• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions new OC...seriously?!?!

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Russell Wilson.

Right.

My Stafford-bashing aside, he and Wilson are very different QB's with very different skill sets. It will be interesting to see how that affects Bevell's playbook.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right.

My Stafford-bashing aside, he and Wilson are very different QB's with very different skill sets. It will be interesting to see how that affects Bevell's playbook.
09 Favre is what we have to hope for. When Bevell had 5 ProBowl offensive guys plus Harvin that made it as a return man.

Wilson would've led the Lions in rushing in 2017 and would've been second almost every other season. He had 27 carries for a first down this year. Staff had 25 carries.

Chief602

Resident Wookie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find it but I read on Twitter where his offense lead the league in pass attempts over 20 yards. Play action passes won't be to the back the play fake was to 50% of the time anymore. That will be a plus.

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying I am not hopeful and I would love to have a good offense, I am just skeptical right now

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notes: Former NFL QB says Darrell Bevell often called the ‘perfect play’

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press took things one step further by talking to some former NFL players that played under Bevell. Speaking to quarterbacks Sage Rosenfels (worked under Bevell in 2009 with the Vikings) and Tarvaris Jackson (2006-10 with the Vikings; 2011, 2013-15 with the Seahawks), Birkett got a unique look at the Lions’ new offensive coordinator by some of the players that know him most.

“He’s going to be very quarterback friendly,” Jackson said. “Whatever you’re comfortable with, he’s going to make sure you get.”

That’s sure to be good news for Matthew Stafford, who just lost Jim Bob Cooter—a coach Stafford has constantly backed and trusted.

But while we’ve heard plenty about Bevell’s scheme and affinity to run, we’ve heard very little about his ability to call plays... well, except for that one play. However, Rosenfels remembers Bevell often coming up with the exact right call for the situation.

|I felt like when Bevell was calling plays that year and it would come through my headset, I was like, ‘Oh, that’s the perfect call,’” Rosenfels said. |I remember many, many times that year thinking that, that he found that play on his call sheet and it jumped out at me that it was sort of the perfect play to call in that situation.”

BB_72; for @Stomp

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How hiring Darrell Bevell impacts Lions' offseason needs

BB_72; more for @Stomp. I'm just going to copy and paste certain aspects of Bevell's tendencies

Rushing Market Share
rb-1.png

When Bevell first took over in Seattle in 2011, Marshawn Lynch was established as the top backfield option and was heavily relied upon for offensive production. They finished 21st in rushing yards.

By 2012, the Seahawks realized they need to give Lynch help and drafted Robert Turbin to be the RB2. They also drafted Russell Wilson who was immediately in the mix for rushing touches — the additions worked and Seattle’s production skyrocketed to third in rushing yards.

This format held true for the next three seasons with Lynch dominating touches, Wilson making things happen with his legs and Turbin assisting in a complementary role — production also stayed in the top five for rushing yards over this time period.

So why the sudden deviation from the plan in 2015?

Lynch was injured and Seattle learned a lesson that the Lions learned last year: Running backs are very susceptible to injury.

Fortunately for the Seahawks, they were prepared having previously established a stable of running backs and they were able to overcome the loss of Lynch, finishing the season third in rushing yards.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^

Lynch left Seattle after the season and instead of replacing him with another feature back, the Seahawks elected to use a committee approach that ended with subpar results. They used the same approach in 2017, but when the injury bug decimated the backfield, the Seahawks tried five different options at running back and again struggled to achieve their previous successes.

Erik’s bottom line
In Bevell’s previous systems they have relied on a feature back, but they also had enough foresight to have a complementary option who could supplement the top runner as well as step in as an injury replacement.

The Lions have their feature back in Kerryon Johnson but they need a reliable complementary option to help Johnson maximize his potential.

When you factor in the fact that the Lions won’t likely be as reliant on Matthew Stafford to run at the same clip at Wilson, those touches will also fold into the backfield making a second running back even more of a priority.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How hiring Darrell Bevell impacts Lions' offseason needs

Receiving Market Share
wr-te-3.png

When it comes to the receiving game, it appears Bevell plays favorites, but in reality, that isn’t necessarily true. Each year, there is a preferred option who receives the clear majority of targets, but who that is can vary.

n 2011, Doug Baldwin was the WR1 option, but in 2012, he took a backseat to Sidney Rice and Golden Tate. Tate took the top spot in 2013 but left for the Lions that offseason and Baldwin has led the way since.

