• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Leyland stepping down as Tigers mgr

Are you happy Leyland is out? Blame him for ALCS loss?

• YES

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • NO

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tigertowner68

Church of Baseball member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Leyland is announcing that he is retiring in five minutes at a live news conference from Comerica Park.

Do you blame him for the Tigers' ouster from the postseason in the ALCS? Are you happy that he is leaving?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame him one bit - players didn't step up

Tigertowner68

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For my two cents, I am sad that he is leaving. I don't think that it is his fault that he was given a team that resembled a shiny Cadillac with a rusty back bumper (the awful bullpen).

I did notice that he was getting particularly short and impatient with the media. This town has a very soft and forgiving media, especially when you compare it with other markets (e.g.- Boston, New York and Philadelphia).

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as simple as the poll suggests. Am I happy he is out? Eh, kinda.

Do I blame him for the loss? No. That falls on the bullpen (and Dombrowski for not doing anything about it) and the bats which fell completely silent once the pressure was on.

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Do I blame him for the loss? No. That falls on the bullpen (and Dombrowski for not doing anything about it) and the bats which fell completely silent once the pressure was on.

:agree: that bullpen was awful and the $20 mil FA has done nothing for them in the post-season. With Miggy playing injured, there wasn't a whole lot most managers could do against a Sox team that has a bunch of experienced gamers and a far superior bullpen. I do question taking out Scherzer in an elimination game but he may have saw something and he is a much smarter baseball man than I am. Leyland was one of the good guys in this game. Just have to wish him well for the future.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
blame the players and will always blame or give them credit.

Tigertowner68

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: that bullpen was awful and the $20 mil FA has done nothing for them in the post-season. With Miggy playing injured, there wasn't a whole lot most managers could do against a Sox team that has a bunch of experienced gamers and a far superior bullpen. I do question taking out Scherzer in an elimination game but he may have saw something and he is a much smarter baseball man than I am. Leyland was one of the good guys in this game. Just have to wish him well for the future.

well said

Tigertowner68

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True...it never is that simple, although many a "simpleton" would blame him and nothing else

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True...it never is that simple, although many a "simpleton" would blame him and nothing else

Appears that Tiger fandom is loaded with ''simpletons''. I also get a chuckle out of those fans who now claim they were NOT anti-Leyland....after spending the season yelling, "Fire Leyland!", after every loss. I sure don't want it to happen....but it would be hilarious if Detroit replaces JL with Lloyd Mac. (Well....it would give the "Blame It All on the Manager" crowd new life wouldn't it? lol)
:gaah:

Tigertowner68

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appears that Tiger fandom is loaded with ''simpletons''. I also get a chuckle out of those fans who now claim they were NOT anti-Leyland....after spending the season yelling, "Fire Leyland!", after every loss. I sure don't want it to happen....but it would be hilarious if Detroit replaces JL with Lloyd Mac. (Well....it would give the "Blame It All on the Manager" crowd new life wouldn't it? lol)
:gaah:

:agree:Good one Ronnie, err, Iffy

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Imagine how bad things would be if the club hired Bobby Valentine. Ask Red Sox fans how a manager can turn a perennial contender into a laughing stock last place club. Sorry guys, I wouldn't wish that idiot on anyone, even the hated Yankees. lol

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine how bad things would be if the club hired Bobby Valentine. Ask Red Sox fans how a manager can turn a perennial contender into a laughing stock last place club. Sorry guys, I wouldn't wish that idiot on anyone, even the hated Yankees. lol
I WOULD wish Not-My-Valentine on the Sinstripes, but strongly doubt it will ever happen.

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I WOULD wish Not-My-Valentine on the Sinstripes, but strongly doubt it will ever happen.

:lol: just wondering, are you Sox fans missing Tito at all now after the Bobby V fiasco? I guess your new guy has done well this year but unloading some of the deadwood helped immensely, imo. Most notably, DiceK and Beckett.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: just wondering, are you Sox fans missing Tito at all now after the Bobby V fiasco? I guess your new guy has done well this year but unloading some of the deadwood helped immensely, imo. Most notably, DiceK and Beckett.
I, for one, was missing Francona even before the Valentine Fiasco.

DaiSUCKY as I called him WAS dead weight. Beckett might have been overpaid but was not dead weight.
Farrell has only done what Not-My-Valentine should have been able to do.

Our FO has made good use of the money freed up by the Dodger trade, but ditching Bobby V was the best move of last off-season.

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I remember after that huge collapse and Francona leaving when they were still talking about hiring Bobby V and some guys thought I was nuts when I told them he was a moron. No,no, they were saying, Francona lost the clubhouse and Valentine will set these guys right. Boy, I bet they could go back a retract that line of thought. Even the so-called experts on MLB network and ESPN and so on thought it was a good hire. Boggles my mind.

Tigertowner68

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember after that huge collapse and Francona leaving when they were still talking about hiring Bobby V and some guys thought I was nuts when I told them he was a moron. No,no, they were saying, Francona lost the clubhouse and Valentine will set these guys right. Boy, I bet they could go back a retract that line of thought. Even the so-called experts on MLB network and ESPN and so on thought it was a good hire. Boggles my mind.

bloody good call...