• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyler Murray

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since he has now declared for the draft I am sure Murray is being considered by the Fins. He has two risks but I think the reward is worth it. There are concerns about his height but as Brees has shown when you have a good oline you can still make plays. I see a QB that can be a pocket passer. When he scrambles defenses have to respect his speed.

Another risk is that he could still choose baseball. I think he will make a lot more money in football as a first round QB and he seems to enjoy the game. Playing two sports as a QB wouldn't work though he'd have to choose.

He could be the QB that the Fins need to start building for success. Either way the Fins should use this draft to solidify the Oline.

RE the Draft: Grier hired Marvin Allen. This was another very good decision by Grier. Allen has a proven ability to find talent. He added many of KC's best players.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since he has now declared for the draft I am sure Murray is being considered by the Fins. He has two risks but I think the reward is worth it. There are concerns about his height but as Brees has shown when you have a good oline you can still make plays. I see a QB that can be a pocket passer. When he scrambles defenses have to respect his speed.

Another risk is that he could still choose baseball. I think he will make a lot more money in football as a first round QB and he seems to enjoy the game. Playing two sports as a QB wouldn't work though he'd have to choose.

He could be the QB that the Fins need to start building for success. Either way the Fins should use this draft to solidify the Oline.

RE the Draft: Grier hired Marvin Allen. This was another very good decision by Grier. Allen has a proven ability to find talent. He added many of KC's best players.
I think that both lines should be solidified before drafting a QB unless of course their guy falls to them. Although the current oline did ok in run blocking Gase rarely took advantage...

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like OG Darrl Williams of Miss. State. I think he proved a lot in the LSU game. OG Ivy of UF is also a top talent.

I would work on the Oline with the second pick. Top priority has to be protecting the QB. Adding talent to the oline will also improve the running game.

If the right QB isn't available at #13. BPA would be the right approach. The Fins could use another gamechanger on defense. A guy like Lattimore on the Saints is a good example. It looks like Greedy Williams will be long gone by #13 so they would probably need to look at another position of need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know everyone thinks we need a QB - but we don't - not as long as Tannehill is here. If anything, this team needs a quality backup/quality developmental QB. Kyler Murray is a great athlete and will be one regardless of what sport he decides to play(hopefully baseball). But I think in the NFL he will be best at a position outside of QB.

He isn't worth being our option as a developmental/back-up QB. I have said it many times, and Murray declaring for the draft doesn't change it - this draft doesn't have a sure thing at QB worth a first round pick.

Not saying the Dolphins should or will draft him - but IMO, the most NFL-ready QB this draft has is Will Grier. He has been helped by playing in a pass-happy offense for the better part of his college career - but he still has a quality enough arm and size to develop into a quality NFL QB.

I would say, if you all are so anxious about the Fins drafting a QB -- THIS is the guy the Fins should target.

As for the offensive line and the draft -- this is yet ANOTHER reason why I think drafting a QB in the first round would be a mistake.

Every year we seem to be discontent with the OL - no point in drafting a young QB -- especially with questions about his size, etc if there are so many question marks on the OL.

I still think DE/DT and the secondary are more of the strengths of this draft -- And those are the positions we should go after depending on BPA at the time we pick.

With the teams salary cap situation and a new GM calling the shots, I think the team will do a lot of maneuvering between now and then and acquire a few more picks to work with on draft day.

On the Allen hiring you mentioned, I think its a move that is going under the radar now but will prove to be a great hire for the team. Grier and Allen know each other and there is mutual respect between the two - I don't think that was something we could say between Grier and Tannebaum.

I know the draft is a few months from now - but I think first order of business will be what the Fins do with regards to their cap situation -- once that is clear they will be able to have a better vision for what to do in the draft.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know everyone thinks we need a QB - but we don't - not as long as Tannehill is here. If anything, this team needs a quality backup/quality developmental QB. Kyler Murray is a great athlete and will be one regardless of what sport he decides to play(hopefully baseball). But I think in the NFL he will be best at a position outside of QB.

He isn't worth being our option as a developmental/back-up QB. I have said it many times, and Murray declaring for the draft doesn't change it - this draft doesn't have a sure thing at QB worth a first round pick.

Not saying the Dolphins should or will draft him - but IMO, the most NFL-ready QB this draft has is Will Grier. He has been helped by playing in a pass-happy offense for the better part of his college career - but he still has a quality enough arm and size to develop into a quality NFL QB.

I would say, if you all are so anxious about the Fins drafting a QB -- THIS is the guy the Fins should target.

As for the offensive line and the draft -- this is yet ANOTHER reason why I think drafting a QB in the first round would be a mistake.

Every year we seem to be discontent with the OL - no point in drafting a young QB -- especially with questions about his size, etc if there are so many question marks on the OL.

I still think DE/DT and the secondary are more of the strengths of this draft -- And those are the positions we should go after depending on BPA at the time we pick.

With the teams salary cap situation and a new GM calling the shots, I think the team will do a lot of maneuvering between now and then and acquire a few more picks to work with on draft day.

On the Allen hiring you mentioned, I think its a move that is going under the radar now but will prove to be a great hire for the team. Grier and Allen know each other and there is mutual respect between the two - I don't think that was something we could say between Grier and Tannebaum.