The other noticeable trend over Bevell’s time in Seattle is the third wide receiver is relegated to the fourth or even fifth option on offense (save his first season in 2011).

Bevell doesn’t shy away from using running backs as receiving options — which plays into the strengths of Kerryon Johnson and Theo Riddick — but he heavily relies on the tight end position, too.

In 2012-13, Seattle used Zach Miller at tight end and his balanced skill sets earned him the third most targets during that time. In 2014, the Seahawks turned to Luke Willson but his lack of production pushed the tight end targets down to fifth on the team. The following season, Seattle traded for pass catching phenom Jimmy Graham and he vaulted the position into the second highest market share on the team for the next three seasons.

Erik’s bottom line
Bevell’s offenses historically favor a tight end over the third wide receiver and as the Lions will be looking to upgrade both positions in free agency, expect the tight end to be prioritized over the slot receiver need.

Slot receiver is still a need on the Lions roster, but don’t expect the Lions to be overly aggressive in acquiring one, whereas the tight end spot should be heavily targeted in free agency and in the draft as well — potentially as early as the second round.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you can expect another RB similar to KJ whether in FA or more than likely the draft and a pass catching TE either in FA or more than likely the draft also.

I'm stating draft is more likely from a financial state but I'm probably wrong on one if not both. They cannot expect going into the draft to draft both, imo.

I see a pass catching TE being signed in FA and IF a TE to their liking falls into their draft slot that has value then they pull the strings. It'll be easier to find a RB later on in the 5th or one of the two 6th round or quite possibly one of the two 7th round draft slots.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 3rd WR option might also be looked at in any of those last two rounds just in case they are truly interested in getting rid of Marvin next year.

Marvin is on the hot seat for posting on social media for complaining about being removed from the sidelines prior to game starting the very first game after his injury. Team policy is that any injured player is NOT to be on the sidelines during games. This is prior to Marvin being placed on IR.

Maybe the above is reason why MP/BQ might be shopping Marvin. RJF stated some players didn't buy in to MP's way of running the team. It's pure speculation or reading between the lines on my part regarding the possibility of trading Marvin.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 3rd WR option might also be looked at in any of those last two rounds just in case they are truly interested in getting rid of Marvin next year.

Marvin is on the hot seat for posting on social media for complaining about being removed from the sidelines prior to game starting the very first game after his injury. Team policy is that any injured player is NOT to be on the sidelines during games. This is prior to Marvin being placed on IR.

Maybe the above is reason why MP/BQ might be shopping Marvin. RJF stated some players didn't buy in to MP's way of running the team. It's pure speculation or reading between the lines on my part regarding the possibility of trading Marvin.

I hope not. MJ will be an intrical part of Bevell's offense from the sound of things. KG will be the intermediate routs which get the majority but the deep routes are not far behind. No more 3 yard passes on 3rd and 6.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bevell's fullback usage could provide opportunity for Bawden

n Seattle, Bevell’s offense had a heavy focus on the run game, something that’s easy to do with a running back like Marshawn Lynch in his arsenal. On a team that usually carried four or five running backs, Bevell liked to utilize his fullbacks as well.

seahawks-fullback-use.jpg

Bevell used fullbacks in his offense heavily from 2012 to 2015, which correlates directly with Seattle’s powerful ground game over those seasons. For three of those four seasons, a fullback was on the field for over a quarter of all offensive snaps.

The dropoff in the position’s usage after the 2015 season coincides with Lynch’s departure from Seattle and the team’s inability to find a solid starter at the running back position since then. Without a viable run game, the team relied more on Russell Wilson’s arm and scrambling ability to move their offense, which meant less need for a fullback.

Now compare those numbers to Detroit’s offenses over the years.

fullback-usage-4.jpg

After barely being used in Linehan’s offense, the fullback position resurfaced in Detroit under Joe Lombardi’s new system. Lombardi brought over Jed Collins, his fullback from New Orleans, and used him in over 22 percent of offensive snaps.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its nice to have viable coaches for a change. Its been about 50 years since the Lions looked like a real football organization.
Yeah, that Texans offense is a real juggernaut. I can't believe teams weren't tripping over each other running to hire this guy.

I can't think of a worse coached offense in the league since O'Brien's been there.