• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Leighton Vander Esch

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew it! Posted it here a month ago and then again yesterday. That said, I hate this pick. LVE is soft. I hate to write a guy off before he's even played a down, but just watch the game tape of LVE. This guy shies away from contact at every opportunity.

I hope he is the next Urlacher, but I think LVE will be closer to the next Barbie Carpenter.

Hate it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I've said for a few years these scouts have earned my trust and they were very happy to get him. I'm sure they watched a lot more tape than you or I and came away feeling pretty strongly about him. So, I hope you are wrong on this one. Time will tell. Personally I'm going to sleep with a smile. After what I saw last year when Lee was down and even when Hitchens wasn't around was horrible. I think we look back in 6 months and are happy.:suds:

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I've said for a few years these scouts have earned my trust and they were very happy to get him. I'm sure they watched a lot more tape than you or I and came away feeling pretty strongly about him. So, I hope you are wrong on this one. Time will tell. Personally I'm going to sleep with a smile. After what I saw last year when Lee was down and even when Hitchens wasn't around was horrible. I think we look back in 6 months and are happy.:suds:

The East just got rich in RB that put up yardage. I am hopeful that LVE will be our counter to Barkley cause if not we are in big trouble.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't he kill Natalie Holloway in Aruba?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No doubt the front office has earned the benefit of the doubt. I'm not pretending I know more than they do. But I do know what I saw when I watched LVE play, and that shit won't fly at the NFL level. Olinemen will eat LVE's lunch unless he toughens up and starts delivering some hits to these guys instead trying to "catch" them and allow opposing blockers to get into his chest. It's either that or LVE tries to go around would be blockers which he is very prone to do, and he takes himself out of the play or goes backwards far too often.

Once the guy is blocked, he stays blocked. In all the game tape I watched on him, not one single time did I see him blow a blocker up in the hole - certainly possible I just didn't see it when it happened, but even if it did there are not a lot of examples. This guy couldn't even blow up RBs in the hole - LVE got stone walled by just about every blocker I watched him take on. Seriously concerning to me.

Last edited:

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt the front office has earned the benefit of the doubt. I'm not pretending I know more than they do. But I do know what I saw when I watched LVE play, and that shit won't fly at the NFL level. Olinemen will eat LVE's lunch unless he toughens up and starts delivering some hits to these guys instead trying to "catch" them and allow opposing blockers to get into his chest. It's either that or LVE tries to go around would be blockers which he is very prone to do, and he takes himself out of the play or goes backwards far too often.

Once the guy is blocked, he stays blocked. In all the game tape I watched on him, not one single time did I see him blow a blocker up in the hole - certainly possible I just didn't see it when it happened, but even if it did there are not a lot of examples. This guy couldn't even blow up RBs in the hole - LVE got stone walled by just about every blocker I watched him take on. Seriously concerning to me.
My concern is his competition, but we will see. I trust the scouts.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concern is his competition, but we will see. I trust the scouts.

I'm trying my best to reserve judgement on the guy, but I can't deny that I think this guy has bust written all over him.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel underwhelmed but don't know that much about him.

Hoping he's a version of Sean Lee that doesn't get hurt.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel underwhelmed but don't know that much about him.

Hoping he's a version of Sean Lee that doesn't get hurt.

I'm hoping right along with you. I just don't see it though. Hoping like hell I'm wrong.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If nothing else it seems this makes our pass defense much, much better. Smith was a disaster dropping into a zone. He had no idea what was going on, followed guys instead of anticipating and even when he saw something didn't have the lateral movement to get there. Ideally Smith takes a step forward and moves to the strong side and we play Smith, Vander Esch and Lee. I said from day one this is the year to judge Smith so I will give him another year to show what he is. Even If LVE does have trouble shedding blocks he seems to have the instincts and quickness to still be an impact player.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If nothing else it seems this makes our pass defense much, much better. Smith was a disaster dropping into a zone. He had no idea what was going on, followed guys instead of anticipating and even when he saw something didn't have the lateral movement to get there. Ideally Smith takes a step forward and moves to the strong side and we play Smith, Vander Esch and Lee. I said from day one this is the year to judge Smith so I will give him another year to show what he is. Even If LVE does have trouble shedding blocks he seems to have the instincts and quickness to still be an impact player.

Vander Esch definitely has some nice traits to his game. His awareness in coverage seems to be a huge plus, and he's a great athlete for sure. I think he would be much better suited as a WLB than a MLB though. I'm concerned LVE is a little too passive for the position the Cowboys seemingly want him to play.

Drafting LVE seems to push J.Smith to base defense situations only. Right out of the gate I think LVE is a much better defender in pass coverage than Smith. Jaylon definitely has a lot to prove this year.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming shedding blockers is a teachable trait.

Yes, I would assume you're correct. But is aggression a teachable trait? JMO but LVE needs a lot more "nastiness" to his game.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK about this pick. I's this Barbie Carpenter part 2? Now I do think he is a much better athlete than barbie. I am not going to hold back: not real happy and if I was gm I pick Evans over LVE. the main concern I have is LVE is not very physical. The one thing I notice is he is great in coverage and does force turnovers. I hope LVE proves me wrong. Cowboys need to trade up for Sutton or Kirk in round 2

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you determine if a player is soft? Doesn't make sense to me.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In the end, that's where I fall on the pick. I'm putting my trust in Will McClay and his guys on this one. He's earned that latitude.

Reactions: GNG