• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Larry Foote talks about Stafford

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else happen to catch this on 97.1 yesterday? I need to find it and post it.

found it.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/02/07/larry-foote-thinks-matthew-stafford-is-underpaid/

“Let me jump back on this Matthew Stafford, Foote said, “cuz you guys are giving me some crap.”
“Would the Houston Texans right now give Matthew Stafford a raise to come down there? Yes, would Jacksonville Jaguars give him a pay raise to come down there? Yes. Would Cleveland Browns … make him the highest paid player. To get a quarterback in Cleveland they would overpay him. Minnesota? Yes."

Foote went on to defend his opinion, making what many listeners thought were some good points.
“There’s teams that would go crazy for Matthew Stafford like that,” he said, adding “His talent, Lions fans trust me, this man is legit, especially if you grew up in this town with the Mitchells, Peete and qbs in and out. Matthew Stafford is a stud — 5000 yards!"

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not really the stuff I wanted to point out that he said about Stafford, but he praised him quite a bit. He said fans take for granted things like stats, pointing out that only 4 other guys have ever thrown for 5000 yards in a season. He said Stafford isn't top 5 but he's bottom of the top 10. I'll try to find the whole thing. So far no luck.

ShadowJ20

I'm Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess he sees things that we don't.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Lombardi says he's not an Interception Machine. Good PR week for the 26 year old I guess.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Realist, Stafford is legit....Sorry for Stafford haters, I'm all about the Cornbread and Kool-Aid when it comes to Matty.

Tons of things to bitch about on this team, I just don't have it in me to bash Matty....

Wanna talk David Akers? I'm on board for the Lion bashing, he's the next Ryan Raburn, he sucks monkey turds.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, people are over critical on Stafford. He needs some work but he is legit. This year showed me how irrational people really are.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford can still be top 5. He needs to straighten out his footwork and stop forcing the ball. Better decision making would help too. Pull the ball down and run or throw it away more often.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foote was saying "To make Matt elite, all you got to do is run the ball more, and punt. Just like Madden. Anyone who plays Madden knows the more you throw, the more bad things happen. Run the ball more, punt and trust in your defense." That's not an exact quote but damn close. Makes sense to me. Look at the Giants game. Up w 5 min to go and LineMartz is throwing it. Prime example.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three things can happen when you pass the ball and two of em are bad. - Woody Hayes.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing the way Detroit did this year causes these type of arguments.

Stafford isn't as bad as the end to season and he would probably been a pro bowl QB this year if he had a legit #2. I think when he tries to do to much as he did when CJ was banged up his mechanics suffer. I would add there Bengals in on the teams that would love to have Stafford and they made the playoffs.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three things can happen when you pass the ball and two of em are bad. - Woody Hayes.

With that logic, just stack the box because 66% of the time they will run.......I always wondered how Michigan beat them for so many years back in the day.:laugh3:

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Realist, Stafford is legit....Sorry for Stafford haters, I'm all about the Cornbread and Kool-Aid when it comes to Matty.

Tons of things to bitch about on this team, I just don't have it in me to bash Matty....

Wanna talk David Akers? I'm on board for the Lion bashing, he's the next Ryan Raburn, he sucks monkey turds.

Dude, you know what you are talking about...but how are you saying anything good about anything the lions have or do? I was under the impression you were just a negative pessimist.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, people are over critical on Stafford. He needs some work but he is legit. This year showed me how irrational people really are.

Stafford definitely deserves the criticism. He was pretty awful, period. Yeah, it didnt help his receivers dropped so many passes but he also had a great oline, CJ and bush. The lioms front office has done alot to give stafford the weapons he needs to develop into a stud, and now he just needs to do it. People have the right to be overly critical of him after his performance. I am on your side though, I believe staff will be elite in the next couple of years, I do not believe however that the lions need to waste a top ten pick on a wr or te to make stafford better. Great quarterbacks make their offense better, not the other way around.

Valion78

SportsHoopla Noob
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford definitely deserves the criticism. He was pretty awful, period. Yeah, it didnt help his receivers dropped so many passes but he also had a great oline, CJ and bush. The lioms front office has done alot to give stafford the weapons he needs to develop into a stud, and now he just needs to do it. People have the right to be overly critical of him after his performance. I am on your side though, I believe staff will be elite in the next couple of years, I do not believe however that the lions need to waste a top ten pick on a wr or te to make stafford better. Great quarterbacks make their offense better, not the other way around.

