• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions crush the Stafford trade

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ran across this article a little more than a week ago. FWIW

D'ANDRE SWIFTRB, DETROIT LIONS

Lions head coach Dan Campbell said he wants to use RB D'Andre Swift as a slot receiver.​

After elaborating on how his Lions will "bite off" the kneecaps of their opponents -- among other medieval torture techniques -- the new Detroit head coach said he wants an offensive coordinator who will get Swift in space against linebackers, including using him in the slot. An excellent pass catcher, Swift excelled as the team's primary pass-catching back late in the 2020 season, catching 46 of 57 targets for 357 yards and two touchdowns. Swift's best game of the season was in Week 10 against Washington, when he exploited defensive mismatches and caught all five of his targets for 68 yards and a score. Swift would transform into a PPR force if the team commits to the shifty back in such a role.
SOURCE: Chris Burke on Twitter
Jan 21, 2021, 1:07 PM ET

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions will need to upgrade Kerryon Johnson to make the above work even better. KJ is damn good at pass-pro but haven't seen enough from him to be make a defense be overly concerned should he become an option through progression if Swift is covered.

KJ more than likely isn't going anywhere this season - simply a guess right now. All the Lions currently have under contract is Swift and KJ.

Something to think about.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe some options for the above that can also line-up in the backfield outside of a true RB. All four of these prospects can be moved around from z -y -x

D'Wayne Eskridge WR Western Michigan - Draft Player Profile | The Draft Network
D'Wayne Eskridge College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

2021 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings | The Draft Network Elijah Moore
no report just yet on him
Elijah Moore College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

Amari Rodgers WR Clemson - Draft Player Profile | The Draft Network
Amari Rodgers College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

Demetric Felton RB UCLA - Draft Player Profile | The Draft Network
this kid was dynamic at the Senior Bowl and has experience at RB
Demetric Felton College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
or the pure RB2 with very good ability in pass-pro and receiving out of the backfield

Kylin Hill RB Mississippi State - Draft Player Profile | The Draft Network
Kylin Hill College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

Rhamondre Stevenson RB Oklahoma - Draft Player Profile | The Draft Network
Sooner RB Coach, DeMarco Murray, raves about this kids potential. He's not a wheels on fire RB. He's more grinder yet some elusiveness.
Rhamondre Stevenson College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

Trey Sermon RB Ohio State - Draft Player Profile | The Draft Network
Trey Sermon College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the heck happened to Jared Goff? - Pride Of Detroit

Drastic change in strategy

In 2017 and 2018, the Los Angeles Rams were thought of as one of the best deep ball teams in the NFL. Goff finished those seasons with 8.0 (third in NFL) and 8.4 yards per attempt (fourth), respectively. But over the last two years, it’s been a completely different story:

Just look at Goff’s average intended air yards per throw over the years:
2016: 7.5
2017: 8.1
2018: 8.8
2019: 7.8
2020: 6.5
Whether it was because of the turnovers, a lack of faith in the offensive line, trading Brandin Cooks, Goff losing confidence in his own ability, or something else completely, the Rams simply didn’t throw the ball down field nearly as much over the past two seasons than they did in the previous two.

McVay mentioned in his post-game presser that the Rams certainly missed Cooks in 2020 specifically:

“Brandin was a huge contributor in those (previous) years,” McVay said. “That’s important to look at. You always want to make sure to create explosives plays. It wasn’t as prevalent as years past.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get Goff a speedy, take the top off, quick - twitch WR who can create separation and utilize those routes - scissor, slant, crossing, quick out in the flats ( The west coast style Shanahan) along with a feared running game (need more than Swift though) and Goff may have success once again. Hockenson on some deep seam routes along with the new kid, TE Hunter Bryant, and maybe Goff returns to the play type/success he had back in 2017/2018.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
needs for this draft

Going to need (2) WR this draft and if Holmes can obtain a couple extra day 2 picks maybe solidify that right side of the O-Line.

He still needs an Edge rusher who has the speed, twitch and bend to get after the QB but that edge rusher should also be able to drop into coverage at times and be better than just average at it.

Need an explosive 3-tech to wreak havoc on the QB also.

A starting Mike and Will that are solid in the run game but even better at coverage. and depth behind them (2)

If Holmes picks up a couple picks on day 3 he'll need to draft an inside/outside CB that can provide rotational reps this year right along with a S who can provide both run support and excel at coverage.

Will Harris isn't the answer for coverage duties and I doubt he'll change much but hope that Glenn and Pleasant can get the most out of him. I'm not counting on it. Harris' coverage wasn't poor at BC. He's athletic (at least one person here try's to convince me of it). He's barely ST player.

Another year and another RB needed. Hopefully not until mid day 3.

11 draft picks sounds about right. Lol

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe some options for the above that can also line-up in the backfield outside of a true RB. All four of these prospects can be moved around from z -y -x

@Stomp I did it again for the umpteenth time regarding x, y, z and you failed to call me out. If any of these little guys can play the in-line TE spot it's something new.

