• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions Coaching Poaching Carousel Begins

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duce Staley moves on to Carolina Panthers. His actual title has yet to be determined publicly. Evidently, his mother is ailing, and he wants to be closer to her.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are only two remaining NFL head coach vacancies remaining this cycle: the Indianapolis Colts and Arizona Cardinals. Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn has interviewed for both positions, and now he has reportedly scheduled a second interview with the Colts. Per CBS Sports’ Jonathan Jones, Glenn will have a second, in-person interview with the Colts on Thursday.

Before you start to panic about losing Glenn, it’s worth putting Glenn’s second interview into its proper context. He will become the Colts’ eighth candidate to do a second interview for the job, joining Jeff Saturday, Raheem Morris, Shane Steichen, Ejiro Evero, Wink Martindale, Brian Callahan, and Richard Bisaccia. So, yes, it looks like Glenn is a finalist for the job, but the Colts have not narrowed this field down to just a couple of names. They’re doing a very thorough interview process.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Glenn gets either one of these jobs and I have nothing against him as a DC. I'm purely wanting those two 3rd round compensation picks with one each coming are way in 2023 and 2024.

Todd Wash could very likely become the DC should Glenn leave, and the former was the DC at Jacksonville 2016-2020. Under Wash, Jacksonville had one of the better defenses in the league until Jacksonville parted ways with Jalen Ramsey and Yannick Ngakoue.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duce Staley is a loss for sure. I had always assumed he would become the OC next year when Ben Johnson gets his HC job. I was not super high on Glenn at first, but the turnaround of the defense over the season is remarkable

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another former player becomes a position coach.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Current passing game coordinator Tanner Engstrand

Panther RB coach/assistant head coach Jeff Nixon

Georgia RB coach/run game coordinator Dell McGee

Miami RB coach Kevin Smith

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the Bly hire. Okudah could use some of his attitude on the field

I don't love it. The CB room needs a veteran coach who knows what he's doing.

What's on Blye's CV, other than being a former player? Being CB coach for one of the worst pass defenses in all of college football the last 3 years.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What's on Blye's CV, other than being a former player? Being CB coach for one of the worst pass defenses in all of college football the last 3 years.

I'm not so sure that the blame is entirely on BLY as to their DB's performance. Mack Brown doesn't exactly get top notch recruits there and having Gene Chizik as Asst, Head Coach and somewhat as a DC wasn't exactly any help either.

BTW, Nick Saban is supposed to be a CB - DB guru and he's had far more misses than he'd likely admit to, and he's had significantly better prospects to work with.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure that the blame is entirely on BLY as to their DB's performance. Mack Brown doesn't exactly get top notch recruits there and having Gene Chizik as Asst, Head Coach and somewhat as a DC wasn't exactly any help either.

BTW, Nick Saban is supposed to be a CB - DB guru and he's had far more misses than he'd likely admit to, and he's had significantly better prospects to work with.

Actually, Blye was touted more-so for his recruiting than his coaching. He landed Tony Grimes and Tayon Holloway, both blue-chip CB recruits. The unit still sucked. And then Grimes transferred.

I get the whole hiring former players thing. But a merit hire would be nice for the weakest unit on the team.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two of the big knocks I remember hearing about Dre Bly as a player make me really question this move.

1. In his first go round with us, when he was in his prime, it was leaked/mentioned by several sources that he was known for telling his teammates and encouraging hisyounger players to say "fuck the team, fuck the system. In this league you gotta make sure you get yours." Just encouraging other players to be selfish. While New England was at the height of the Patriot Way dynasty trusting the system, he was chasing paychecks.

2. When he was in his second go round with us, he was way past his prime. He was brought in to provide some veteran leadership. But it was reported he viewed the young guys on the roster as his competition for playing time and not only was he not a mentor to them, he was divisive in the locker room and ended up getting cut in the preseason.

Both of those are plentiful in the league. Although as a team first kinda guy, I never really liked him after hearing that. But unless everything in the world has changed, it doesn't seem like he's the coaching type.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fair enough. By all accounts Pleasant was an excellent coach and the secondary got better without him. Maybe bad coach is just what we need!

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scottie Montegomery taking the Staley role. I have no idea who that is and so can have no opinion on the hiring.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scottie Montegomery taking the Staley role. I have no idea who that is and so can have no opinion on the hiring.

Who Dat?

They should've tried to poach Georgia Bulldogs RB coach.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Montogmery comes to the Lions from the Indianapolis Colts, where he had been the RB coach for the last two seasons. Montgomery has a broader coaching history that includes a stint as the head coach at Duke University and with several teams as a wide receivers coach. He was a wide receiver for some NFL teams in the early 2000s.