• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions 2021 off-season FA. Something for nothing or nothing at all ?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
promising to read

Julian Okwara​

During those one-on-ones between linebackers and tight ends, Julian Okwara was a surprise standout. He looked like a natural backpedaling and cleanly broke up a pass. He was one of the few defenders during the five-minute session to get his hands on a ball.

Okwara won’t be asked to drop into coverage all that much in this defense, but it’s nice to see he has the athletic traits to potentially do it if called upon.
If his knee is close to 100% he should be productive.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Impressive day: One position group I'll have a pretty close eye on this week is wide receiver. There's expected to be a lot of competition in that room for playing time and roster spots.

The receiver who impressed me the most Tuesday was second-year pass catcher Quintez Cephus. He was terrific in the 1-on-1 period against the cornerbacks, showing a quick twitch and ability to separate. He made a diving toe-tap catch in the corner of the end zone from quarterback Tim Boyle to end a mid-practice 7-on-7 period. The offense ran through some two-point conversion plays at the end of practice and Cephus made a grab in the end zone in that period as well. Cephus had a really solid day to start minicamp. – Tim Twentyman

I think Cephus got a bad rap because he dropped some passes but that is with Stafford throwing rockets at him 10 yards away. I was impressed what I saw of him early last season. He got in the dog house and barely played after that.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one area in the defense I'm still not comfortable with is the Safety Group

T. Walker, W. Harris, D. Marlowe, Bobby Price, Jalen Elliot, C. J. Moore - ST's guy mostly and emergency replacement player only, G. Igwebuike, D. Amos - rookie UDFA

There's still a couple FA Safeties out there to be had at some point to help out for a year, imo

D.J. Swearinger Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Agree. Definitely need help here. At least the new LBs show promise. TW3 and Marlowe are the only decent safeties we got.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it because they are really good or the defense still sucks?

not really sure which it is

defense sucks or offensive skill positions - mostly RB/Hock - are really good

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If his knee is close to 100% he should be productive.

He hadn't recovered fully from his left fibula being broken while at Notre Dame mid-Nov 2019 and then came the right leg injury against Jax last year mid-season

Here's to hoping that's all behind him now

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cephus got a bad rap because he dropped some passes but that is with Stafford throwing rockets at him 10 yards away. I was impressed what I saw of him early last season. He got in the dog house and barely played after that.

positive reports so far from the local media's eyes and what they're writing. we'll see how he develops once pads are on in training camp.

Despite his slow time in the 40, he was able to get separation from good DB's last year with his savvy route running. He's not going to run away from anyone who has tight coverage but he does possess the ability to use his body to block out DB's and has strong hands - even though the lack of concentration pops up here and there with drops - Hock also needs to clean up his drops.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least the new LBs show promise.

so far it appears there's some life within the LB group but I don't trust a one of them to become dominant in coverage

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so far it appears there's some life within the LB group but I don't trust a one of them to become dominant in coverage

I think Linebackers are the weakest position group on the team, it was not going to be fixed in one year, which is fine, but I was hoping they would start towards fixing it now. As it stands the LB's are still more than 1 year away from correcting. If 1 or 2 surprises and do more help than we are thinking then it is a huge win for the Lions offseason.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty much the same as day before. defense shows the ability to shut down the offense here and there and yet offense has been getting some wins - mostly Swift is a frickin' nightmare for the defense - add in Hock too as the defense has had trouble covering him.

Former Saint/ND FA TE, Alize Mack, has been on an uptick also with his receiving ability

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Linebackers are the weakest position group on the team, it was not going to be fixed in one year, which is fine, but I was hoping they would start towards fixing it now. As it stands the LB's are still more than 1 year away from correcting. If 1 or 2 surprises and do more help than we are thinking then it is a huge win for the Lions offseason.

got to agree.

I never expected that group to be completely fixed this past off-season whether through FA or the draft. There were too many holes/needs to fill.

Hopefully 4th round draft pick Barnes is the one that surprises. He was more edge rusher at Purdue than a stack LB so, he's still raw and learning.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mebert

any suggestions on who's still available on the FA market that could be of help to that LB group

The only one I can recall is KJ Wright

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last two years have been pretty thin at coverage LB coming out of college

Holmes/Campbell had a couple opportunities to draft a coverage LB before taking Barnes and Jabril Cox was still available when they drafted Barnes but there's some reason as to why they bypassed on selecting him - right along with 31 other teams for 3 complete rounds

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mebert

any suggestions on who's still available on the FA market that could be of help to that LB group

The only one I can recall is KJ Wright

The unrealistic to actually hit the market that would make me need to change my pants: Fred Warner/ Darius Leonard

More likely, and good at coverage: Jayon Brown

Draft: Devin Lloyd THE University of Utah

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh man, I did not read your question right, I was looking at next year's FA's. I am not sure there is any kind of game-changer out there now. I would rather run with the young guys, give everyone a shot to prove themselves. Unless an ideal fit is late in camp I say run with what they have.

Edit: I would have said Kwon Alexander, but we have no guarantee he will even be able to play this year.

Last edited:

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2021 NFL Free Agency: Most underrated free agent at every position | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

One player I would like to see signed if at the cost that PFF projects but once again I'd rather stay away from any significant signing.

KJ Wright is still playing damn good at age 31 but how far is he from falling off the cliff ? IDK. Highly doubtful he would come to Detroit.

LINEBACKER: K.J. WRIGHT

Projected contract: Two years, $12 million ($6 million guaranteed)

Wright has been a consistent performer in every facet of play throughout his 10-year career. He did have a down year in 2019 following an injury-riddled 2018 season, but Wright still ranked 36th in the league in PFF grade and bounced right back to form in 2020.

Wright was the sixth-most valuable off-ball linebacker in the NFL in 2020, according to PFF WAR. He actually generated three times as much WAR as fellow free agent linebackers Matt Milano and Jayon Brown, who are projected to receive a much, much bigger contract this offseason.

Obviously, age is a key reason for this, but Wright is showing no signs of decline and outplaying those in their prime.

I am starting to think this might be a good idea. I think this would not only sure up the front seven it would help the younger LBs too.

I am starting to think there is hope for Tavai though. I saw a picture of him and he looked to be in much better shape this year. Maybe being thinner he will not be as slow any more. Also having a decent LB group will help the secondary be less of a liability.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am starting to think this might be a good idea. I think this would not only sure up the front seven it would help the younger LBs too.

I am starting to think there is hope for Tavai though. I saw a picture of him and he looked to be in much better shape this year. Maybe being thinner he will not be as slow any more. Also having a decent LB group will help the secondary be less of a liability.

If the following article is correct regarding Tavai playing at 270 lbs. - and that's ridiculous weight for a LB, like him, who's expected to provide coverage - then he needs to drop into the 245 lb. range if he really wants to be able to recoup any alleged speed he might have had.

Tavai shed nearly 20 pounds to gain some of his speed and agility back.

Playing at nearly 270 pounds last year, there was simply no way he’d fit on a roster that’s trying to add speed.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^

I still don't see him lasting beyond this year outside of a miracle breakthrough - speed, instincts and tackling have all been suspect traits