• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kikuchi An All-Star

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
congrats kikuchi.....and well done...so far......

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him. Hopefully he keeps it up. I haven't been the biggest fan of his signing, and until this season he hadn't done much to prove my skepticism with his signing wrong. It's almost like he and Marco and flipped their success this season.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really struggled those first couple years with the 8-15 record and 5.3 era. His good performance this year makes his bizarre contract even more of a quandry.

So at the end of the year the M's have to immediately decide whether or not to exercise the team option, which is 4 years, $66 million. But if the team declines the option, then it becomes a player option(!) and Kikuchi can then choose.

It is a bit of a tightrope. Hopefully this year's improvement is not an anomaly or we could be stuck with a bit of a white elephant contract.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really struggled those first couple years with the 8-15 record and 5.3 era. His good performance this year makes his bizarre contract even more of a quandry.

So at the end of the year the M's have to immediately decide whether or not to exercise the team option, which is 4 years, $66 million. But if the team declines the option, then it becomes a player option(!) and Kikuchi can then choose.

It is a bit of a tightrope. Hopefully this year's improvement is not an anomaly or we could be stuck with a bit of a white elephant contract.
Just to clarify, his player option is for 1 year, $13M.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As short as we are at SP, picking up the option is a no brainer.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify, his player option is for 1 year, $13M.
True. I didn't clarify that.

As short as we are at SP, picking up the option is a no brainer.
Seemingly so, but if he reverts to previous years' performance during the rest of the year then..........??

Also it is possible he gets traded before the deadline. He is over 30 now. I know they need pitching but he might not be part of the long term plans in the rebuild.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen at least 4 ex-Mariners on the all star team tonight. Zunino gets and oppo field bomb off T. Walker. And of course, Chris Taylor (LA) is an all star. Amazing how ex mariners seem to shine once leaving the M's organization. No wonder Seattle has gone all these years w/o a post season showing. Seattle fans continue to get screwed over and over for years. What a bunch of feces!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen at least 4 ex-Mariners on the all star team tonight. Zunino gets and oppo field bomb off T. Walker. And of course, Chris Taylor (LA) is an all star. Amazing how ex mariners seem to shine once leaving the M's organization. No wonder Seattle has gone all these years w/o a post season showing. Seattle fans continue to get screwed over and over for years. What a bunch of feces!
And went for Paxton and low balled the f out of Walker when he seemed very interested in coming back. Add Walker and take away Montero and would come out of the break confident in making the Wildcard game.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea I was thinking the same thing: Cruz - Zunino - Taylor and Walker.

Happy for them and their success away from loser-ville Seattle.

That clearly shows you what a mismanaged upper end staff we have steering this ship.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just pisses me off how ownership either doesn't see how screwed up team mis-management is (Dipoto on down) or they don't give a shit. 6 years with Dipoto/Servais & co. and the rebuild continues. I know 2020 was a wash, but look at some of the dumb assed decisions that have been made. CEO/President Stanton, Root Sports, Nintendo etc. have no F'n business owning an MLB team. My guess is Portland will end up with the Oakland A's or Seattle's M's. Ownership needs to open their wallets if they ever want to see a solid post season team. Either do that, or sell to some investors who are serious baseball people. Actions speak louder than words. We've got some young talent but my fear is manaement will screw that up too. (rant done) :D

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Zunino is only an All Star because catcher offensive numbers are so atrocious. He's really not putting up better numbers than he was in Seattle (with the exception of an unsustainable HR pace this season). If he's lucky, Zunino can join the Rob Deer fan club of under .200 and 25 HRs in a season.

Cruz is a non issue for me. No matter how well he was balling for us at 37, it's hard to think the M's did anything wrong not bringing him back. No one could've predicted he'd put together what is arguably the best 3 year stretch of his career up to this point of this season at ages 38, 39 & 40.

