• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lets Talk About LSU's defense (or lack there of)

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing the offenses...... virtual tie. but who else on the offense do you hear about besides our bench warmer? no one. meanwhile OSU is stacked with weapons. Fields is only one of them.

Defense? we're talking 23.8 pts per game allowed vs. 9.8 pts per game allowed. Defense might be the decider in this one. OSU has only allowed 98 pts the entire season......

and I don't know how anyone can defend the yards they gave up to ole miss...... I'm sure someone will try. holy crap. 600+ total yards?

So OSU should be more worried about Duke's defense......... lmao.
Out of those 98 points giving up by the defense, how many were giving up by our starters vs bench players?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of those 98 points giving up by the defense, how many were giving up by our starters vs bench players?

I'd attribute at least 28 to mostly the backups. 14 vs Rutgers and the 14 vs Maryland.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd attribute at least 28 to mostly the backups. 14 vs Rutgers and the 14 vs Maryland.
Kind of what I was getting at. Our defense is actually better than what the numbers show. Anyway, the starters will play a full game from here on out. They can show the world and make a bigger statement on the national stage starting Saturday vs the Lions.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust me I know a bad defense when I see it, they are bad.

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tenor.gif

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kinda crazy giving up that much rushing yardage to ole miss

they don't really throw the ball well, so it's not like it was a surprise

really weird to watch this decline in our D

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also funny watching the sooner and buckeye fans trying to pile on considering we beat both of you for our most recent national championships

:hammer:

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i looked at that too.
Only considering the first half of all games when all starters are in.....

38 total points in 10 games
3.8 points per game in the first half.....

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hell, even your 4* - 5* backups should be able to shut down Rutgers and a bunch of turtles!

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kinda crazy giving up that much rushing yardage to ole miss

they don't really throw the ball well, so it's not like it was a surprise

really weird to watch this decline in our D
Ain't you guys playing big money to the DC?

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i looked at that too.
Only considering the first half of all games when all starters are in.....

38 total points in 10 games
3.8 points per game in the first half.....

That's pretty sweet. Clemson's given up 3.5 points per game in the first half (2.5 per game outside of UNC). LSU allows 10.7 points per game in the first half, more than Clemson and Ohio State give up per game. I think LSU is a really good team that has a shot at the championship. However, looking at the team, they seem to look like Oklahoma the past few years. Excellent offenses with bad defenses. I don't know you can win both playoff games with such an imbalance. Look at the stats:

• Ohio State: #1 Scoring Offense, #4 Total Offense, #1 Scoring Defense, #1 Total Defense, #2 First Downs Offense, #2 First Downs Defense, #3 Turnovers Gained
  • Clemson: #5 Scoring Offense, #3 Total Offense, #3 Scoring Defense, #2 Total Defense, #1 First Downs Offense, #1 First Downs Defense, #2 Turnovers Gained
  • LSU: #2 Scoring Offense, #2 Total Offense, #44 Scoring Defense, #47 Total Defense, #4 First Downs Offense, #41 First Downs Defense, #56 Turnovers Gained
All three offenses are really close but LSU's defense is a major outlier. There's also an issue with balance on offense. Clemson and Ohio State are both top 10 rushing attacks in yards and top 5 in yards per carry, averaging 6.65 and 6.15 yards per carry, respectively. They're also top 15 in passing yards per attempt. LSU has a fantastic passing game, rated #2 nationally and #4 in passing yards per attempt. However, they're #60 in rushing, and only average 4.63 yards per carry (again around 60th nationally). Burrow is awesome, but if Clemson's and Ohio State's secondaries can slow him down, can LSU win running the ball? Because Clemson and Ohio State can if they succeed doing that against Lawrence or Fields. Right now, while LSU has been really impressive, I do think they have the third best chance to win it all.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does one bookmark a post?

If I’m wrong, I will gladly acknowledge it with my own thread. I will pull for LSU against either, but I think the result will be similar to Bama/CU last year. This LSU defense just isn’t good, especially relative to the likes of tOSU and CU.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After allowing fucking 400! rushing yards and over 600 total yards to Ole Miss, LSUs total defense now sits ranked 47th in the country.....sandwiched between Duke and South Florida.