I know the draft is a few months from now - but I think first order of business will be what the Fins do with regards to their cap situation -- once that is clear they will be able to have a better vision for what to do in the draft.
I couldn't agree more. Seems like most fans don't want to draft a smallish QB especially with a weak oline.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't agree more. Seems like most fans don't want to draft a smallish QB especially with a weak oline.

I would rather the team take a chance with Murray if he is available. We know what Tannehill is. He is a ten win QB that does not have the pocket presence that elite QBs have. Everything would have to be perfect to win with him; Top notch Oline & top 5 defense. The Fins aren't close with either of those things.

The offense that the better teams run leads to less hits on the QB. Brady for example gets rid of the ball quick with short passes or he just throws it away when under pressure. They also have a great oline coach which helps.

If the Fins draft Murray or another QB this year they don't have to play him right away. Mahomes rode the bench for a year behind Alex Smith and look how that is working out. Aaron Rodgers didn't start for years. The Fins don't need to rush the development of a rookie QB they just need to add the right one. When the Fins pick their next franchise QB whichever QB plays until the rookie is ready and the oline and offensive scheme improves is fine with me.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wont call out anyone by name because at this point I don't remember specifically who called for it - but this is the same fan base/message board that banged on the tables before and after the draft for a QB be the name of Paxton Lynch, who went on to be drafted by the Broncos.

The guy ended up getting cut by the Broncos after playing in just 5 games in 4 starts.

In conclusion, this fan base ought to stop stomping for QBs as if they know what they are talking about - and as if all these guys are a sure thing. Just not how it works.

Lets at least wait to see who will end up being our OC. What scheme the team will be running -- And any QB on the current roster fits that scheme -- if not, then we focus on which QBs to target in the draft and FA based on that.

I think as much as I complained about Gase and Burke, whether we agreed with the scheme on other side of the ball or not, is that a lot of the guys on the roster simply didn't fit the schemes. It wasn't a lack of a talent or that these guys arent/werent good -- I think the biggest issue was that far too many guys simply didn't fit into what was going on schematically.

This is why we need to just wait for the coaching staff to take shape before we worry about who is the QB/who to draft, etc.

Every one enjoys speculating and talking about this stuff. But considering how things have gone for this team over the years -- I think its best to take a step back and just let things play out the way they are supposed to and not rush anything.

First, lets wait to see how the coaching staff takes shape. After that, they will need to focus on who on the current roster fits into their future plans and who doesn't.

Then they can focus on trades, FA, the draft.

Regardless of how bad you may think things have been for this organization over the years, I think its a good time to just enjoy and make the best of this rebuilding process and see how it plays out.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wont call out anyone by name because at this point I don't remember specifically who called for it - but this is the same fan base/message board that banged on the tables before and after the draft for a QB be the name of Paxton Lynch, who went on to be drafted by the Broncos.

The guy ended up getting cut by the Broncos after playing in just 5 games in 4 starts.

In conclusion, this fan base ought to stop stomping for QBs as if they know what they are talking about - and as if all these guys are a sure thing. Just not how it works.

Lets at least wait to see who will end up being our OC. What scheme the team will be running -- And any QB on the current roster fits that scheme -- if not, then we focus on which QBs to target in the draft and FA based on that.

I think as much as I complained about Gase and Burke, whether we agreed with the scheme on other side of the ball or not, is that a lot of the guys on the roster simply didn't fit the schemes. It wasn't a lack of a talent or that these guys arent/werent good -- I think the biggest issue was that far too many guys simply didn't fit into what was going on schematically.

This is why we need to just wait for the coaching staff to take shape before we worry about who is the QB/who to draft, etc.

Every one enjoys speculating and talking about this stuff. But considering how things have gone for this team over the years -- I think its best to take a step back and just let things play out the way they are supposed to and not rush anything.

First, lets wait to see how the coaching staff takes shape. After that, they will need to focus on who on the current roster fits into their future plans and who doesn't.

Then they can focus on trades, FA, the draft.

Regardless of how bad you may think things have been for this organization over the years, I think its a good time to just enjoy and make the best of this rebuilding process and see how it plays out.
I don't think its realistic to ask a fanbase that hasn't had a franchise QB since Marino to stop clamoring to draft one until it is found. At this point, Miami should draft one every year until they hit.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think its realistic to ask a fanbase that hasn't had a franchise QB since Marino to stop clamoring to draft one until it is found. At this point, Miami should draft one every year until they hit.
I don't disagree but you don't take one for the sake of it. If a guy falls to them that they want sure but don't force it especially when both lines need help.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree but you don't take one for the sake of it. If a guy falls to them that they want sure but don't force it especially when both lines need help.
misunderstanding...i don't mean take one in the first round every year. but i do believe you should draft a QB every year until you find a franchise guy

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
misunderstanding...i don't mean take one in the first round every year. but i do believe you should draft a QB every year until you find a franchise guy
Can't disagree if you go BPA and don't have a major need that's sitting there why not take a QB. The Fins drafted two TE's this year but haven't drafted a backup QB since when? That backup may have become the starter already who knows. But you definitely can't invest a first rounder every year on any one position...