• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers/LeBron marriage will not end well

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, let me say that this is not a blatant attack on the Lakers like the thread title suggests.

That said, it's also a matter of the fact that any team that LeBron James plays for will always be under a microscope of sorts. And now that he's in his mid-30's, he no longer has the endurance to overcome it.

Teams like Orlando and Denver were fortunate enough this season to snap their respective lengthy playoff droughts this season. And come 2020, the Lakers, with a healthy lineup and some offseason roster tweaks, will be in good position to do the same.

Admittedly, my opinion on LeBron does in fact vary from time to time. That said, it is going to be a long upcoming three years for fans and media alike to follow this team. They may win a playoff series or two in that time frame, which would be an accomplishment in itself.

However, LeBron will ultimately be judged on whether or not he could bring anther title to that historic franchise.

Is it fair? Absolutely not, and for that reason this marriage will ultimately end on a regrettable note. The drama generated by the bright lights of that city will ultimately be too much to overcome.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My feeling on this today hasn't really changed since Lebron signed. Unless they get another elite talent or two this is somewhat akin to Carmelo in New York. He's not there primarily to win basketball games.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this hasn't been done yet......

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, let me say that this is not a blatant attack on the Lakers like the thread title suggests.

That said, it's also a matter of the fact that any team that LeBron James plays for will always be under a microscope of sorts. And now that he's in his mid-30's, he no longer has the endurance to overcome it.

Teams like Orlando and Denver were fortunate enough this season to snap their respective lengthy playoff droughts this season. And come 2020, the Lakers, with a healthy lineup and some offseason roster tweaks, will be in good position to do the same.

Admittedly, my opinion on LeBron does in fact vary from time to time. That said, it is going to be a long upcoming three years for fans and media alike to follow this team. They may win a playoff series or two in that time frame, which would be an accomplishment in itself.

However, LeBron will ultimately be judged on whether or not he could bring anther title to that historic franchise.

Is it fair? Absolutely not, and for that reason this marriage will ultimately end on a regrettable note. The drama generated by the bright lights of that city will ultimately be too much to overcome.

Lebron joining the Lakers clearly lots to do with his off-court ventures. Shit he's even having a hard time recruiting for Space Jam 2, lol.

But ultimately it's the choice he made. The chances of him winning anything always was based on the organizations ability to put the necessary pieces around him to build a winner. As of yet, this has yet to be done. I've reserved judgement for this off-season which will be the telling time for them to see whether or not Lebron bringing a championship to LA will be in sight.

Lebron's always been under a microscope. The Lakers are always under a microscope. He knew what he was getting into and IMO, it's absolutely fair to judge him on whether or not he brings a title to LA. Because Laker fans will never let him hear the end of it if it doesn't and you can absolutely forget about all those Kobe vs. Lebron arguments, let alone Lebron vs. MJ.

Lebron's a smart dude. He knew full well what the stakes were of him joining the Lakers out of any team out there.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you type the first sentence like he did...there's no point reading any further.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

all depends if they can get another star this offseason

I think they will have to go to the bottom of their list and spend a ton of money on a guy like Jimmy Butler---- who would be the very LAST guy on my list of stars I would want to give money to because of his history, his attitude, and the amount of miles he has on him.

Kawhi, Klay, Durant, Kyrie are pipe dreams if you ask me.

I would not want to give Jimmy Butler 4 years 140M dollars and have 75M of your cap yearly cap space tied up into a 35 year LeBron and a 31 year old Jimmy Butler for the next 3 years---- but its a combo that would at least get them in the playoffs- which after 7 seasons of not winning a playoff game, has to be the goal.

if they strike out completely on the big name free agents this summer it will be a huge f-up.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all depends if they can get another star this offseason

I think they will have to go to the bottom of their list and spend a ton of money on a guy like Jimmy Butler---- who would be the very LAST guy on my list of stars I would want to give money to because of his history, his attitude, and the amount of miles he has on him.

Kawhi, Klay, Durant, Kyrie are pipe dreams if you ask me.

I would not want to give Jimmy Butler 4 years 140M dollars and have 75M of your cap yearly cap space tied up into a 35 year LeBron and a 31 year old Jimmy Butler for the next 3 years---- but its a combo that would at least get them in the playoffs- which after 7 seasons of not winning a playoff game, has to be the goal.

if they strike out completely on the big name free agents this summer it will be a huge f-up.

The Lakers have got to stop clinging to their past for dear life when hiring their next team president and be willing to actually look outside their organization like a normal team would.

Obviously the sexy name going about right now to replace Magic is none other than Kobe Bryant, of course. But what the fuck does he know about roster management???

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers have got to stop clinging to their past for dear life when hiring their next team president and be willing to actually look outside their organization like a normal team would.

Obviously the sexy name going about right now to replace Magic is none other than Kobe Bryant, of course. But what the fuck does he know about roster management???

IMO, the greatest NBA players of all times generally make the worst front office people. They can't see objectively because their greatness isn't instilled in everyone they come across. The one guy I can think of being the exception is Larry Bird. Kobe I think would be a terrible fit for a team looking to boost it's camaraderie.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the greatest NBA players of all times generally make the worst front office people. They can't see objectively because their greatness isn't instilled in everyone they come across. The one guy I can think of being the exception is Larry Bird. Kobe I think would be a terrible fit for a team looking to boost it's camaraderie.
And Bird wasn't even that great at it...I of all people would know LOL...

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Bird wasn't even that great at it...I of all people would know LOL...

I don't think you know anything. Bird was so average as the GM & coach while w/ the Pacers he won executive of the year ('12) & coach of the year ('98).

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you know anything. Bird was so average as the GM & coach while w/ the Pacers he won executive of the year ('12) & coach of the year ('98).

Never had issue with his coaching. Just saying he was a mediocre exec. Similar to Riley in that he lived off his name value...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never had issue with his coaching. Just saying he was a mediocre exec. Similar to Riley in that he lived off his name value...

I know as fans part of the fun is ripping coaches and GMs, and it's our right.

But there's SO much we don't know about those jobs, and why they make the decisions they do, we aren't really qualified to make those decisions. Sure some guys are truly obviously terrible, but if the man wins an Exec of the Year award, he's probably not shitty at it.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^ This ^^

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will end well for LeBron.

He doesn't necessarily need to win a title in LA, so his success will be judged by how well he gets his brand out there.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many haters ripping the Lakers, so many losers worried about the Lakers. I would think one of them would want to boo hoo about the Pacers getting ripped up by the Celtics