Anyone else get 2005 USC vibes? Great offense, but pretty dog shit defense.

As pathetic as those stats read on paper... Watching the game, the defense looked even worse.

I have no dog in the fight, but as a college football fan, I was appalled that a team ranked #1 in the country could have a defense THAT bad. We're talking Bowling Green bad.

I give them credit for being #1 and undefeated in the toughest conference in the country. The offense is obviously tremendous. But regardless of the offense, they won't make the national championship game with the defense I saw Saturday.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are still top 20 in efficiency. Which given their offense is more than enough to win it all. Alot of their opponents are scoring when the game is out of hand. They only gave up 7, 10, 13 and 7 respectively against Texas, Auburn, Alabama and Ole Miss in the 1st halves. I think there is something to be said for taking your gas off the pedal.

i hate when people make excuses for giving up points in the 2nd half of games. They wont win it all playing defense for a half (leading or not)

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also funny watching the sooner and buckeye fans trying to pile on considering we beat both of you for our most recent national championships

:hammer:

lol. funny how people think history somehow makes a point on a current season and reality.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As pathetic as those stats read on paper... Watching the game, the defense looked even worse.

I have no dog in the fight, but as a college football fan, I was appalled that a team ranked #1 in the country could have a defense THAT bad. We're talking Bowling Green bad.

I give them credit for being #1 and undefeated in the toughest conference in the country. The offense is obviously tremendous. But regardless of the offense, they won't make the national championship game with the defense I saw Saturday.

This is why objectively I think OSU is more deserving of #1......

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty sweet. Clemson's given up 3.5 points per game in the first half (2.5 per game outside of UNC). LSU allows 10.7 points per game in the first half, more than Clemson and Ohio State give up per game. I think LSU is a really good team that has a shot at the championship. However, looking at the team, they seem to look like Oklahoma the past few years. Excellent offenses with bad defenses. I don't know you can win both playoff games with such an imbalance. Look at the stats:

• Ohio State: #1 Scoring Offense, #4 Total Offense, #1 Scoring Defense, #1 Total Defense, #2 First Downs Offense, #2 First Downs Defense, #3 Turnovers Gained
  • Clemson: #5 Scoring Offense, #3 Total Offense, #3 Scoring Defense, #2 Total Defense, #1 First Downs Offense, #1 First Downs Defense, #2 Turnovers Gained
  • LSU: #2 Scoring Offense, #2 Total Offense, #44 Scoring Defense, #47 Total Defense, #4 First Downs Offense, #41 First Downs Defense, #56 Turnovers Gained
All three offenses are really close but LSU's defense is a major outlier. There's also an issue with balance on offense. Clemson and Ohio State are both top 10 rushing attacks in yards and top 5 in yards per carry, averaging 6.65 and 6.15 yards per carry, respectively. They're also top 15 in passing yards per attempt. LSU has a fantastic passing game, rated #2 nationally and #4 in passing yards per attempt. However, they're #60 in rushing, and only average 4.63 yards per carry (again around 60th nationally). Burrow is awesome, but if Clemson's and Ohio State's secondaries can slow him down, can LSU win running the ball? Because Clemson and Ohio State can if they succeed doing that against Lawrence or Fields. Right now, while LSU has been really impressive, I do think they have the third best chance to win it all.

^ great analysis. :suds:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I dropped them to 3rd in my most recent top 25. Offensively they are no doubt in the top tier in the nation. However, their defense could be a major issue for them. Facing balanced offenses like OSU or Clemson will give them fits. Bama has an elite passing game, but they aren't good running the football somehow, even with all those high-end RB recruits. Florida and Auburn have pretty mediocre offenses, and Texas is even worse at running the ball than Bama.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hate when people make excuses for giving up points in the 2nd half of games. They wont win it all playing defense for a half (leading or not)

It's not making an excuse. There is a reason efficiency numbers tell the better story than points given up. Admittedly they didn't look good against ole Miss, but the game was never in doubt.