• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions 2021 off-season FA. Something for nothing or nothing at all ?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pro Football Focus’ Ben Linsey ranked the best offensive lines heading into the 2021 season, placing the Lions near the top of the list at No. 10. (That’s a high ranking for anything related to Detroit.)

Here’s exactly how Lindsey put it: “It’s fair to be optimistic about Detroit building one of the best offensive lines in the NFL.”

Boy that’s nice to read, huh? Lindsey points to left tackle Taylor Decker’s career-high 82.0 overall grade and 85.8 pass-blocking grade in 2020, as well as center Frank Ragnow’s third-best mark among the league’s centers at 80.3. The guy is constantly making top lists at his position.

Throw in rookie Penei Sewell at right tackle — the top offensive tackle on the PFF draft board — and Detroit is in good shape in 2021. The only position still in need of some work is guard, but the hope is moving Halapoulivaati Vaitai from right tackle to right guard will fix some of those pass-blocking issues, and Jonah Jackson lives up to his potential after a less-than-stellar 57.0 overall grade last season.
I hated a lot about Quinn, but his work on the oline was very good. He dedicate a lot of early round picks and did well with them. Vitai was a miss, but over all very solid. If he had held onto Glasgow the Lions only question would be if Jackson can take the next step.

Kudos to the new group for keeping it a priority with Sewell.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Detroit Lions: Add another skill position player​

It's a new era in Detroit as the coaching staff saw an overhaul. Jared Goff is the new quarterback after Matthew Stafford was traded to Goff's former team in the Los Angeles Rams.

While the Lions are likely still building toward what they hope are more fruitful seasons down the line, they'll still look to compete in 2021, and giving Goff another weapon to work with would be a welcome sight. The team does have Breshad Perriman and Tyrell Williams as the top two receiver options, but neither is striking a ton of fear into opposing secondaries.

They also have T.J. Hockenson at tight end and a stable of backs that includes D'Andre Swift and Jamaal Williams, but adding one more dynamic piece may do this unit a world of good. While I would lean more toward a receiver, the team has shown interest in free-agent running back Todd Gurley.
Was hoping it was going to be Jaylin Waddle.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated a lot about Quinn, but his work on the oline was very good. He dedicate a lot of early round picks and did well with them. Vitai was a miss, but over all very solid. If he had held onto Glasgow the Lions only question would be if Jackson can take the next step.

Kudos to the new group for keeping it a priority with Sewell.

agree that BQ did well with draft picks for the O-Line and reserve O-Line FA but Rick Wagner (had his best year per PFF in 2020 with Packers - go figure) was a huge swing and miss and now more than likely Vaitai too.

I'd rather keep Crosby this year and hope he can cross train into playing RG and still be the emergency swing tackle should Decker or Sewell go down.

Matt Nelson has 1 start and a handful of games getting limited snaps due to injuries of others. He hasn't proven anything other than emergency replacement player to date. Maybe he gets better but having played defense at Iowa for 4 years and trying to make the switch to OT without a lot of reps is a huge task/risk.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was hoping it was going to be Jaylin Waddle.

nothing wrong with a dream.

you might as well extend it by adding Tua with Waddle in some fantasy trade

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears that Cephus, Swift and J. Williams are having some positive results so far. It's only mini-camp and pads so it's difficult to glean too much from these practices.

I've read a couple of articles that state Swift and J. Williams are pretty much able to beat any defensive player.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
promising to read

Julian Okwara​

During those one-on-ones between linebackers and tight ends, Julian Okwara was a surprise standout. He looked like a natural backpedaling and cleanly broke up a pass. He was one of the few defenders during the five-minute session to get his hands on a ball.

Okwara won’t be asked to drop into coverage all that much in this defense, but it’s nice to see he has the athletic traits to potentially do it if called upon.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

D’Andre Swift/Jamaal Williams​

If these two don’t combine for at least 60 catches this year, they’re not being used correctly. Again, the Lions’ top running back duo dominated in the receiving game. During one-on-ones, Williams did rookie linebacker Tavante Beckett so dirty that the entire crowd of players and coaches erupted.

Swift, too, looked unguardable. During one of the first seven-on-seven reps, he cleanly beat Dean Marlowe for an easy score.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^

Damn well better be more likely around 90+ catches between the two - Swift and Jamaal Williams

Swift should get 60 catches all to himself from the RB department, imo

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

D’Andre Swift​

Lynn told reporters before practice that because it’s hard to work on a run game with no pads on, he likes to test running backs out of the tackle box, because “sometimes they’re like a fish out of water when they get out there.”