Walker wasn't much better (if better at all) last season than his mediocre career according to the advanced metrics. despite his Toronto stretch having an amazingly low ERA. I'm glad to see he's having success, but not too upset about him being elsewhere, as he

Taylor - I can see this one. Dude was a hitting machine in AAA, but just never got enough PAs in Seattle. Glad to see him get a chance elsewhere, but his bat would be great in a line up with only 3 hitting over .250

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there was 7 total if you count guys that never actually pitched for the big club like Freddy Peralta.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zunino is only an All Star because catcher offensive numbers are so atrocious. He's really not putting up better numbers than he was in Seattle (with the exception of an unsustainable HR pace this season). If he's lucky, Zunino can join the Rob Deer fan club of under .200 and 25 HRs in a season.

Cruz is a non issue for me. No matter how well he was balling for us at 37, it's hard to think the M's did anything wrong not bringing him back. No one could've predicted he'd put together what is arguably the best 3 year stretch of his career up to this point of this season at ages 38, 39 & 40.

Walker wasn't much better (if better at all) last season than his mediocre career according to the advanced metrics. despite his Toronto stretch having an amazingly low ERA. I'm glad to see he's having success, but not too upset about him being elsewhere, as he

Taylor - I can see this one. Dude was a hitting machine in AAA, but just never got enough PAs in Seattle. Glad to see him get a chance elsewhere, but his bat would be great in a line up with only 3 hitting over .250
I agree on Cruz but I still think the Zunino trade will end up poor unless Fraley pans out because Mallex Smith was a gigantic whiff. The catcher position we are really just banking Raleigh panning out or else we wont have much there. This includes giving away Narvaez for nothing who was also an All Star.

Walker really should have been resigned, especially if the plan was to stick with a 6 man rotation so long. He didnt cost a ton, so I will feel free to call it how it is, they were being overly cheap.

Taylor was an admitted mistake by Dipoto, although I am not convinced Taylor continues down a similar path if he stays here so. So good for him that he was able to get out of here and turn into a solid player.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The thing with Zunino is his defense was good enough where you could take his batting average hovering the Mendoza line as long as he was hitting HR’s. He was rushed up for sure, but the team sucking offensively amplified his offense sucking.

With Cruz, the Mariners going into rebuild mode still need the veteran. It was probably the right thing to not sign him but on the same note since they are rebuilding they have needed someone that can fit that role of the aging veteran who can teach the young players how to become professionals. I don’t know how Seager is behind closed doors but he doesn’t seem to be that vocal leader or mentor type the young guys need.

The only thing with Walker was they didn’t even attempt to sign him. They needed another starter and only really offered Paxton. If all things were equal then I could see them going Paxton over Walker but not even attempting Walker was just negligent.

Taylor is really hard. He should’ve been given the sink or swim but wasn’t. It has been an issue with the Mariners since their last playoff run. They will give certain guys plenty of time to work it out at the big league level, while others they don’t and the guys they don’t almost always go and have at least 1 or 2 great seasons. But I don’t think there is a person who could honestly say they saw Taylor turning into what he has become though.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with Zunino is his defense was good enough where you could take his batting average hovering the Mendoza line as long as he was hitting HR’s. He was rushed up for sure, but the team sucking offensively amplified his offense sucking.

Point was that Zunino being an all star is a fluke. He's the same player he was with Seattle, horrible contact, plus power, well above average defender. Honestly, I love Z, and am happy he got a nod, but he could've put up the exact numbers in Seattle, been left off the AS roster and everyone here would complain about how he can't hit.

The only thing with Walker was they didn’t even attempt to sign him. They needed another starter and only really offered Paxton. If all things were equal then I could see them going Paxton over Walker but not even attempting Walker was just negligent.

Meh, I wasn't a fan of the Paxton signing (too much money for an oft injured prove it deal). I'm also not a fan of the six man rotation, or 80 pitch outings for starters. In the long run, I think Gilbert, Flexen and Dunn have shown enough that I'm not upset we didn't pick up Walker (granted that's assuming that it's one of them that would be replaced by Walker in the rotation).