• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lane Kiffin bringing in talent to FAU

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just curious because Lane is somewhat of a lightning rod and going up against Navy is the ultimate challenge in player discipline. They'll have more talent than Navy, I'm almost positive, especially adding a player who was supposed to be Pitt's best D-lineman this year and a former 5 star at LB who are eligible right away.

I think taking on transfer is a great way to build a program, especially in his first off season.

Most teams probably have "more talent" than Navy

But that has not stopped Navy from winning at least 8 games in 13 of the last 14 years.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he's got a former FSU QB commit throwing to a former Texas WR commit and former Florida WR commit. A school like FAU rarely gets that type of talent(I'm assuming all 3 are eligible this season, but I don't know). Their opener against Navy really, really intrigues me.
I'm not sure who the Florida WR was. But I remember reading he signed the former FSU QB. That was caught on tape and removed from the team for punching a girl in a bar. I believe the former Texas WR was suspended indefinitely for substance abuse. May be a last chance U thing Kiffin has going on. Could work out for him on the field. If he can get these kids to turn it around

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most teams probably have "more talent" than Navy

But that has not stopped Navy from winning at least 8 games in 13 of the last 14 years.

Agreed, Navy is extremely well coached, and they get the most out of their talent they have. Navy has turned themselves into a top 35 program under Paul Johnson and now Ken Niumatalolo.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure who the Florida WR was. But I remember reading he signed the former FSU QB. That was caught on tape and removed from the team for punching a girl in a bar. I believe the former Texas WR was suspended indefinitely for substance abuse. May be a last chance U thing Kiffin has going on. Could work out for him on the field. If he can get these kids to turn it around

Yeah that does seem to be the case. The DT from Pitt was dismissed from the team in April.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, Navy is extremely well coached, and they get the most out of their talent they have. Navy has turned themselves into a top 35 program under Paul Johnson and now Ken Niumatalolo.

I'd be surprised if FAU beats them.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that does seem to be the case. The DT from Pitt was dismissed from the team in April.
That's how it looks to me too. I can't say I liked Kiffin as a coach. But he may have found a niche he could work at FAU. It's a risk tho.He could wind up with a competitive FAU team. But it could also be a nightmare. I'm not seeing FAU beating Navy tho

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should we go ahead and award the Fulmer Trophy to FAU? You know it's coming.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call it talent but interesting to say the least.

2 of the NFL's worst people ever had kids. they are both going to FAU

Terrell owens kid and warren sapp's kid

LongTimeSooner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call it talent but interesting to say the least.

2 of the NFL's worst people ever had kids. they are both going to FAU

Terrell owens kid and warren sapp's kid
with each other? interesting.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But not as actual recruits, as like JUCO transfers. His actual recruiting class is meh and, you know, he's not a good head coach. He had plenty of 4 and 5 star recruits at USC.

Lane Kiffin was the head coach at USC during their NCAA penalties with limited scholarships etc. He actually did a really good job in keeping USC relevant during that time with the way he handled scholarships and such. Which is probably part of what killed him, as the expectations never left and he couldn't keep his mouth shut while not meeting them after a few years.

And people can say what they want, but they haven't had a better coach since then. But I appreciate all the years they paid him to be OC at Alabama.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lane Kiffin was the head coach at USC during their NCAA penalties with limited scholarships etc. He actually did a really good job in keeping USC relevant during that time with the way he handled scholarships and such. Which is probably part of what killed him, as the expectations never left and he couldn't keep his mouth shut while not meeting them after a few years.

And people can say what they want, but they haven't had a better coach since then. But I appreciate all the years they paid him to be OC at Alabama.
They've screwed up coaching searches since Carroll left. Sure, they had sanctions but lets be real here. Kiffen had the #3, #3, #8 and #13 classes while he was there; even with those punishments. They had 10 five star players in those 4 classes. He underachieved dramatically given the kind of talent USC brings in. Not to mention, without looking I bet the classes before him under Carroll were equally as ridiculous. USC was basically Bama at that time, they were the team to beat every year. And in just a couple years Kiffen turned them into a team that was struggling to reach 10 wins. And the USC administration hasn't done any better since, making horrible hires one after another.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've screwed up coaching searches since Carroll left. Sure, they had sanctions but lets be real here. Kiffen had the #3, #3, #8 and #13 classes while he was there; even with those punishments. They had 10 five star players in those 4 classes. He underachieved dramatically given the kind of talent USC brings in. Not to mention, without looking I bet the classes before him under Carroll were equally as ridiculous. USC was basically Bama at that time, they were the team to beat every year. And in just a couple years Kiffen turned them into a team that was struggling to reach 10 wins. And the USC administration hasn't done any better since, making horrible hires one after another.

Misspelling Kiffin may be the smartest thing about your post. What part of limited scholarships do you not understand?

#3 class in 2010 had 19 players in it, 4 of them were 5 stars. 3 of them went undrafted, 1 that was drafted left in year 3.
#3" class in 2011, it had 29 players in it and the average wasn't top10. Only 1 5 star.
#8 class had only 17 players in it, only 1 5 star.
#13 class also had only 17 players in it, only 1 5 star.

He got that big 29 player class in order to have an experienced group over the sanctions, but it was paid for with a little less talent quality.

If he had managed to do basically any better it would have been a freaking miracle. And he did way better than anyone expected.

But he couldn't keep his mouth shut. He fueled the ridiculous expectations as much as anyone and when the obvious reality struck after stupid preseason expectations they knee-jerk reaction canned him after a game before he could get on the buses.

I know nobody wants to stick up for the guy - because he doesn't know when to shut his mouth, but his performances haven't been bad really. They just don't match his mouth and USC found that a little too embarrassing IMO.

