not been a big part of his scheme, even when presented with an elite pass catcher at the position. The numbers show the most the Seahawks could do was to get Graham six targets per game, and that is not enough. Is there enough volume to warrant the selection of a tight end at No. 8 overall for this offense?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^

Regarding the above article and Hockenson missing some blocks, I'll counter with the statement that all players whether CFB or NFL make mistakes and have bad plays, series or game(s). It's relatively easy to point out a players bad plays or good plays just to make a statement. I'd like to know how many plays in total was Hockenson expected to block and then how many misses did he have in all of those assignments. I'm not going to review every game to add them up, divide etc.

I have no dog in this fight whether Hockenson is chosen or not at #8 but I will state, he's not the player I would want drafted at that slot.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson and the Detroit Lions: An unlikely match

BB_72; you need to read the entire article to get the full jest of the following

Taking this a little deeper, we need to understand that the tight end has not been all that utilized with quarterback Matt Stafford at the helm.

In 2018, the Lions targeted tight ends 67 times, which was second-fewest in the NFL.

In 2017, the Lions threw to the tight end 119 times, which was No. 13 in the NFL.

In 2016, the Lions were No. 25 in tight end targets with 93.

In 2015, they were No. 22 in the NFL with 101 targets to the tight end.

In 2014, the Lions were No. 27 in the NFL in targeting the position with 78 targets.

In 2013, before the selection of Eric Ebron, the Lions were No. 16 in tight end usage with 110 total targets to the position.

To that end, we need to determine what new offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell has done with the position to truly get a feel for what this offense can do at tight end. This is the data for what Bevell did with tight ends during his last five seasons as offensive coordinator of the Seattle Seahawks.

2013: Zach Miller led the team with 56 targets. The Seahawks were No. 27 overall in tight end targets with 88.

2014: Luke Willson led the team with 40 targets. The Seahawks were No. 24 overall in tight end targets with 84.

2015: Jimmy Graham led the team with 74 targets. The Seahawks were No. 15 overall in tight end targets with 127.

2016: Jimmy Graham led the team with 95 targets. The Seahawks were No. 12 overall in tight end targets with 123.

2017: Jimmy Graham led the team with 96 targets. The Seahawks were No. 8 overall in tight end targets with 133.

Bevell has never utilized the tight end as it has not been a big part of his scheme, even when presented with an elite pass catcher at the position. The numbers show the most the Seahawks could do was to get Graham six targets per game, and that is not enough. Is there enough volume to warrant the selection of a tight end at No. 8 overall for this offense?

Since you used up all the words in your post I will answer with 1 simple word, No.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I see teams like the Jets and 49ers scoring more points than the Lions, I realize defense isn't the main problem. Either our OC sucked or Staff really isn't what he's cracked up to be.

You had a OC that relied on short passing attack. Head coach comes in a wants to make it run first. Drafts accordingly. GM let's Ebron Walk and trades away Tate which made the current OC's offense run. Kerryon Johnson gets hurt. Taking away the run first approach and also GM killing the current OC's playbook with a trade. Stafford was absolutely doomed last year.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be the most important change the Lions make this year, unless they draft a Reggie White clone.

When I see teams like the Jets and 49ers scoring more points than the Lions, I realize defense isn't the main problem. Either our OC sucked or Staff really isn't what he's cracked up to be. I hope it's the former, and I hope Bevell can turn this around.

You had a OC that relied on short passing attack. Head coach comes in a wants to make it run first. Drafts accordingly. GM let's Ebron Walk and trades away Tate which made the current OC's offense run. Kerryon Johnson gets hurt. Taking away the run first approach and also GM killing the current OC's playbook with a trade. Stafford was absolutely doomed last year.

Even before the injuries and Tate trade the offense was giving up as many points as it scored. Defense got much better later in the year. And that is with Mike Ford starting at CB and Christian Jones at LB. Lets try to forget Nevin Lawson the penalty machine who did not have a single INT in his career and few passes defended playing slot CB.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthew Stafford has lowest air yards per pass of any QB

Lets hope Bevell can do something about this. Stafford went from one of the best in the league under Caldwell/JBC in 2017 to worst in the league with Patricia/scapegoat in 2018

So 1 yard difference between being the top and bottom. Talk about a completely meaningless statistic. For a RB maybe 1 yard per carry would mean something but for passing 1 yard (especially when it does not even take into consideration the YAC) is meaningless.

Also, it is pretty funny how coaches "ethyr" and "big pussy" never found positions even remotely close to what they had in Detroit. Every organization in the league knew they sucked. Thats all we need to know about that.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford went from one of the best in the league under Caldwell/JBC in 2017 to worst in the league with Patricia/scapegoat in 2018

Our offense is going to blow up when we take Metcalf, also have M.Jones and Golladay. Stafford will get to toss it up all day.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And who did they have for QBs? Brock Osweiler, LOL. TJ Yates, Brian Hoyer, Tom Savage.

Yeah, and now we have Savage. Thanks a lot. That would have been reason enough not to hire anyone from Houston.

I'd much rather give Cook every opportunity to take the backup job.