• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lets Talk About LSU's defense (or lack there of)

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ this thread full of Ohio State fans.

"...but, but, but... they're defense! What about their defense?"

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a major disappointment that the nation was robbed of a matchup of the true top two teams. Hopefully Fields doesn't get injured late in the season in 2020 and we can avoid this.

If Ohio State was better than Clemson they would have beaten them. They didn't. The 2 top teams did play for the title last night.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's clear in today's game that you have to have one of the best offenses in the country if you want to win. It helps to have a great defense, but when it comes to these elite games against the best teams; they're going to score 20-30 points still even in a loss. The days where "defense wins championships" are over.

You have to realize though, this was unlike other seasons. While I do think offense is taking over, I still believe the best defense ultimately will win a championship most years...don't get me wrong, you need an explosive spread offense though to win one for sure. It is definitely taking another path but I feel this year was unlike others.

The last couple years we saw those teams have very nice offenses but dominant defenses winning it all ultimately.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since this thread LSU gave up 6 points to Arkansas(14 were garbage), 7 to Texas A&M, 10 to UGA, 28 to OU and 25 to Clemson. Given the amount of possessions in the OU and Clemson games the defense actually played great those games. Down the stretch this was the best defense in CFB.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Ohio State was better than Clemson they would have beaten them. They didn't. The 2 top teams did play for the title last night.
Injured Fields that took away one of the most dangerous elements of our offense. Injured Dobbins. Ejected Wade. Two dropped TD passes. An incorrectly called incompletion that took away a TD. An incorrectly called running into the kicker that extended a drive that ended in a TD. A WR that ran the wrong route on what would've been another TD. Oh, and all of this:

And they barely escaped by 6 points. I'd take a fully healthy 2019 OSU over a fully healthy 2019 Clemson any day of the week. And I am far from being alone on this.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injured Fields that took away one of the most dangerous elements of our offense. Injured Dobbins. Ejected Wade. Two dropped TD passes. An incorrectly called incompletion that took away a TD. An incorrectly called running into the kicker that extended a drive that ended in a TD. A WR that ran the wrong route on what would've been another TD. Oh, and all of this:

And they barely escaped by 6 points. I'd take a fully healthy 2019 OSU over a fully healthy 2019 Clemson any day of the week. And I am far from being alone on this.

I never have or never will use the injury excuse. Injuries happen, it's part of the game. And if the Buckeyes were truly the better team that game they wouldn't have gotten outscored 29-7 after having that 16-0 lead.

Nat Mann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
402 rushing yards is 402 rushing yards. tOSU or Clemson will beat them handily.

How'd that work out?

Saying that LSU has a bad defense because they gave up a bunch of yards to a phenomenally fast QB in one game shows too much focus on fantasy football stats and not enough perspective of the big picture.

LSU held Clemson to 0 points in the last 25:49 of the game, and that's what counts.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You know my feelings about OSU’s team this year (I think it is the best OSU team they’ve ever had), but seeing a post like this does make laugh.

I remember a team a few years ago with the same type of arguments and OSU fans saying — one play doesn’t change a game, the refs got it right, and refs miss calls on both sides.

Maybe it was Karma catching up to OSU?!?:behindsofa:

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How'd that work out?

Saying that LSU has a bad defense because they gave up a bunch of yards to a phenomenally fast QB in one game shows too much focus on fantasy football stats and not enough perspective of the big picture.

LSU held Clemson to 0 points in the last 25:49 of the game, and that's what counts.

Worked out well for me, since I was for LSU and already posted a thread stating I was wrong. But by all means, continue to dazzle me with your insights.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. Florida gave LSU a better game.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. Florida gave LSU a better game.
But Florida couldn’t handle Georgia so they screwed themselves out of the chance at a rematch.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know my feelings about OSU’s team this year (I think it is the best OSU team they’ve ever had), but seeing a post like this does make laugh.

I remember a team a few years ago with the same type of arguments and OSU fans saying — one play doesn’t change a game, the refs got it right, and refs miss calls on both sides.

Maybe it was Karma catching up to OSU?!?:behindsofa:
We aren't really talking about "one play" here, are we?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never have or never will use the injury excuse. Injuries happen, it's part of the game. And if the Buckeyes were truly the better team that game they wouldn't have gotten outscored 29-7 after having that 16-0 lead.
So you're saying Justin Fields' injury played absolutely no part whatsoever in his abilities and he could not have played any better if he was fully healthy? Just want to make sure you answer this exact question.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying Justin Fields' injury played absolutely no part whatsoever in his abilities and he could not have played any better if he was fully healthy? Just want to make sure you answer this exact question.

All I said was I'll never use the injury excuse because injuries are part of the game. I already said that once. But for some odd reason you decided to create your own reality & try to claim I said something I haven't for no other reason than you have an issue with what I said.

Don't be such a homer. Ohio State lost. Get over it. There are more important things in life than being upset about the outcome of that game.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I said was I'll never use the injury excuse because injuries are part of the game. I already said that once. But for some odd reason you decided to create your own reality & try to claim I said something I haven't for no other reason than you have an issue with what I said.

Don't be such a homer. Ohio State lost. Get over it. There are more important things in life than being upset about the outcome of that game.
Again - are you saying Justin Fields' knee being injured didn't inhibit his ability to his job that night in any capacity? Seriously? A guy who was averaging almost 50 yards rushing per game before injuring his knee, that didn't change anything?

I understand injuries are part of the game. My point was, it wasn't one or two things. It was over a dozen things that Clemson didn't do themselves that had to happen for them to escape by 6. If you care to objectively tell me how all of those things somehow didn't affect the outcome of the game, be my guest. OSU at 100% was better this year than Clemson 100%, and if anything, that game proved it.

Turn things around, give Lawrence a knee injury that zapped his running ability, Etienne getting injured, one of their best defensive players getting ejected, having them drop multiple TD passes, and OSU getting myriad of favorable botched calls, and I firmly believe we beat them by significantly more than 6.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How'd that work out?

Spot. Freakin. On.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again - are you saying Justin Fields' knee being injured didn't inhibit his ability to his job that night in any capacity? Seriously? A guy who was averaging almost 50 yards rushing per game before injuring his knee, that didn't change anything?

I understand injuries are part of the game. My point was, it wasn't one or two things. It was over a dozen things that Clemson didn't do themselves that had to happen for them to escape by 6. If you care to objectively tell me how all of those things somehow didn't affect the outcome of the game, be my guest. OSU at 100% was better this year than Clemson 100%, and if anything, that game proved it.

Turn things around, give Lawrence a knee injury that zapped his running ability, Etienne getting injured, one of their best defensive players getting ejected, having them drop multiple TD passes, and OSU getting myriad of favorable botched calls, and I firmly believe we beat them by significantly more than 6.
Burrow may have cracked a rib or two

he manned up and played through it, executed when he needed to

GTFO with your whining about injuries and deal with the fact that you couldn't beat clemson