Safe to say, Swift did not at all look out of place when lined up on the outside. Swift’s precision and short-area quickness stood out among the running backs during route-running drills. In seven-on-sevens, Swift was unstoppable. Trey Flowers was his first victim, as Swift quickly gained three steps on the edge defender who will be asked to drop into coverage more this season. Then Swift beat Alex Anzalone over the middle during the next session.

Swift is a matchup problem for defenses, and I’m not sure there’s a single player on the Lions defense that can cover him right now.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jamaal Williams​

Not to be outdone, Williams sure looks like the kind of player that won’t be uncomfortable lined up on the outside, either. He had arguable the play of the day, when he juked safety Godwin Igwebuike so hard out of his shoes that when Williams caught the ball, he turned back to Igwebuike while trotting backwards to give him a little trash talk.

“I be trying to tell the defense now, don’t look at this number. Don’t look at 30 and think, ‘Oh, running routes is going to be easy,’” Williams said after practice. “I want that. I want all of that. And if you think you’re frisky, come one-on-one and we can really—I want all of that.”

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not that the starting offensive skill players didn’t have some moments, because they did indeed. But for the bulk of practice, the starting LBs and DBs got the better of the first-team QBs, RBs, WRs and TEs in drills. It was especially obvious in a red zone drill that concluded the session close enough to those of us in the media that we could hear the coaches talking.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The biggest winner of the offense was RB D’Andre Swift. No. 32 was basically uncoverable in the drills where RBs worked against LBs. He won every rep, one of which toasted Alex Anzalone despite the follically gifted LB being in good phase in coverage until Swift pulled away to snag a nice over-the-top throw from Goff. Anzalone just threw up his hands after the rep, knowing that his best effort just got bested by Swift.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike Ford had some nice reps as the slot corner, including a nice break-up on a low throw to Breshad Perriman. Ford took the majority of the first-team reps in the slot over newcomer Corn Elder, who did little to stand out in either direction. Ford’s speed showed in the WR vs. CB drill that was going on concurrent with the LB vs. RB drill, too.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Undrafted rookie LB Tavante Beckett continues to look impressive in coverage drills. He won three of the four reps against RBs, including a win against Jamaal Williams where Beckett was probably guilty of a hold but still was in good position regardless.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your boy @Old Lion

Another UDFA wideout, Sage Surratt, made a nice catch in team drills. He was also sharp in an earlier drill where the receivers had to release around a blocking pad on out routes. Surratt and Victor Bolden both earned plusses in my notebook for the drill, while Geronimo Allison and Williams both earned minuses. It’s not an easy drill for leggy receivers, and that’s part of why Surratt’s performance impressed in it.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Impressive day: One position group I'll have a pretty close eye on this week is wide receiver. There's expected to be a lot of competition in that room for playing time and roster spots.

The receiver who impressed me the most Tuesday was second-year pass catcher Quintez Cephus. He was terrific in the 1-on-1 period against the cornerbacks, showing a quick twitch and ability to separate. He made a diving toe-tap catch in the corner of the end zone from quarterback Tim Boyle to end a mid-practice 7-on-7 period. The offense ran through some two-point conversion plays at the end of practice and Cephus made a grab in the end zone in that period as well. Cephus had a really solid day to start minicamp. – Tim Twentyman

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one area in the defense I'm still not comfortable with is the Safety Group

T. Walker, W. Harris, D. Marlowe, Bobby Price, Jalen Elliot, C. J. Moore - ST's guy mostly and emergency replacement player only, G. Igwebuike, D. Amos - rookie UDFA

There's still a couple FA Safeties out there to be had at some point to help out for a year, imo

D.J. Swearinger Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swearinger played for New Orleans last year and is well traveled - with injury concerns the last 2 years

Hooker has all the talent in the world but being healthy and available is his biggest obstacle since being drafted in 2017

any addition to the Safety group can be a wait and see how training camp goes with the current players but I think that group needs to be addressed.

Dream scenario is to add New Orleans Safety Marcus Williams next year if the time is right and depending how the defense turnaround goes. He's currently on a one year tag and I don't foresee N.O. being able to retain him next year as a FA along with also having Lattimore and Ramczyk as FA in 2022

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears that Cephus, Swift and J. Williams are having some positive results so far. It's only mini-camp and pads so it's difficult to glean too much from these practices.

I've read a couple of articles that state Swift and J. Williams are pretty much able to beat any defensive player.

Is it because they are really good or the defense still sucks?