• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lets Talk Offensive Line

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here link to potential diamond in the rough players we could look at on Day 3 for the Oline:

Add your own link to offensive lineman that could be had where ever. I know most are looking 1st round and trading down. I personally am looking day 2 and 3.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here link to potential diamond in the rough players we could look at on Day 3 for the Oline:

Add your own link to offensive lineman that could be had where ever. I know most are looking 1st round and trading down. I personally am looking day 2 and 3.
I'm so FUCKING TIRED of diamond in the rough OL. That's how we got into this predicament to begin with.

Go get some actual talented OL and stop screwing around. Bengals lucked into a potential generational QB and are going to fuck him up.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And re-reading this - this isn't a shot at you Crash...Sorry if it came off that way.

We should absolutely be looking at guys in the later rounds to bolster the depth.

My issue is I am fearful (with good reason) that the Bengals will fall inlove with skill position players and other needs/fits and there will be a run on OL early leaving very little immediate help/talent at the OL position.

So - my original post isn't directed at you. My bad.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And re-reading this - this isn't a shot at you Crash...Sorry if it came off that way.

We should absolutely be looking at guys in the later rounds to bolster the depth.

My issue is I am fearful (with good reason) that the Bengals will fall inlove with skill position players and other needs/fits and there will be a run on OL early leaving very little immediate help/talent at the OL position.

So - my original post isn't directed at you. My bad.
It's all good. Even when I first read it before you followed up I wasn't offended. I get what you are saying. We are all passionate. If we are looking at an immediate starter on our oline, maybe we should be looking at Vera-Tucker, because it would be better to have a natural guard being brought in, instead of trying to convert another OT to guard. Another thing we are constantly doing, trying to convert players to positions they are not natural or experienced at. If you are sick of us constantly ignoring and not building right, then none of those guys are right for us this year except Vera-Tucker, because Williams and Reiff are already set at tackles.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm so FUCKING TIRED of diamond in the rough OL. That's how we got into this predicament to begin with.

Go get some actual talented OL and stop screwing around. Bengals lucked into a potential generational QB and are going to fuck him up.

Prior to drafting Burrow 3 of the last 5 Bengals 1st rd picks were OL. It's not that they're neglected the position, they just made poor selections.

My take is that with a solid QB we hopefully won't be drafting in the top 5 every year. This is their chance to land a HOF caliber prospect that's why I want Pitts if hes on the board.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prior to drafting Burrow 3 of the last 5 Bengals 1st rd picks were OL. It's not that they're neglected the position, they just made poor selections.

My take is that with a solid QB we hopefully won't be drafting in the top 5 every year. This is their chance to land a HOF caliber prospect that's why I want Pitts if hes on the board.
You are right in that they have drafted OL. My question with at least 2 of those guys (Ced and Fisher) is that while rated well, they were both highly questionable, IIRC - with some major red-flags. They seemed like reaches a bit.

The biggest issue, though - was that they continued to double down on guys like Ced and Fisher when it was clear as day they were not good. Watching them for 2 years in practice and deciding to let the OL walk that they did....inexcusable, IMO. That, to me, is where the issue has come from.

So, I do agree - they've targeted OL - but they've not finished the job in terms of getting the right guys, evaluating deep enough (I suppose), and then not moving on quick enough and finding more guys when it was obvious that they were not going to work out.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all good. Even when I first read it before you followed up I wasn't offended. I get what you are saying. We are all passionate. If we are looking at an immediate starter on our oline, maybe we should be looking at Vera-Tucker, because it would be better to have a natural guard being brought in, instead of trying to convert another OT to guard. Another thing we are constantly doing, trying to convert players to positions they are not natural or experienced at. If you are sick of us constantly ignoring and not building right, then none of those guys are right for us this year except Vera-Tucker, because Williams and Reiff are already set at tackles.
I do agree, but there is a lot of chatter about both Cosmi and Leatherwood being more natural OG/RT's than their LT designations. I think both have the size and anchor to be interior OL, though I don't completely disagree with your point.

FWIW - same thing about Darrisaw and Slater who many project to be able to play OG as well. Sewell is one of the few true pure OT's in the draft where you likely don't see him getting reps at OG unless it's as an emergency type deal. In this instance, I can see why one would want Chase over Sewell since the OT's are locked up; however, this is where I come in with my trade down and pickup an extra 2nd rounder....assuming there is a trade partner.

