• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin Na. Slams US Open Rough at Erin Hills.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't hit it over there Kevin!

Seriously...I'm not sure how far offline that was, but it does seem like the deep fescue is really in play. Once the fans are there to trample it down it won't be quite as bad, but if that were me, I might run out of balls!

Personally, I like a tough USO setup...particularly one that punishes really bad drives, but really heavy rough 5 yds off the green takes all of the creativity and skill away from the players...basically hit and hope which I don't like to see.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't hit it over there Kevin!

Seriously...I'm not sure how far offline that was, but it does seem like the deep fescue is really in play. Once the fans are there to trample it down it won't be quite as bad, but if that were me, I might run out of balls!

Personally, I like a tough USO setup...particularly one that punishes really bad drives, but really heavy rough 5 yds off the green takes all of the creativity and skill away from the players...basically hit and hope which I don't like to see.

I think the real factor is lost balls.

That should be the barometer when the rough is to tall. Good golf is making the golfer choose his poison when in bad rough. Take the drop or try to pitch out.

But if you have too many balls being lost outright ...where is the drama in that? It's bad for the golfer & bad for the viewing public.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McIlroy stated that the fairways are wider than most any US Open ever, and if you hit it out there, you deserve the punishment. Spieth said that he was in the fescue where some recovery shots made it to the green whereas some you just had to get it back onto the fairway - ie not all locations were death traps.

Therefore, I'll just quote Jack in saying 'cross Kevin Na off the list of guys you have to worry about.'

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the real factor is lost balls.

That should be the barometer when the rough is to tall. Good golf is making the golfer choose his poison when in bad rough. Take the drop or try to pitch out.

But if you have too many balls being lost outright ...where is the drama in that? It's bad for the golfer & bad for the viewing public.

Agreed...one or two lost balls is no big deal imo, but if 3 out of every 10 balls going in the deep rough requires the 5 min max to find it...it becomes too hard to watch.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a major championship is supposed to have rough that isn't hard to play out of?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McIlroy stated that the fairways are wider than most any US Open ever, and if you hit it out there, you deserve the punishment. Spieth said that he was in the fescue where some recovery shots made it to the green whereas some you just had to get it back onto the fairway - ie not all locations were death traps.

Therefore, I'll just quote Jack in saying 'cross Kevin Na off the list of guys you have to worry about.'

Well - I guess that McIlroy got what he deserved. He might want to just keep quiet and play next time.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well - I guess that McIlroy got what he deserved. He might want to just keep quiet and play next time.

Why should he keep quiet? Because he had a bad week? He's only stating his opinion, and his opinion should carry a lot of weight given his stature in today's game.