• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Larry Dierker's 50 Yrs With Astros Ends Bitterly

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it is. It really is. Especially considering how low the franchise has been for a few years. If you're a fan of the Astros you might be feeling a little disenfranchised already with their recent record and something like this doesn't help that.

I'm not familiar with his radio or tv delivery, so I don't know how much of a factor that was in the decision by ownership.

One of the provisions of the contract he declined to sign included studio appearances on CSN, but he said he was not interested in the tedium of pregame work, hanging around to watch the game and commenting afterward.

"To me, that's a job for a kid getting started. It's not a job for me," he said. "It's like going to the minor leagues."

Given his stature with the team, I can kind of see his viewpoint. Most pregame and postgame analysis from the markets I can remember seem to have some up-and-coming young analyst doing that. I guess it depends on how extensive and involved those two facets of covering the game are.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that management would recognize the importance of a guy like this and keep him the most upbeat, positive Ambassador they possibly could for the sake of stability in tumultuous times, if nothing else. A nasty divorce with a life-longer like Larry Dierker is not something they need. I'm sure he feels very bitter (as he admitted) right now.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Trade Rumors is reporting the following.

After announcing the departure of team president George Postolos this week, Astros owner Jim Crane reached out to one of the most beloved figures in club history in Larry Dierker, writes Jose de Jesus Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle. For his part, the 66-year-old is definitely open to returning to the organization.