Last edited:

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right in that they have drafted OL. My question with at least 2 of those guys (Ced and Fisher) is that while rated well, they were both highly questionable, IIRC - with some major red-flags. They seemed like reaches a bit.

The biggest issue, though - was that they continued to double down on guys like Ced and Fisher when it was clear as day they were not good. Watching them for 2 years in practice and deciding to let the OL walk that they did....inexcusable, IMO. That, to me, is where the issue has come from.

So, I do agree - they've targeted OL - but they've not finished the job in terms of getting the right guys, evaluating deep enough (I suppose), and then not moving on quick enough and finding more guys when it was obvious that they were not going to work out.
Everyone has swing and misses in the draft. Bengals have made some decent decisions on drafting OL, Cedric sucked, but they were taking a chance on his top 5 potential later in the first because of the injury he was coming back from. Fisher was always hurt also. I was extremely happy with the Billy Price pick at the time, he has not lived up to potential, but where he really started going down hill was after Pollack left and Turner took over. Williams, while accident prone was really starting to show up last year as the year went on and he got healthier it seemed.

Our best offensive lineman in recent memory was a 2nd round pick in Whitworth. Once again, LSU. I think if we just stick with taking players from the LSU Tigers and make them Cincinnati Bengals we will be okay. haha

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree, but there is a lot of chatter about both Cosmi and Leatherwood being more natural OG/RT's than their LT designations. I think both have the size and anchor to be interior OL, though I don't completely disagree with your point.

FWIW - same thing about Darrisaw and Slater who many project to be able to play OG as well. Sewell is one of the few true pure OT's in the draft where you likely don't see him getting reps at OG unless it's as an emergency type deal. In this instance, I can see why one would want Chase over Sewell since the OT's are locked up; however, this is where I come in with my trade down and pickup an extra 2nd rounder....assuming there is a trade partner.
But you already know the Bengals are not ones to trade out of a premium 1st round slot, back or forwards. This would completely be out of character as an organization. With their willingness to spend in free agency lately, I am not opposed to them taking the best player on the board and fill where they can. Granted, FA comes before the draft so it is a bit of a gamble still, but you have many post draft cuts and you have potential draft day trades for players potentially getting cut and teams wanting an extra pick or relief from the cap hell this year.

I could see us trading a 3rd day pick for an offensive lineman that is pushing another teams cap and they just drafted another offensive lineman they want to replace that guy with anyways. So instead of cutting, they trade. Julio Jones is said to be available after June 1st for draft compensation next year. Not that we are going after him, just an example or ways to improve the roster without losing out on the premium player at the top of the draft.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we may need to suck it up and make this the "offensive line draft" if we really want to protect burrow.

we'll see how things go as it gets closer.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we may need to suck it up and make this the "offensive line draft" if we really want to protect burrow.

For your viewing pleasure...I offer you the 2021 NFL All Offensive Line Draft for the Bengals:

1619537177937.png

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the way our players pull up to training camp in ortho boots on a yearly basis, this would be our starting line and reserves at some point.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We could draft 7 offensive lineman, best at the time, and we would be lucky to get two starters, because most of the line is already set as long as health permits. Never know how guys are going to pan out, guy that may not pan out may be your first round pick (Obuehi and Price anyone?). So that is always a possibility too.

It is also important from an organizational standpoint to nab players that will become media darlings and entice networks to show Bengal games which earns more franchise fans, more money, etc. Burrow was one of those. I think Chase would be another one of those, probably Pitts too.

Where Chase separates himself from Pitts though, Pitts is all catch radius and straight line speed from a route tree, not tons of separation unless he is lined up at TE and a LB is covering him. Chase is a professional route runner, twitchy, great with curls, cuts and hooks as well as straight line speed and the deep ball. Separation due to his ability to disguise his movements and accelerate by defenders caught anticipating his movements based on what they believe to be body language signaling a certain direction. Like Pitts, he also has straight line speed, very tough at point of attack, and a strong willing blocker (both are more geared to handle safety, corner back blocks but Pitts can handle some linebackers due to his size).

I know you can't be afraid to pull triggers on guys that could help you just because the past is bleak, but I think the full package Chase brings to ther table is too enticing to pass up.

1) Immediate connection with Burrow.
2) Best WR in a decade to come out of college football (NCAA only because I know very good WR's are in the league from the last 10, IMHO)
3) Generates more revenue for the team
4) Brings more National attention to the Bengals with him and Burrow.
5) Tops off a position that Burrow likes throwing to, and makes it one of the best groups in all of pro football at that position.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the way our players pull up to training camp in ortho boots on a yearly basis, this would be our starting line and reserves at some point.
One more for good measure where Sewell goes 4th and I trade back to get value for Darrisaw - that allowed extra picks through the draft.

