• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyle Hamilton: Best player in the draft or a hybrid player without a position?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are about half a dozen players that I've seen in the draft that are pretty polarizing and Hamilton seems to be the top of the list.

I'm curious to see what people think on here. Is he one of the best players in the draft? Is he the next Aaron Curry? Would you want your team drafting him in rd1?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are about half a dozen players that I've seen in the draft that are pretty polarizing and Hamilton seems to be the top of the list.

I'm curious to see what people think on here. Is he one of the best players in the draft? Is he the next Aaron Curry? Would you want your team drafting him in rd1?
He has 1st round talent but not likely drafted in 1st round.
I see several teams that can/should be interested but likely have more pressing needs.
As for my team, the Patriots can and will be interested but likely see him as a project. I would not be surprised.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has 1st round talent but not likely drafted in 1st round.
I see several teams that can/should be interested but likely have more pressing needs.
As for my team, the Patriots can and will be interested but likely see him as a project. I would not be surprised.
I actually agree with this. The idea of him not going rd1 sounds a bit radical until you realize that he is such a weird fit on a football field. But at the same time I wouldn't be shocked if he was a pro bowl talent if he finds the right fit. I'm just not sure teams should value that in rd1

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually agree with this. The idea of him not going rd1 sounds a bit radical until you realize that he is such a weird fit on a football field. But at the same time I wouldn't be shocked if he was a pro bowl talent if he finds the right fit. I'm just not sure teams should value that in rd1
If position-less defense takes hold, he'd be a prize!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If position-less defense takes hold, he'd be a prize!
He might have a position on specific defenses. I know Mark Barron was a highly touted Safety prospect who ended up saving his career by moving to being a Linebacker of sorts. Hamilton is bigger and more explosive than Barron while having less top end speed. Realistically he would play that type of hybrid position better than Barron. But he'd be in the box and wouldn't be able to cover receivers so I'm not sure how much value that has. Hamilton as a full time box player is different than how they used him in Notre Dame, too, so its a bit of a projection.

Chiefs base is 4-2-5 mostly and Hamilton fits right into the Sorenson position. So I might be overthinking this

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big fan, probably needs to be paired with an elite coverage safety. I think with a good DC he would has extreme value. Be great in the box, can cover TEs, and can be used all over the field to disguise blitzes.

If he goes to a team that just uses 2 deep safties all of the time he will be wasted amd look like a bust.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big fan, probably needs to be paired with an elite coverage safety. I think with a good DC he would has extreme value. Be great in the box, can cover TEs, and can be used all over the field to disguise blitzes.

If he goes to a team that just uses 2 deep safties all of the time he will be wasted amd look like a bust.
I kinda feel like I'd rather have Devin Lloyd around pick 30 than Kyle Hamilton at pick 10. Lloyd maybe slightly less of a unicorn but he also seems like a natural fit for that without breaking the bank.

Of course, this post will likely age like milk in a year but talking about unique prospects like Hamilton is part of the fun

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda feel like I'd rather have Devin Lloyd around pick 30 than Kyle Hamilton at pick 10. Lloyd maybe slightly less of a unicorn but he also seems like a natural fit for that without breaking the bank.

Of course, this post will likely age like milk in a year but talking about unique prospects like Hamilton is part of the fun
Don't need to sell me on Lloyd, watched him every game. He is going to be an absolute beast.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hes #1 on this board 2021 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings | The Draft Network

Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton might just be the best NFL draft prospect I’ve personally studied since entering into the draft space in 2014. This is a unicorn-caliber player who is physically capable of executing a slew of roles and responsibilities and the Notre Dame program did a terrific job accentuating his versatility and allowing him to shine on all three levels of their defense. Hamilton’s football IQ and instincts are simply on another level, too. He sees the game differently and that allows him to play the game with a rare patience before calling upon elite physical skills to transition and drive to the football. Hamilton’s youth trainer credits him with a 40” vertical, an 11’ broad jump, and ‘the fastest (electronic) 10-yard split I’ve ever timed at my facility’ at the age of 18 when he left for the Irish program. Keep your binoculars handy when you watch him play, he’ll keep you busy searching for him on a play-by-play basis. One game studied featured Hamilton’s first few snaps that involved playing coverage on the punt team, aligning in the nickel and pushing to the flat, driving to deep middle of the field coverage, aligning as a stack player and playing robber, and then aligning as an end man on the line of scrimmage in a pressure look. He’s an elite tackler, offers tremendous range, and allowed his ball skills to shine in 2021 before an injury cut short his season as a junior and cost him the second half of the Irish’s season

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might have a position on specific defenses. I know Mark Barron was a highly touted Safety prospect who ended up saving his career by moving to being a Linebacker of sorts. Hamilton is bigger and more explosive than Barron while having less top end speed. Realistically he would play that type of hybrid position better than Barron. But he'd be in the box and wouldn't be able to cover receivers so I'm not sure how much value that has. Hamilton as a full time box player is different than how they used him in Notre Dame, too, so its a bit of a projection.