He may not need a receiver taken at pick 10, but he needs someone better than Burleson, Durham, etc. CJ can't do it all. Bush needs to step his game up as well. The Lions are defended the same way over and over. Opponents prevent the deep pass and make the Lions grind out long drives. We hardly get scores on drives that only take a few plays. A better #2 could change that.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, you know what you are talking about...but how are you saying anything good about anything the lions have or do? I was under the impression you were just a negative pessimist.

Awwh Shucks, you must of heard something from one of the Kool-Aid guys talking bad about me.

Love me some Stafford......Team still sucks, but fandom has no boundrys and I have to watch and follow them regardless of the ineptitude.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you go back and actually look at Staffords game logs, you see a better picture, imo. This is my belief of the true Stafford story....

In 2011, in his first 8 games, he threw 19 TDs to only 4 Picks. Those are elite numbers. He was accurate and made great decisions. Then he hurt a finger on his throwing hand and that had an effect, as it would with any QB in the NFL. In the next four games, playing with gloves on and the injured finger, he had 8 more TDs and 10 picks! Then his finger had healed enough and he settled back down. In the last four games Stafford threw 14 TDs and only 2 picks.

Any way you twist it that year, when he was healthy, he was truly elite. In the games he was healthy he had a total of 33 TDs and only 6 picks inside of 12 games.

Then in the next season there was a change. Not to his play necessarily, but more in the schemes DC's used against him. They started dropping back two safeties to take away the big play. However, there was something that never changed. The Lions play calling. No adjustments were made to counter the defensive scheme and Stafford looked average at best. I blame this on the coaches rather than Stafford. Whenh a defense adjusts to stop the plays you are calling and you continue to try and fit the round peg into the square hole by calling the same plays every week, I cannot blame the QB because he couldnt do the impossible.

Then the Lions finally countered that scheme by adding Reggie Bush. A speedster who forced the defenses to play honest with the safeties. In the first 7 games, Stafford was back to his elite play by throwing 15 TDs and only 4 picks. Then something else happened. Or shall I say that the same thing happened again. His coaches showed no ability to make adjustments. In the second half of last year, two different players from opposing teams made comments towards how the Lions were using the same plays as they did in the first half and they could see what was happening. Because the defenses started reading plays, and the Lions coaches would not make any adjustments, Stafford stopped looking good. He started throwing more picks. When he did make good passes, his WRs dropped passes. Bush started fumbling more. Stafford became frustrated and began forcing more. Trying to do too much. Taking more chances. He threw 13 TDs and 15 picks inside of 8 games.

I dont blame him so much for that. Especially after watching the Super Bowl. That game confirmed to me something I have always believed. Seattles defense was awesome that game. Denver's WRs were not good. Manning started forcing things and he looked average at best. Even the best QBs ever, need to be put in a place where they CAN succeed in order to succeed. In those eight games, Stafford was not placed in a place where any QB would have succeeded. If defenses are able to read the plays because the team never makes adjustments, and WRs dont hold onto the ball, no QB will look good.

When Stafford is healthy and the play calling is decent, he is elite. He still doesnt have great footwork or technique because he is a slinger, but he is talented enough to get away with it when he is given the right situation. But if you break his fingers or put him in impossible circumstances, he will fail (just like any QB would). THe difference is that people will then point to his mechanics and blame that, where they cant do the same with Manning who has spectacular mechanics.

I am not saying Stafford is as good as Manning. I am saying that Stafford has the ability to be elite when put in the right situation. In the times Stafford has been bad, I dont believe even Manning would have looked great. now he has new coaches. Coaches who should have more innovative minds. I expect us to see the good sidfe of Stafford back next season and that Stafford is worth his pay.

ShadowJ20

I'm Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont blame him so much for that. Especially after watching the Super Bowl. That game confirmed to me something I have always believed. Seattles defense was awesome that game. Denver's WRs were not good. Manning started forcing things and he looked average at best. Even the best QBs ever, need to be put in a place where they CAN succeed in order to succeed. In those eight games, Stafford was not placed in a place where any QB would have succeeded. If defenses are able to read the plays because the team never makes adjustments, and WRs dont hold onto the ball, no QB will look good.

Lions beat the Seattle in 2012. :)

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Stafford is healthy and the play calling is decent, he is elite. He still doesnt have great footwork or technique because he is a slinger, but he is talented enough to get away with it when he is given the right situation. But if you break his fingers or put him in impossible circumstances, he will fail (just like any QB would). THe difference is that people will then point to his mechanics and blame that, where they cant do the same with Manning who has spectacular mechanics.

Everyone points to Stafford's footwork but he has a lot more to work on than that. He needs to work not only on his deep ball,but also needs to work on leading receivers and velocity in certain situations. There is a reason the Lions are always top 5 in dropped passes, last year they lead the league.