How about x, z, and slot for the little guys.

LOL at me and I wasn't even indulging last night.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This years OT is better than the previous two drafts and quite possibly better than the last two drafts combined. Don't be surprised to see the Front Office draft an OT to play the RT position at some point this year early on (day 1 or day 2).

1. Crosby is on his last year of his contract and prior to this past year he's only been serviceable. He's had concussion issues and some injuries this year which led the team to use Matt Nelson as his replacement.

2. Vaitai injured his foot early on in camp and that injury had an affect to his play. We all know he's not the answer at RT for the future even when he recovers. Is his injury a lisfranc ? IDK

3. This trade was made, in part, to acquire Goff and knowing he's not all that mobile and more pocket passer than scrambling outside of the pocket, the FO may very well want to upgrade that right side to protect Goff and build for the future whether or not he's here after 2022.
Agreed. We need a G and T on that side. Nelson can be the swing going forward and Dahl the swing inside unless we can draft a replacement (which I think we will).

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions Got got Ripped
off in Stafford trade.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exceptional Article with Matthew Stafford

It's 50x longer than any of my notorious TL;DR posts

but it's worth the time

snippets

After last season, Stafford was ready to do something he and his wife, Kelly, had first discussed before the year began: Ask for a trade out of Detroit.

Stafford had always been a perfect ambassador for the Lions, never once sounding off at the team's systemic ineptitude and irrelevance and pledging to himself and his city that he would do everything he could to deliver a Super Bowl.

"I just want to play in big games, you know? ... I want to have opportunities to make big-time plays in the fourth quarter against really good teams, in big moments, rather than a 1 o'clock game on a Sunday somewhere."

"no matter what the situation is ... I play for the guys around me."

Stafford had told the Lions that his preferences were the Rams, 49ers and Colts, in that order. The Panthers offered an attractive package to the Lions, and, without a no-trade clause in his contract, they could have sent him to Carolina. But he didn't want to go there

"How many prime-time games have you played?" Aside from Thanksgiving, just a few, Stafford replied.
This year, Demoff told him, the Rams would be on prime time five nights. Stafford smiled.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to have opportunities to make big-time plays in the fourth quarter against really good teams, in big moments,
8 wins and 67 losses against teams with winning records. His whole career in Detroit has been 4th quarter wannabe heroics. A quick recap without writing a book? Lions start with a 1-7 record and Martha Firestone Ford says "I want Wins" and the Lions all of the sudden go 6-2 to finish the season with a 7-9 record. The cherry on the cake is the Lions beat the Packers for the first time since 1991 in Lambeau to start that 6-2 run. Stafford is PHONY as they come.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda like you claiming to be a Lions fan.
If you can't handle it, ignore me. I can't help if the Ford family only does enough to sell tickets. Dominic Raiola gave some good advice...
Raiola said:
"You know, if you're not happy, why are you coming to the game? I understand that they haven't seen a winner in eight years, so don't come. Don't come until we turn it around."

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have you on ignore, but if you have the only response in a thread, your post shows up. So it doesn't really do any good.
@Dr.Evil-er had me on ignore and he was always a Ghost. Sometimes threads didn't make any sense. I myself have never Ignored anyone. But anywho, Stafford (2009) was the last tie to the Matt Millen/Rod Marinelli bunch (2008). Maybe I wont be so critical, these days.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 wins and 67 losses against teams with winning records. His whole career in Detroit has been 4th quarter wannabe heroics. A quick recap without writing a book? Lions start with a 1-7 record and Martha Firestone Ford says "I want Wins" and the Lions all of the sudden go 6-2 to finish the season with a 7-9 record. The cherry on the cake is the Lions beat the Packers for the first time since 1991 in Lambeau to start that 6-2 run. Stafford is PHONY as they come.
If this was Tennis, I'd agree with you. But Stafford didn't go 8-67. The Lions went 8-67. We know how the Lions have done without him in the past, in fact they were the worst team in the league when they drafted him #1 overall. And we pretty much know how they're going to do without him in the future, in fact we have a pretty good chance of being the worst team in the league and drafting #1 overall again. But this year we'll get to see how Stafford does without the Lions. Personally I don't think anyone will be calling him phony after this season, but I could be wrong.

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this was Tennis, I'd agree with you. But Stafford didn't go 8-67. The Lions went 8-67. We know how the Lions have done without him in the past, in fact they were the worst team in the league when they drafted him #1 overall. And we pretty much know how they're going to do without him in the future, in fact we have a pretty good chance of being the worst team in the league and drafting #1 overall again. But this year we'll get to see how Stafford does without the Lions. Personally I don't think anyone will be calling him phony after this season, but I could be wrong.

Agree with you here.

I think the Lions will be bad this year. I am hoping for 2 wins, maybe 4 but think they just might lose them all.

I think Stafford gets a win in the post season this year which was 1991 the last time the Lions had a post season win.