• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kings are in the 2018 playoffs

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Via St. Louis losing.

Who you want? I think I want to face Vegas since im tired of the SJ vs LA matchup and would be nice to lay the ground work for a new rivalry.

Think we can beat either team tbh.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, I wasn't expecting the Blues to collapse like that....not disappointed for sure

GO KINGS GO!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah buddy!

Also hate the the St. Louis Blows, so that's all great news.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Via St. Louis losing.

Who you want? I think I want to face Vegas since im tired of the SJ vs LA matchup and would be nice to lay the ground work for a new rivalry.

Think we can beat either team tbh.

Probably same. Not to say LA would be favored per se against Las Vegas, but if LA can beat Vegas, it'll be less physically taxing (Sans Ryan Reeves) later on than Anaheim or even San Jose. Plus I feel like speed is deadly, but less so in a longer/physical series, where you can negate some of it. Would be nice if San Jose and Anaheim just beat the heck out of each other, but it's not impossible tp overcome a physical series. I felt the same way in 2014, and LA was able to prevail after several brutal series'.

It's all good. I'm just excited they're in the Playoffs again. Whatever happens.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was hoping they would clinch on their own merits but I'll take it especially because it involved the Blues screwing the pooch and hurting themselves in the process as well. Have never liked that team and it was just gravy they gift wrapped a playoff berth.

I had a huge problem with the notion that the Blues were essentially the Kings in the early part of this decade, and how the media said they were almost identical teams and how the Blues would be the next ones to take the Cup from LA. It bugged the holy hell out of me because it simply wasn't true. We saw what happened in 2012 (4-0 sweep) and 2013 (4-2 series win after the Blues led the series 2-0. I remember Penner's slap shot from the blue line with like .3 seconds left in the 1st period beating Elliott and that was the dagger).

They were always a little short on the talent department positionally compared to LA - Quick vs either of Elliott/Halak, Doughty vs Pietrangelo, Kopitar/Carter vs Backes/Steen, and it trickled down into the lower lines too - so it bugged me. Sorry, but none of those guys were on the level of the Kings and 6 years later never were, Pietrangelo maybe but even then I'd take Doughty although I do like Pietrangelo. The Blues have always been missing a piece or two every year but were almost there.

As for seeding, I think LA would match up well with Vegas. Vegas has slumped a bit the last month and we have all seen how backing into the POs is a bad thing. The novelty seems to be wearing off and as they say, it's a whole different game come April 1. There will be some serious checking and clogging so their speed will be negated quite a bit - not just by LA, just anyone who they play - so it'll be a bit harder to get the wins like they are accustomed to. I'm curious to see how they fare in their inaugural PO season.

Their strategy no doubt will be to deploy Reaves even though he is essentially a goon so the Kings need to be prepared for that - may be a good time to use one of the 4 AHL recalls and keep MacDermid around on the roster. I think with the game slowing down a bit too he may actually get some playing time and not be overly exposed either, much like Schultz stepped in in 2014 when Regehr went down in the Anaheim series. With the defensive injuries right now the Kings' depth will be tested big time.

I do not want to see SJ again simply because I'm just tied of seeing them in the POs (2011, 2013, 2014 and 2016) so a new face would be nice. They are struggling too however so maybe they are ripe for the picking. I'm hoping Anaheim draws Nashville.

All in all just happy there will be PO hockey again in LA. This team, when they are on, can beat anyone so I am hoping they tap into uinto their 2012 and 2014 team mentality, remember what it takes to win and go get that silver shiny thing.

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man. I remember ESPN having that crazy Blues bias too. When Voynov scored in OT Game 5 in 2013, the headline was "Blues lose on soft goal in OT" or something like that. It just reeked of bitterness. This was in the wake of article after article knobbing the Blues, with my favorite one featuring this bar near Scottrade Center (Home of the Blues) where there was a silhouette of the Stanley Cup already painted on their wall with the words "Coming Soon" written in it. Even in 2014, they had some dedicated night where they gave out posters celebrating the 2013 Game 1 OT gaffe by Quick, where he coughed it up behind the net, and the Blues won in OT shorthanded. It was like "What?!?!". They were honoring (With posters) winning Game 1 in a series that they eventually lost.

Man, I could go all day ripping on the Blues and their arrogant entitled fans. I've never seen a more arrogant fanbase for a team that has accomplished so little historically. I am eternally grateful LA handed it to them in 2012 and 2013.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely agree and why I have never liked that franchise - win something first and then gloat but these jabronis think they are perennial contenders. It truly does baffle me, especially the arrogance as you mentioned.

I remember the whole Cup silhouette thing but didn't hear about the poster giveaway. I remember that play, in OT and Quick and his stellar puck handling coughs it up and I think Steen put it into an empty net to win Game 1. Backes yapped his mouth about how they all need everyone on board, if you aren't I'll call you out, blah blah blah.

How'd that work out for ya - twice in 12 months?

=)~~

My disdain goes a long ways back with them, early/mid 1990s and then when Pronger was upped to 3 years/$29.5 million as an RFA that Blake used as his starting point for money as a GIII UFA that dislike was sealed. Those idiots always tried to buy a Cup through free agency pre2005 and were a huge part of why we had the lockout in 2004, along with the Rangers, Caps and Wings.