Either way, the fact remains that USC has only done worse since him and he would have been a large upgrade over the other coaches they have hired.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Misspelling Kiffin may be the smartest thing about your post. What part of limited scholarships do you not understand?

#3 class in 2010 had 19 players in it, 4 of them were 5 stars. 3 of them went undrafted, 1 that was drafted left in year 3.
#3" class in 2011, it had 29 players in it and the average wasn't top10. Only 1 5 star.
#8 class had only 17 players in it, only 1 5 star.
#13 class also had only 17 players in it, only 1 5 star.

He got that big 29 player class in order to have an experienced group over the sanctions, but it was paid for with a little less talent quality.

If he had managed to do basically any better it would have been a freaking miracle. And he did way better than anyone expected.

But he couldn't keep his mouth shut. He fueled the ridiculous expectations as much as anyone and when the obvious reality struck after stupid preseason expectations they knee-jerk reaction canned him after a game before he could get on the buses.

I know nobody wants to stick up for the guy - because he doesn't know when to shut his mouth, but his performances haven't been bad really. They just don't match his mouth and USC found that a little too embarrassing IMO.

Either way, the fact remains that USC has only done worse since him and he would have been a large upgrade over the other coaches they have hired.
The ultimate point of my post was that despite being down what was it 10? scholarship players, USC had a roster of 75 that would rival almost any team out there in terms of talent. I could see that hurting them slightly in terms of competing for national titles, but in terms of winning games there was no reason USC shouldn't have continued being a 10 win team every year.

From my own experience with my own team, when you have bad coaching you don't develop the elite talent you get. Which is why highly ranked kids were bad when Hoke was here and then bam, were all of a sudden great when Harbaugh got here, ending in them getting drafted. I put the failure of USC's five stars on Kiffin and not because they somehow got an unprecedented number of unsuccessful five stars.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ultimate point of my post was that despite being down what was it 10? scholarship players, USC had a roster of 75 that would rival almost any team out there in terms of talent. I could see that hurting them slightly in terms of competing for national titles, but in terms of winning games there was no reason USC shouldn't have continued being a 10 win team every year.

From my own experience with my own team, when you have bad coaching you don't develop the elite talent you get. Which is why highly ranked kids were bad when Hoke was here and then bam, were all of a sudden great when Harbaugh got here, ending in them getting drafted. I put the failure of USC's five stars on Kiffin and not because they somehow got an unprecedented number of unsuccessful five stars.

Hold up. You're shitting on Kiffin for what he did at USC under sanctions, and now you are trying to pretend Harbaugh is somehow a good coach on top of it? Harbaugh has done worse over time and he doesn't have sanctions or anything else like that hanging over him - just the fact he can't win games that matter.

30 scholarships over 3 years and your dumbass thinks that's not a big deal, but then your coach has a little success with previous recruits, and you act like he's great.

Fucking Michigan fans.

:lol:

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hold up. You're shitting on Kiffin for what he did at USC under Sanctions, and now you are trying to pretend Harbaugh is somehow a good coach on top of it? Harbaugh has done worse over time and he doesn't have sanctions or anything else like that hanging over him - just the fact he can't win games that matter.

30 scholarships over 3 years and your dumbass thinks that's not a big deal, but then your coach has a little success with previous recruits, and you act like he's great.

Fucking Michigan fans.

:lol:
I was using the team I'm most familiar with to show how coaching and player development is important. This wasn't supposed to be about Harbaugh being the greatest coach of all time. You pointed out the failure of USC's five stars, and I'd say that's on coaching - not because all those five stars were just flops.

30 scholarships over 3 years, but that's still just 10 below the limit every year. It's not like at any point they were down 30 players. They had 75 scholarship players for all 3 years and those 75 spots were filled with talent most teams would dream to have. You don't think a team like Michigan State would take that exact scholarship reduction if they got to flip their roster with USC's roster during that period? Again, using teams I'm familiar with. How many teams that finished higher than USC in the Pac during that era would have killed for their 75 man roster?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was using the team I'm most familiar with to show how coaching and player development is important. This wasn't supposed to be about Harbaugh being the greatest coach of all time. You pointed out the failure of USC's five stars, and I'd say that's on coaching - not because all those five stars were just flops.

30 scholarships over 3 years, but that's still just 10 below the limit every year. It's not like at any point they were down 30 players. They had 75 scholarship players for all 3 years and those 75 spots were filled with talent most teams would dream to have. You don't think a team like Michigan State would take that exact scholarship reduction if they got to flip their roster with USC's roster during that period? Again, using teams I'm familiar with. How many teams that finished higher than USC in the Pac during that era would have killed for their 75 man roster?

"Just 10 below".

That's 10 guys who aren't getting developed year after year, but sure that's not a big deal at all. Not to mention how it also hurts recruiting in general to have those things tied to your program and recruits knowing they are going into a sanctioned program.

So what number do you think is a big deal then?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Just 10 below".

That's 10 guys who aren't getting developed year after year, but sure that's not a big deal at all. Not to mention how it also hurts recruiting in general to have those things tied to your program and recruits knowing they are going into a sanctioned program.

So what number do you think is a big deal then?
Of course it's an it's a loss of scholarships that would impact any team. The question being, how much does it impact a team still pulling in top 10 classes even within those limits? Should USC have lost 5+ games in 2/3 of Kiffin's 3 seasons there? I don't know how you'd answer anything other than no. Again, at any given time during that 3 year scholarship reduction, USC had at least 10 five stars on the Roster. Most teams without scholarship reductions have no where near that.

If we threw that same punishment on Alabama right now and Saban stayed in place, do you think Bama would have trouble winning 10 games a year still?