• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyler Murray

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im tired of the main boards opinions and getting bullshit ratings when no one debates.

If you guys have a son and were in the same situation where would you guys as fathers advise him?

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im tired of the main boards opinions and getting bullshit ratings when no one debates.

If you guys have a son and were in the same situation where would you guys as fathers advise him?

Personally, I love baseball. Was looking at a scholarship my senior year before tearing my shoulder apart throwing a guy out at home from centerfield - and then playing the last half of the season with a messed up shoulder. I'd love to see my kid go in baseball (though he's sure he wants to be in the olympics for tae kwondo).

I'd also advise him to really think about what he wants, which sport he'd rather play. Devote your time to one, don't try to be the two sport hero, cause chances are you'll fail at both. Today's professional sports are so competitive, it'll be difficult to anyone to be a star at 2.

I've seen some of the comments on the general board and it shows that a lot don't understand what it takes to be professional in 1 sport let alone 2. The money difference between NFL and MiLB seems to be the crux of the arguments I was seeing a few days ago. Money isn't everything.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I love baseball. Was looking at a scholarship my senior year before tearing my shoulder apart throwing a guy out at home from centerfield - and then playing the last half of the season with a messed up shoulder. I'd love to see my kid go in baseball (though he's sure he wants to be in the olympics for tae kwondo).

I'd also advise him to really think about what he wants, which sport he'd rather play. Devote your time to one, don't try to be the two sport hero, cause chances are you'll fail at both. Today's professional sports are so competitive, it'll be difficult to anyone to be a star at 2.

I've seen some of the comments on the general board and it shows that a lot don't understand what it takes to be professional in 1 sport let alone 2. The money difference between NFL and MiLB seems to be the crux of the arguments I was seeing a few days ago. Money isn't everything.

If he wasn’t a QB I’d say he could try both, if say he was WR or DB but as a QB he does have to choose.

I love baseball more than any sport but if Murray is good as advertised he could be a big leaguer being a .250 hitter with his athleticism alone but he cannot be a NFL QB not knowing the playbook inside and out. I don’t believe for a second like most people he couldn’t do both if it weren’t for the position he plays in football. I do truly believe the over specialization of baseball is blown way out of proportion and unnecessary. As much as people give Michael Jordan shit, he struggled in AA for a season but more than held his own in the Arizona Fall League which is the all stars of the who’s who in the minors. Missing the cage sucks and might stunt the growth of a player but ability in baseball trumps everything and according to every baseball outlet he has more than enough raw talent.

But agree, money isn’t everything. Passion is for both as he seems to excel at both. Unlike the recent guys that everyone is comparing him to in Drew Henson and Jeff Samajdza or however the hell you spell it. But I think Deion was massively overly rated as a baseball player so I don’t count him.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with being some other position, it's just not a great idea. Bo Jackson is the only one I'd say was successful at both, and injuries in football derailed baseball. Brian Jordan was a below average safety and didn't make the majors until after he gave up football. Deion Sanders was fast but probably doesn't have his baseball career without his fame in football - cause there appears to be no reason for him to be in the MLB before 1992, and yet there he was (which was his best season in baseball).

No one has really been a long term star in both sports. So, yeah - I'd tell my kid to go the route of John Elway and choose one, focus on it and be the best you can be at that one sport. Otherwise, he's most likely to be nothing more than a league minimum player in both.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd tell him do what makes you happy. Obviously money is a factor and that's tough to ignore but at the end of the day I would think he enjoys one more then the other. I honestly have no idea how good of a baseball player he is other then what i read. He was dynamic on the field at Oklahoma but there is no way to know if his style will translate for sure. It will be a fascinating story to follow for sure.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say go QB only a small handful of baseball players actually get 8-10 year deals and make hundreds of millions of dollars. As a QB he will get paid millions assuming he is a top pick in the draft and even as a bust he can still make a career as a back up and make really good money. Ask Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mark Sanchez and Sam Bradford

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd tell him do what makes you happy. Obviously money is a factor and that's tough to ignore but at the end of the day I would think he enjoys one more then the other. I honestly have no idea how good of a baseball player he is other then what i read. He was dynamic on the field at Oklahoma but there is no way to know if his style will translate for sure. It will be a fascinating story to follow for sure.

This is where I’m really intrigued with this as well. At least in all the stuff I’ve tried reading up on it is he hasn’t really stated which one he loves more so every argument about it is money. And that’s why I put it on here, because for some reason most of the CF board seems to think baseball players are all getting Bryce Harper type contracts so you can’t have a legit debate on it.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't care.

I'm hoping his talent goes to the NFL as opposed to helping the A's.