• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kickers

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's more often than not that kickers not drafted in fantasy drafts August/Sept. end up leading the league. it why those people who take Tucker in the 12th are just so damned laughable

I don't do it personally but I believe the strategy is that you get an advantage over roughly 2/3 of your league by taking Tucker early, who seems to perennially be a top 5 kicker

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A spectacular FF kicker might average you 2 points a week over most of your competition, a very good one 1 point, and if you're scuffling you'll lose a point. About the same as a WR3. But unlike your bench players, kickers have no upside. There's no, "if Montgomery goes down, Herbert will be a beast" for kickers.

On the other hand you always start a kicker, and although a few undrafted kickers will rise to the top there's no reason to think you'll be the guy who snags one.

For me it depends where things stand when that part of the draft rolls around. I took Tucker in the 11th in BOTG because I was looking at two TEs and a backup QB for the last three rounds and I was pretty sure they'd be available. If I had managed to get a TE I wanted earlier I would probably still be looking to fill a WR/RB slot in the 11th and would have ended up with a kicker in the 13th.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
finding teams whose offense can move the ball but stall out in the red zone is your perfect kicker. Cowboys used to be killer at this. (Bailey was awesome) Nowadays though they dont even have a real kicker on the team.
My league you lose 3 pts if you miss a fg so the long-range kicker comes with risk. (5 pts for 50+)

Now if I can get a kicker from a high scoring offense (if it is a bunch of tds) I dont mind grabbing them. They will get me consistent points & I prefer that over boom or bust. FYI the raiders kicker was my leagues #1 scoring kicker. Not the rams, bills, Bengal's or chiefs. (or the like)
What I wont do is draft one of the popular ones to early. If there is one late in my draft sure I will take him. I have been in drafts where a kicker doesnt even get picked.
If I am not satisfied with my kicker I will play the waiver wire game until someone drops their good kicker on their bye week for another.
Then I will swoop him up dropping a bench player. Then the next week drop my unsatisfactory kicker for my new good kicker (who has already had a bye) & possibly pick up my bench player again. (or improve that spot as well)

I ended up stealing Bass last year from someone & was able to draft him late this year. He will score me consistently good points & didnt cost me a good draft pick.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have six leagues (three dynasties, one keep-6, two redrafts)

Matt Prater is my kicker in six leagues

Two weeks…. two points… total.

Not taking the bait. Drop you and you’ll go off for five FG next week.

But damn, man.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two weeks…. two points… total.

Not taking the bait. Drop you and you’ll go off for five FG next week.

But damn, man.

I literally drafted Prater in my $ league because of this post.

I’m done.

AZ offense just isn’t consistent enough.