• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kubiak is the new Broncos HC

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be glad to have our coaching staff in place, but it's difficult to get too excited about the immediate future of my Broncos. Lots of questions right now beginning with who's going to QB the team. This should be an interesting week around here.

Doubt that Manning decides whether he's going to play next year for several more weeks, though the coaching staff should be fleshed out this week.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they should've brought back Mike Shanahan. He has some experience with getting aging HOF QBs who couldn't get it done in the playoffs over the hump.

That said, as a Charger fan I don't really have much of an opinion on Kubiak. He had some pretty loaded teams and never made it to a Championship game. Doesn't seem to have that "go down with a fight" persona that Elway wanted so bad. Bottom line is if Peyton comes back they'll likely be a playoff team again, but does Kubiak give them something that Fox couldn't? I doubt it. Fox was a FG away from winning a Super Bowl with Jake Delhomme. Way more impressive than what Kubiak has accomplished.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they should've brought back Mike Shanahan. He has some experience with getting aging HOF QBs who couldn't get it done in the playoffs over the hump.

That said, as a Charger fan I don't really have much of an opinion on Kubiak. He had some pretty loaded teams and never made it to a Championship game. Doesn't seem to have that "go down with a fight" persona that Elway wanted so bad. Bottom line is if Peyton comes back they'll likely be a playoff team again, but does Kubiak give them something that Fox couldn't? I doubt it. Fox was a FG away from winning a Super Bowl with Jake Delhomme. Way more impressive than what Kubiak has accomplished.

I think you have him confused with the coaching staffs in San Diego.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it slightly ironic the Broncos fired Fox for not getting them a Lombardi while Kubes has thus far failed to make it past the divisional round... Or maybe that is my inner Denver hater speaking. Or... my memory of Kubes as a HC is flawed .

He is a close friend of Elway.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt that Manning decides whether he's going to play next year for several more weeks, though the coaching staff should be fleshed out this week.

Manning looks like he is nearing the end and the Broncos should try and find a young QB with upside.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not even funny
Maybe he needs another heart attack to get his priorities straight...:noidea:

You're right, bad choice of words....What I should have said was the pressure of taking over that job with all the questions and high expectations after blowing up the Coaching staff and more than likely losing PM may cause another one before he realizes that he was better off with a less stressful and more promising job, whether here or somewhere else....
I'm only upset at the predicament he left us in by lying about staying here and then pulling the Irsay on us......
We could have already had someone in place had we known, now we've missed Shanny and who knows who else....
Continuity is key to winning championships and this new OC every year for Joe is getting really old now...
Ozzie needs to put a contingency in those contracts to protect the team from deals like this being pulled on us and holding them responsible when they violate it, IMO....
Truth is, we just saw the best of Kubes and his Boo Bears are worse than him, Dennison is the OC that took Houston 2-14 and got em all fired, so not missing him, and Kubes is taking his ride into the sunset in Denver...:clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never was impressed with Kubiak in Houston, the Texans had some pretty damn good teams while he was there that I think underperformed. Going from Fox to Kubiak seems like a sideways move at best if not a step back to me, but we'll see if Kubiak does better his second time around. Time will tell.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never was impressed with Kubiak in Houston, the Texans had some pretty darn good teams while he was there that I think underperformed. Going from Fox to Kubiak seems like a sideways move at best if not a step back to me, but we'll see if Kubiak does better his second time around. Time will tell.

We dug him out of obscurity last year, he was done and no one wanted him for anything and when Harbs called Dennison to see if he wanted to interview before they hired Shanny, he talked Harbs into calling Kubes....He knew they would all come with him....
At one time he was a force, but his genius has gotten a little old for the game today, I think....
The system is fine but needs some new twists to compensate for the progression of the game now a days....
There were plays during the season when I just scratched my head in awe of how dumb a play call that was, and when all is told, he had some outstanding players in Houston and in B'more and still couldn't get it done....Good riddance to his run the midget up the middle on 3rd and goal in the red zone....
We may get Gase from what I hear, and PM rates him very high, so we'll see how it all shakes out....
We're on to next season, SB or bust !!!!!!!!:nod:

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have him confused with the coaching staffs in San Diego.

No, Rivers' Chargers actually have made it to a Championship game. But nice try at attempting to deflect. Just trying to have a conversation about the hire. Let me know if you have anything intelligent to say.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos got their man, as Elway targeted Kubiak all along it would seem.

I like the hire in general. Gary Kubiak is an experienced head coach and hopefully has learned from his mistakes along the way. Former head coaches sometimes are more effective in the 2nd time around but of course, it can also go the other way.

As a Broncos fan, I like the team connection and familiarity. Kubiak was a Bronco longer than any other gig in his career. The risk is that sometimes you can't repeat success no matter how hard you try. The league has evolved quite a bit since Kubiak was calling the offense in Denver. Throw in the Peyton Manning factor and there are a ton of question marks. The first thing that comes to mind is how well our personnel might fit into a zone blocking scheme. I'm not sure.

I think Kubiak is a better play than going with an unknown coordinator and the reality is that Elway was looking for alignment between the coaching staff and the desires of the organization. At first blush, it would appear that they've gotten what they wanted. We'll see how it all works out.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re-treads include:

Pats coach
Seahawks coach

They've had a little success.