• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let's Play NFL GM

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever thought that if it were your job, you could do pretty well as GM of your team? I have and even though I am most likely wrong, if I were in a total control situation I am almost positive my team (the Titans) would do better this season than they will with the status quo. I am especially critical of our draft picks.

So let's pretend we're the GM. What would your major moves have been over the last ten years? And notice that none of mine are "in hindsight" picks. It's what I would have done at the time.

I'll go first.

1.) I would have begged Jeff Fisher to sign a lifetime contract with the franchise. Instead they alienated him and ultimately forced him out.

2.) I would have picked Jay Cutler instead of Vince Young. And Jeff Fisher agrees. Jeff told them not to pick Vince, that he was mentally incapable of learning the playbook and had personality issues. They didn't listen. We would have won a SB in '09 with Jay Cutler.

3.) I would never have picked a QB with the #8 pick, especially Jake Locker. I would have chosen Nick Fairley or Tyron Smith.

4.) I would have fired the head coach (after the week 14 loss to the Colts) and defensive coordinator (after week 5 when we set all-time records for defensive futility and no one ever accepted accountability for it). Instead our 117 yr old owner had the brilliant idea to bring Munchak back with minutes of the regular season ending without exploring any of the options available. We could have Lovie Smith or Norv Turner here but instead we have a head coach who probably isn't qualified to be the OL coach for most NFL teams. Absolutely un-fuckin-believable!!!

5.) I would have released Chris Johnson before the last roster bonus.

6.) I would never have released LeGarrett Blount. He would have been my Smash 'n Dash back with CJ.

7.) I would never have used first-round draft picks on 5' 10" WRs. My philosophy would have been to take the best-available DL or OL and I'd rely on veteran QBs who would stand behind the best OL in all of football. We're not in a position to be making first-round draft picks that shock all the experts and fans.

8.) I would rely more on versatile TE sets and emulate a Antonio Gates style attack with Jared Cook. Instead? We fucking gave him away.

We'll known by Game 8 if Jake Locker will match the hype that the Titans are spewing, in my opinion in an attempt to sell season tickets. I am excited and will be pulling for him to make unprecedented throwing accuracy improvements that the experts say are impossible.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) I would have not signed Tim Tebow

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
49ers (and this is stuff I said before it all happened):

Would've taken Wilfork over Rashaun Woods. Even started a W_I_L_F_O_R_K thread on draft day in '04. Man I was pissed.

Would've drafted Orakpo over Crabtree.

Would've drafted Janoris Jenkins or Cordy Glenn instead of AJ Jenkins .

Would've tried to have traded down in 2010 instead of taking Anthony Davis. There were a ton of later-round prospects I liked that year.

Would've tried to have signed Darius Heyward Bey long-term this offseason.

I thought Terry Donahue was the worst GM in history & hated almost everything he did. Didn't love boozehound Scott McCloughan, but he wasn't terrible. I've REALY liked the moves Baalke has mnade (Aldon Smith, the '13 draft, etc). There were a ton of moves I liked & disliked, but these are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly can't make all that long of a list of moves I disliked at the time. I wanted woodhead gone earlier and they reached a bit for a d back or two, but for the most part we're pretty well managed.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I honestly can't make all that long of a list of moves I disliked at the time. I wanted woodhead gone earlier and they reached a bit for a d back or two, but for the most part we're pretty well managed.

The only move Belichick made that I thought was an absolute blunder was trading Richard Seymour. I think that move may have cost him a 4th SB.

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that in terms of scouting, I would have been good. A lot of players I have been high on in the draft ended up being studs. Of course I liked some busts as well, but most of my "guys" end up being all pros. These are typically players that aren't as hyped up as well. I will say that projecting QBs is pretty hard to do though, so many factors.

I think that I have a good feel for my team as well, where we are weak and how to improve.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know the details of that rift.

I do know I would rather make that move and make it clear that no one is bigger than the team than let him destroy the chemistry. If he was unhappy enough he could have just as easily done enough to prevent the team from gelling and getting there in the first place.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Cowboys fan where do I start from 1995 till now ?

to long to list :(