1619537924007.png

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could draft 7 offensive lineman, best at the time, and we would be lucky to get two starters, because most of the line is already set as long as health permits. Never know how guys are going to pan out, guy that may not pan out may be your first round pick (Obuehi and Price anyone?). So that is always a possibility too.

It is also important from an organizational standpoint to nab players that will become media darlings and entice networks to show Bengal games which earns more franchise fans, more money, etc. Burrow was one of those. I think Chase would be another one of those, probably Pitts too.

Where Chase separates himself from Pitts though, Pitts is all catch radius and straight line speed from a route tree, not tons of separation unless he is lined up at TE and a LB is covering him. Chase is a professional route runner, twitchy, great with curls, cuts and hooks as well as straight line speed and the deep ball. Separation due to his ability to disguise his movements and accelerate by defenders caught anticipating his movements based on what they believe to be body language signaling a certain direction. Like Pitts, he also has straight line speed, very tough at point of attack, and a strong willing blocker (both are more geared to handle safety, corner back blocks but Pitts can handle some linebackers due to his size).

I know you can't be afraid to pull triggers on guys that could help you just because the past is bleak, but I think the full package Chase brings to ther table is too enticing to pass up.

1) Immediate connection with Burrow.
2) Best WR in a decade to come out of college football (NCAA only because I know very good WR's are in the league from the last 10, IMHO)
3) Generates more revenue for the team
4) Brings more National attention to the Bengals with him and Burrow.
5) Tops off a position that Burrow likes throwing to, and makes it one of the best groups in all of pro football at that position.
Not going to argue about Chase the points are well made and everyone has their side. I don't think anyone is changing.

That being said: LOL @ your 3-5 which has nothing to do with anything on the field. Especially #5. You mean, QB's love to throw to WR's?!

I mean, DAMN ... Who knew?! Gonna revolutionize the damn game!!! Order the M'F'n rings now!

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more for good measure where Sewell goes 4th and I trade back to get value for Darrisaw - that allowed extra picks through the draft.

View attachment 269533
LOL Nice draft grade, unrealistic not only in the sense we would go that many oline (I know that was just you having fun with Dan's comment) but also that Carolina and Philly would give up their 1st this year, 1st next year and their 2nd this year to move up a couple spots. This site is obviously for fun, but its AI is highly unrealistic, especially regarding trades.

I do like several of those later round prospects though: Hutcherson, Dalman (your other draft on the other thread), Hudson (from your other draft post), etc. I think there can be talent to be had in those mid rounds.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to argue about Chase the points are well made and everyone has their side. I don't think anyone is changing.

That being said: LOL @ your 3-5 which has nothing to do with anything on the field. Especially #5. You mean, QB's love to throw to WR's?!

I mean, DAMN ... Who knew?! Gonna revolutionize the damn game!!! Order the M'F'n rings now!
Burrow threw to his WR's at a greater clip than most, because he didn't target his TE's and RB's as much. He seems to trust his WR's more in critical situations, than he does his other receiving options. I kow I worded that kind of funny, but that is all I was referring to. Burrow targets his WR's more than most QB's and like his 3 wide sets.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 269533

Well, we may need to line up a few Tackles at Tight end and make them eligible receivers, but that's ok. Burrow rather throw to WR, lol

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrow threw to his WR's at a greater clip than most, because he didn't target his TE's and RB's as much. He seems to trust his WR's more in critical situations, than he does his other receiving options. I kow I worded that kind of funny, but that is all I was referring to. Burrow targets his WR's more than most QB's and like his 3 wide sets.
Maybe it would help to have an elite TE - sounds like you're making a case to add a TE like Pitts. Welcome aboard the train! lol

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Nice draft grade, unrealistic not only in the sense we would go that many oline (I know that was just you having fun with Dan's comment) but also that Carolina and Philly would give up their 1st this year, 1st next year and their 2nd this year to move up a couple spots. This site is obviously for fun, but its AI is highly unrealistic, especially regarding trades.

I do like several of those later round prospects though: Hutcherson, Dalman (your other draft on the other thread), Hudson (from your other draft post), etc. I think there can be talent to be had in those mid rounds.
Right - was just having some fun with an all OL draft.