Chiefs base is 4-2-5 mostly and Hamilton fits right into the Sorenson position. So I might be overthinking this
Bills play mostly Nickel too.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hes #1 on this board 2021 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings | The Draft Network

Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton might just be the best NFL draft prospect I’ve personally studied since entering into the draft space in 2014. This is a unicorn-caliber player who is physically capable of executing a slew of roles and responsibilities and the Notre Dame program did a terrific job accentuating his versatility and allowing him to shine on all three levels of their defense. Hamilton’s football IQ and instincts are simply on another level, too. He sees the game differently and that allows him to play the game with a rare patience before calling upon elite physical skills to transition and drive to the football. Hamilton’s youth trainer credits him with a 40” vertical, an 11’ broad jump, and ‘the fastest (electronic) 10-yard split I’ve ever timed at my facility’ at the age of 18 when he left for the Irish program. Keep your binoculars handy when you watch him play, he’ll keep you busy searching for him on a play-by-play basis. One game studied featured Hamilton’s first few snaps that involved playing coverage on the punt team, aligning in the nickel and pushing to the flat, driving to deep middle of the field coverage, aligning as a stack player and playing robber, and then aligning as an end man on the line of scrimmage in a pressure look. He’s an elite tackler, offers tremendous range, and allowed his ball skills to shine in 2021 before an injury cut short his season as a junior and cost him the second half of the Irish’s season
Fastest 10yd split and 40" vert seems like something when he was at a lower weight. Still, 38" vert and sub 7 3-cone means that he has NFL 'box' numbers and with ridiculous height. 4.6 40 time is also consistent with a box player.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he’s available at 20 then I’d be screaming for the Steelers to take him.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude is a football player. He will find a spot in this league.

In fact I bet there are quite a few teams with a star by his name that want him on their team because of his versatility.

He's not going in the top 3 picks like some mocks have him (safety just isn't important enough to justify a pick that high), but I doubt he makes it out of the top 15.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Him plus Minkah would be incredible.

Meh.

There is only so much impact a great safety tandem can have. Look at Seattle. Adams and Diggs are EASILY the best safety combination in the league. And their defense is pathetic.

It is why Hamilton will drop a lot farther down than #2 in the draft like some people have him being mocked at during this lead up period. Even the best safety in the league only has a chance to make a difference on a small percentage of defensive plays.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh.

There is only so much impact a great safety tandem can have. Look at Seattle. Adams and Diggs are EASILY the best safety combination in the league. And their defense is pathetic.

It is why Hamilton will drop a lot farther down than #2 in the draft like some people have him being mocked at during this lead up period. Even the best safety in the league only has a chance to make a difference on a small percentage of defensive plays.
I'm not saying he's Troy Polamalu, but the Troy Polamalu - Ryan Clark tandem was incredible and was very impactful for many years.

If we could get him at 20, I'd say that's a coup.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh.

#2 is preposterous. So is bust. I like the guy but he can likely be had cheaper.
I don't pay Filet prices for chuck.....

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh.

Because Our DC didn't kow how to use Adams. Time to start beating this in the NFL Board after the Seahawks.

Adams Specialty is Rushing the Passer and Tackling. He is Suspect in coverage game..............

What does that sound like to you?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Our DC didn't kow how to use Adams. Time to start beating this in the NFL Board after the Seahawks.

Adams Specialty is Rushing the Passer and Tackling. He is Suspect in coverage game..............

What does that sound like to you?

Agreed, but I'm getting sick and tired of hearing he can't cover. He was doing fine in New York and then Seattle butchered him.

Seattle's entire defensive scheme was absolute dogshit for the entire Ken Norton era... constantly dropping corners 10 yards off receivers, dropping Al Woods and other DL in coverage, playing Adams as a deep safety.... like what the actual fuck? The biggest coverage issues last year were all due to the linebackers. Wagner and Brooks were horrible in coverage and routinely when it was 3rd and long I'd be like, "Here comes a pass to a WIDE OPEN receiver over the middle of the field" and sure enough that happened. That's how teams were able to sustain such long drives against Seattle. The 5-10 yard (before YAC) was there whenever teams wanted it.

Advanced Defense & Fumbles​

GamesPass CoveragePass RushTackles
YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSIntTgtCmpCmp%YdsYds/CmpYds/TgtTDRatDADOTAirYACBltzHrryQBKDSkPrssCombMTklMTkl%
2018*23NYJSS3316161603355.0%40512.36.8174.79.823517069243.510115129.4%
2019*+24NYJSS3314141382155.3%1878.94.9275.26.61295890366.5167545.1%
2020*25SEASS3312120453577.8%41111.79.10104.76.8224187981069.5268399.8%
202126SEASS3312122513058.8%40313.47.9493.88.217622744510.068777.4%

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hybrid player without a position for a safety sounds like code for "actually really good" to me, ngl.

A safety who can competently line up at S, LB or even CB in certain looks is absolutely one of the more valuable players you can have in football right now.