• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lack of offense

patrickjc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The two things that most concern me right now about the Sharks is their offensive output, and their inability to put teams away. Since Feb. 5th (15 games, I think) they have scored more than 3 goals in regulation only twice. 11 of their last 13 games have been one goal games, several decided in OT or a shootout. It sure would be nice to see a laugher once in awhile. It just seems that when they get do a lead they give up a tying goal almost immediately.

While the defense and goaltending is solid, the offense is sputtering. It really needs to pick up bfore the playoffs. Scoring 1 or 2 goals in playoff games won't get them past the first round. Marleau and Heatley seem to be picking it up a bit, but Thornton, at least IMHO, isn't doing much offensively, and continues to turn the puck over. He really hasn't shown any leadership that justifies him being named Captain.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

li0lsh

Hoopla Cash
$ 737.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that our last few games (last night in particular), they've had INCREDIBLE I MEAN FUCKING INCREDIBLE chances to score yet they either miss the net (torrey mitchell) or don't know what the fuck to do when they have the puck by themselves in front of the goalie (Heatley) which makes it INCREDIBLY frustrating.

Our defense has been tremendously better though, and they are playing playoff hockey right now (close games, digging deep down to score and finding ways to win).

That's the kind of hockey I want to see this time of year. And of course in the next couple of months :) I just hope these close games and eventual pacific division games in the coming weeks don't wear them or cause any injuries we don't want (seto scare last night. please come back soon danny boy :))

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Yul Brynner said to the Eqyptians after Charlton Heston spread the green gas that killed all of the first-born sons, "This to shall pass". :mad2:

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love that they are playing nail biters. There won't be any laughers in the playoffs so playing in a laugher won't "train" them for playoff hockey. Close games where every turnover or lost puck battle can be used as a coaching opportunity will prove more valuable than games where the Sharks are up by 3 goals and start trying fancy passes for pretty goals.

That said, Hahn said a very scary stat in last night's telecast. That of all 30 teams, the Sharks rely on the PP for the most percentage of their goals, 50%. That is amazing and scary at the same time. In the POs, when coaches scheme to specifically shut down certain aspects of a PP, PP scoring tends to go down. We know this is very true for past Sharks teams where the PP seems to go MIA on the playoffs. However, the Sharks D (and Niemi) has really tightened up so their need to score 5 on 5 isn't as glaring.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I love that they are playing nail biters. There won't be any laughers in the playoffs so playing in a laugher won't "train" them for playoff hockey. Close games where every turnover or lost puck battle can be used as a coaching opportunity will prove more valuable than games where the Sharks are up by 3 goals and start trying fancy passes for pretty goals.

That said, Hahn said a very scary stat in last night's telecast. That of all 30 teams, the Sharks rely on the PP for the most percentage of their goals, 50%. That is amazing and scary at the same time. In the POs, when coaches scheme to specifically shut down certain aspects of a PP, PP scoring tends to go down. We know this is very true for past Sharks teams where the PP seems to go MIA on the playoffs. However, the Sharks D (and Niemi) has really tightened up so their need to score 5 on 5 isn't as glaring.

I believe it was 30%.

I think we all new with the defense the team had to start the year ES goals were going to be few and far between. Now with Ian White the team has a fair puck moving defense but McLellan has brought the forwards back deeper into the defensive zone to assist the defense in covering for some of Niemi's weaknessess. Bringing the forwards deeper into the d-zone has pretty much negated the added puck moving ability of dmen.

I really don't care how they win as long as they are consistantly outworking their opponents which they've been doing more often than not since the All-Star break.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe it was 30%.

I think we all new with the defense the team had to start the year ES goals were going to be few and far between. Now with Ian White the team has a fair puck moving defense but McLellan has brought the forwards back deeper into the defensive zone to assist the defense in covering for some of Niemi's weaknessess. Bringing the forwards deeper into the d-zone has pretty much negated the added puck moving ability of dmen.

I really don't care how they win as long as they are consistantly outworking their opponents which they've been doing more often than not since the All-Star break.

55 PPG/183 total goals = 30%

Oops I heard wrong. Yeah, 50% would be insane in a bad way.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sharks are playing playoff hockey right now. That is a good sign, but they need to work on the PK. The Sharks need to crash the net more while they r on the PP. I'm sure once Boyle returns the Sharks will score more goals.