Screw the Blues, I hope they never win a Cup. Hope they enjoyed the poster, it turned out to be the highlight of the Blues for that series.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have hated them forever, but especially from this game:

Geoff Courtnall running over Jamie Store while Kings were up 3-0. Courtnall gets 2 for Charging, and Sean O'Donnell gets 5 for fighting (I'll be honest, I've never seen this before or since, that one guy would get a 5 minute fighting major by himself). Blues score 4 straight goals and it was just that "Old Kings" vibe. Like this would happen to the Kings.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, all doesn't matter now as the Kings hoisted the cup twice. I try to explain to people what it used to be like never making the Playoffs, and then when we would, something crazy would happen (McSorely stick. Epic meltdown. Freaky penalty). Then from like 1994 to 2012, LA had won one single Playoff series, and then took the eventual champ Avs to Game 7, and that was it for things to celebrate for like 2 decades (Aside from individual achievements).

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Quick is in Playoff mode

tenor.gif

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have hated them forever, but especially from this game:

Geoff Courtnall running over Jamie Store while Kings were up 3-0. Courtnall gets 2 for Charging, and Sean O'Donnell gets 5 for fighting (I'll be honest, I've never seen this before or since, that one guy would get a 5 minute fighting major by himself). Blues score 4 straight goals and it was just that "Old Kings" vibe. Like this would happen to the Kings.

This was definitely one the bullet points of solidifying my feelings towards the Blues. Courtnall got away with running Storr, gives him a concussion and then O'Donnell gets the 5 minute major. I remember watching that completely baffled at what just transpired.

Like you I didn't understand that because if I remember correctly Courtnall didn't even get a penalty, apparently the refs thought the beat down he got from OD was punishment enough. Wrong call, but that was what they thought. The Blues were already up 2-0 in the series and the Kings had that game in the bag until that play and the Blues scored 4 PP goals in 3:07.

I personally don't think they would have gotten much farther in the POs anyway, that 1997-98 team overachieved with guys like Stumpel finishing 10th in league scoring/averaging 1+ PPG (79 points/77 GP), Perrault scoring a career high 28 goals/leading the league in GW goals/FO%, Johnson somehow potting a career high 17 goals, just a perfect situation for a bunch of average players having career years. Blake scored 23 and won the Norris Trophy that summer too.

It was ironic that Geoff Courtnall had to retire just a year later in 1999 from post concussion symptoms, what goes around comes around I suppose. That series Duchesne also played great, was going to be a GIII UFA and showcased himself so Taylor signed him to 3 year/$11.25 million deal bringing a fan favorite back. However he was waived only 7 months later in March 1999 with no takers so they traded him to the Flyers for Dave Babych and his awesome mustache. Duchesne was brutal this time around in LA, he sucked dog balls.

For us old ESPN old timers, I remember DBush calling it that he would suck in LA the first week of the season when he saw Duchesne trip over himself with no one around at the Kings' blue line. Friggin classic.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Checking the standings and it's so crazy the different scenarios. There's an outside chance LA could end up the #2 seed in the Pacific. They hold the tiebreakers over SJ, so if Sharks lose, and Kings win, LA would overtake them for the #2. HOWEVER, Anaheim can get 4 more points and overtake them both if Sharks stumble. With all of the different scenarios, I would say opening on the road against Anaheim would be the hardest draw (in my opinion), even though the Ducks will be missing Cam Fowler for a few weeks.

Just interesting. Curious everyone's thoughts?

upload_2018-4-6_15-50-52.png

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't blame it on Quick, those were gimmes. No idea what Folin or Fantenberg were thinking but the defensive play was very suspect in the first period. At least they turned it around but it may be too late, we will see how the third goes.

I'm almost positive no matter what the Kings will get Vegas to start which I think is the best match up the Kings could have hoped for.

I did watch most of the Blues/Avs and Bernier did indeed play exceptional. Happy to see the Blues go home, can't stand them as we just discussed and they looked like they mailed it in by the third.

See ya mooks, enjoy that silhouette at the bar.

=)~~

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't blame it on Quick, those were gimmes. No idea what Folin or Fantenberg were thinking but the defensive play was very suspect in the first period. At least they turned it around but it may be too late, we will see how the third goes.

I'm almost positive no matter what the Kings will get Vegas to start which I think is the best match up the Kings could have hoped for.

I did watch most of the Blues/Avs and Bernier did indeed play exceptional. Happy to see the Blues go home, can't stand them as we just discussed and they looked like they mailed it in by the third.

See ya mooks, enjoy that silhouette at the bar.

=)~~

Same. I feel a little bad Tarasenko looked like he probably broke his arm early in that game (I have nothing against Tarasenko) but as for the Blues/their fans I'm glad they're done.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Late in that game last night, when Ducks had already won and San Jose was down, I would be lying to say I wasn't Kings would just lose. Winning meant opening at Anaheim, which I think was in a lot our Worst Case Scenarios.

We are in now, and our opponent set. Need some guys to get going. Kempe of course (Hasn't scored in like 30 games). Toffoli is I don't know. Carter has fallen off since his Hat Trick against Arizona. Quick has been okay but not making any big saves like this team needs. If we can get some guys going, Kings could be okay. If not, we might not be able to score enough goals to keep up.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete just hates Quick and is Bernier's mom or girlfriend.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't blame it on Quick, those were gimmes.

I did watch most of the Blues/Avs and Bernier did indeed play exceptional.

=)~~

Agreed, Quick gets left out to dry a little too much for my taste, but I saw this year that he has let in 5-hole goals, and I don't remember him ever letting those in.
I wanted to play the Knights anyway, and might have to make a road trip to see a game.